HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:35 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi Alek,
I agree with your assessment for an FCB at 5x the retail cost.... Or were you able to get the DJI NAZA somewhere for under $150 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2506
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Nope, paid 190€, which is around US$247. I wanted it quickly, so I bought it from local re-seller.

How did you find that post? Did you remember I said that some time ago?

Well, to be honest, I got tired with those cheap boards, I had 2 MWC, like 4 KK board, now FF and all worked well but not perfect. So I asked myself if it is worth that hassle with constant setting up, tuning and not getting results I would like to have...

Oh, and my first quad was xAricraft X600D some time a year ago. Control board just broke for no reason, new one costs $150 and it is gyro only board (or not? anyway, it's really crappy not worth a penny), so comparing to Naza... judge yourself.

I am sure in a year FF or Rabbit will be as good as Naza, but I just do not want to wait a year or who knows for how long...

Jim, the main reason I decided to get Naza was that I was setting up Naza for a friend who has no RC knowledge. I set it up and flew it and I said to myself "Wow!"
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Last edited by alek3d; Apr 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
S,
You "might" save a couple of days with the GLB FEDEX, but from unfortunate experiences not enough to justify the extra cost.

The FF has its own on-board BECs for 5v and 3v. The voltage spikes you mention were found on HappySunday's FF on the initial power on the I2c. I could not duplicate that on my FF scope testing. No problems with it here in several months of flying it. As always YMMV

On the FF the ESC BECs only supply power to the camera servos, so you would only need a separate BEC to power those, which is a best multicopter practice anyway, if your ESCs do not have a BEC.

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks for the info and quick reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
I hope you won't call me spammer, but I have FF board for sale, used a couple of months. The board works great, it has v1.24 FW.
I am asking US$50 or 40, free shipping, PayPal only.

I am located in Europe, so in case you do not want to wait 3 weeks for the board, sent me a PM.

Reason: bought Naza.
Pm sent
seeyalaterbye is offline Find More Posts by seeyalaterbye
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Cheers Alek3d,
I wanted some real input from someone who has played with both to decide if it was worth throwing a bit more money at this quadcopter stuff. having only so far played with a KK board and now a Multiwii SE board I wanted to know what people thought of the professional stuff on the market.
I must admit the Naza does sound like a great product. I am sure the homebrew stuff will get towards that level with time but for now I might just grab a Naza to play with as well.
ausi1972 is offline Find More Posts by ausi1972
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausi1972 View Post
Cheers Alek3d,
I wanted some real input from someone who has played with both to decide if it was worth throwing a bit more money at this quadcopter stuff. having only so far played with a KK board and now a Multiwii SE board I wanted to know what people thought of the professional stuff on the market.
I must admit the Naza does sound like a great product. I am sure the homebrew stuff will get towards that level with time but for now I might just grab a Naza to play with as well.
I have naza and its awesome. It does everything it is supposed to. The stability its really something else. I'm just looking for a board that will allow acrobatics like the ff can.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
ausi1972,
it depends what you need it for. FF flies really great, if autolevel is all you need. But height lock is so good to have, especially for FPV or aerial photography, for flying around FF works just fine.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
I actually need to have several Quad's (not just for me). Once is for a friend who wants it for aerial photography. Whilst I and a couple of others want them for sport flying around in place of our CCPM helicopters.
So I guess the Naza will be best for aerial photography and the Naze32 or FF boards will suit our sport flying.
Thanks for your input guys.
ausi1972 is offline Find More Posts by ausi1972
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyalaterbye View Post
I have naza and its awesome. It does everything it is supposed to. The stability its really something else. I'm just looking for a board that will allow acrobatics like the ff can.
Can it? Autolelvel cannot be turned off, you can only activate 3D mode, which not like Acro in MultiWii. Or upload MultiWii code by Timecop and then you can fly Acro.

You can do aerobatics with Naza, just go to Manual mode.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Quote:

You can do aerobatics with Naza, just go to Manual mode.

It won't allow flips like the ff/multiwii will. I've tried almost everything.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:43 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
It won't allow flips like the ff/multiwii will. I've tried almost everything.
Really? My friend does, I did not try, I am not that good... but in manual you fly on gyros only, so it should do aerobatics.

Check this out
RC DJI Flamewheel quad copter Naza sport flying (1 min 3 sec)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Alek,
Yep I remembered your comment thinking I felt the same way about the price of the NAZA.... My motto is you can never have too many multicopters ...And the only way I do that in my meager hobby budget is to wait for price drops and sales and also buy/fix broken stuff and BIY and DIY...

A while ago I bought a used Sheng Tian Bumblebee FCB module to test. It is not really worth more than $100. It is a re-branded DJI NAZA controller with the exact same hardware and with crippled quad-only firmware. It requires ESCs with a 200-1200μs pulse width. So it requires special UltraPWM ESCs, or SimonK firmware flashed ESCs with a throttle calibration. It flies nicely too
Fly safe!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Nope, paid 190€, which is around US$247. I wanted it quickly, so I bought it from local re-seller.

How did you find that post? Did you remember I said that some time ago?

Well, to be honest, I got tired with those cheap boards, I had 2 MWC, like 4 KK board, now FF and all worked well but not perfect. So I asked myself if it is worth that hassle with constant setting up, tuning and not getting results I would like to have...

Oh, and my first quad was xAricraft X600D some time a year ago. Control board just broke for no reason, new one costs $150 and it is gyro only board (or not? anyway, it's really crappy not worth a penny), so comparing to Naza... judge yourself.

I am sure in a year FF or Rabbit will be as good as Naza, but I just do not want to wait a year or who knows for how long...

Jim, the main reason I decided to get Naza was that I was setting up Naza for a friend who has no RC knowledge. I set it up and flew it and I said to myself "Wow!"
Last edited by jesolins; Apr 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Really? My friend does, I did not try, I am not that good... but in manual you fly on gyros only, so it should do aerobatics.

Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGYpawpUyHo
I can do stuff like that with naza fairly easily, im trying to get tight flips like in warthox's video. I'm not as good as he is but I'm not bad either lol
Every rate setting I've tried with naza won't allow flips like what warthox can get.. not even close to that tight.

Meh if I'm wrong and there is a way to do it, I blame tc, he's the one who sent me here hahahaha sorry tc
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
41 Posts
FF IMU calibration

Hello,

I have firmwave 1.24. I can initiate calibration via my transmitter and it takes about 30 ~ 40 seconds to complete. I see a red LED flash a few times followed by a long beep then the green LED goes out. Does IMU calibration have error states that I can debug via the LEDs? In other words how do I know the IMU calibration completed correctly?

I still have an issue where upon trying to lift off, it slides quickly to the right side (viewed from the rear of the X configuration). I don't have enough room to pop it up off the ground before sliding too far along the ground... I have calibrated the sticks and IMU....I tried shimming the board. Any ideas?

PS....I have not run the PID upper machine app, my arms length is 9" from mounting plate to tip. Does the FF come set up for that by default?
macgman2000 is offline Find More Posts by macgman2000
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi M,
Yes the IMU calibration does take that long and is finished when the green LED goes off. Make sure your model has a level prop plane when you do the IMU calibration and do not move it at all. I don't know if the LEDs offer debugging, but you should look at the gyro graphs to see if they are smooth when the model is stationary and respond equally on the pitch and roll axis. When you do your RC calibration, make sure the trims and subtrims are zero on the Tx. After the FF ZN RC calibration adjust your subtrims to make the neutral sticks zero on the ZN sliders.

With a 9in/22cm multicopter you should load the PID utility defaults for 22cm and then test fly. Since you can't do a read on the PID values without extracting and viewing the firmware, it is best to load the defaults and write down or copy any changes you might have made for future reference.

Also make sure your motors all spin by hand freely and the same to make sure bearings are not causing your drifting.

Did you do a proper ESC throttle calibration?

BTW the "Upper Machine app" is the ZN setup application and the "PID debug utility" is the other app.

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgman2000 View Post
Hello,

I have firmwave 1.24. I can initiate calibration via my transmitter and it takes about 30 ~ 40 seconds to complete. I see a red LED flash a few times followed by a long beep then the green LED goes out. Does IMU calibration have error states that I can debug via the LEDs? In other words how do I know the IMU calibration completed correctly?

I still have an issue where upon trying to lift off, it slides quickly to the right side (viewed from the rear of the X configuration). I don't have enough room to pop it up off the ground before sliding too far along the ground... I have calibrated the sticks and IMU....I tried shimming the board. Any ideas?

PS....I have not run the PID upper machine app, my arms length is 9" from mounting plate to tip. Does the FF come set up for that by default?
Last edited by jesolins; Apr 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
S,
Anyway it is perhaps better/wiser to do the flips with a $12 to $50 KK/MWC/FF with MWC32 firmware that Warhox typically uses Then there is less crying when the wannabe Warthox acrobatics go bad BTW you can do flips with TC's AfroFlight32 aka NAZE board with MWC32 on it too
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
I can do stuff like that with naza fairly easily, im trying to get tight flips like in warthox's video. I'm not as good as he is but I'm not bad either lol
Every rate setting I've tried with naza won't allow flips like what warthox can get.. not even close to that tight.

Meh if I'm wrong and there is a way to do it, I blame tc, he's the one who sent me here hahahaha sorry tc