HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:59 AM
Joined Dec 2009
71 Posts
Thanks for your reply TC.
I am putting together a few quad for friends one wants it for aerial photography so I wanted to build a very stable hovering unit for him with good alt hold.
I also want to get one set-up for others which is good for sport flying (we are coming from flying CCPM heli's).
ausi1972 is offline Find More Posts by ausi1972
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Great aerial video/photo has been done with kkboards, so I doubt hardware is what will be stopping you from performing your task.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Dec 2009
71 Posts
Good I will play with my existing KK board and Multiwii boards until I get your Naze board delivered.
Can I put a sonar sensor on your Naze board?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
You can put sonar on whatever, but until I or someone who actually wants to make it work writes the code, it won't do anything. I gotta warn you though, hovering 1 meter above ground is: boring.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined Dec 2009
71 Posts
I know about the hovering boring stuff. Just liked the idea of setting one up like the AR Drone which when switch on hovers about 1m up until you tell to go somewhere.
I'll watch for new firmware updates.
Do you know when you will be getting any more of your ESC's in?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
After 26th.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:57 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Hi TC,
Good to know that you have folks back home while you are gone so the wheels of progress continue in your absence
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Nah man stuff still goes out daily just without presoldered headers.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
A,
It will do that if you do not have an Rx hooked up to it and have not yet done the RC calibration and saved it to the FF.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreujojo View Post
Hi Jim, when I flash with fix firmware, i unplug the USB on FF. I boot FF the Led blink: red blue. After I reflash with 1.24. After when I start ZN app. Everything Is blank. I clic on imu calibration... But my FF beep such long time...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
Hi timecop,

I made some crap thing when I flash to upgrade 2.22 to 2.24. I erased all before (I believe it was nice). So now my FF is completely f**k up... I can't fix nothing... FF doesn't work even I update Fix firmware... Do you have an idea?
affreujojo is offline Find More Posts by affreujojo
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Yeah, search this thread for "freeflight_fix_flash.zip".
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1327893905
Write that first, reboot, watch leds flash, then flash back whatever FF/MWC firmware.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Sorry bout the off topic, my over eagerness got the best of me lol.

I ended up ordering a ff from glb. Paid extra for fedex. Hopefully that makes a difference.

I do have a quick question though. I plan on reusing my dji motors and esc's, I'm going to avoid the frame and just build my own this weekend. I plan on running everything on 4s. After reading about the voltage spikes and whatnot, this make me a little nervous. Since the dji esc does not have a bec, should I just use an external bec to power the board or is really something I should worry about and just run it off the main pack?
seeyalaterbye is offline Find More Posts by seeyalaterbye
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
S,
You "might" save a couple of days with the GLB FEDEX, but from unfortunate experiences not enough to justify the extra cost.

The FF has its own on-board BECs for 5v and 3v. The voltage spikes you mention were found on HappySunday's FF on the initial power on the I2c. I could not duplicate that on my FF scope testing. No problems with it here in several months of flying it. As always YMMV

On the FF the ESC BECs only supply power to the camera servos, so you would only need a separate BEC to power those, which is a best multicopter practice anyway, if your ESCs do not have a BEC.

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyalaterbye View Post
Sorry bout the off topic, my over eagerness got the best of me lol.

I ended up ordering a ff from glb. Paid extra for fedex. Hopefully that makes a difference.

I do have a quick question though. I plan on reusing my dji motors and esc's, I'm going to avoid the frame and just build my own this weekend. I plan on running everything on 4s. After reading about the voltage spikes and whatnot, this make me a little nervous. Since the dji esc does not have a bec, should I just use an external bec to power the board or is really something I should worry about and just run it off the main pack?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
I hope you won't call me spammer, but I have FF board for sale, used a couple of months. The board works great, it has v1.24 FW.
I am asking US$50 or 40€, free shipping, PayPal only.

I am located in Europe, so in case you do not want to wait 3 weeks for the board, sent me a PM.

Reason: bought Naza.
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Dec 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
I hope you won't call me spammer, but I have FF board for sale, used a couple of months. The board works great, it has v1.24 FW.
I am asking US$50 or 40, free shipping, PayPal only.

I am located in Europe, so in case you do not want to wait 3 weeks for the board, sent me a PM.

Reason: bought Naza.
I am interested to know what you thought about the difference between the FF board to the Naza?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:29 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Autolovel is pretty much the same, ie. really great (better than MultiWii). Naza has outstanding altitude hold, although works the best in hovering, when I move e.g. forward it tends to lose height a bit, especially if I want to fly faster, so still need to add some more throttle.

I've seen some videos made at -10 Celsius, so looks like Naza does not have problem in cold environment, while my FF did have problems.

Naza has fully manual mode (gyros only), which works great for sport flying, FF has only some kind of weird "3D" mode, which is questionable how it works. I only tried it once and I crashed.

Naza is really very easy to setup via PC, very user friendly GUI. FF is also easy to setup but that ZN program is a kind of unfinished or so. It happened to me too, that some of the settings did not get saved, e.g. voltage alarm checked, saved to the board. It did not work, when I reconnected I found out it remained unchecked. After several attempts it got saved but... you know... kind of annoying.

Naza is perfectly factory calibrated (acc and gyros), so that part is out too. It flew nearly perfect with default settings on my home made quad, same I flew FF. I just raised the gains a bit and works perfect now.

Thorttle response is much smoother and it appears to have a lot more power with the same motors props and ESCs. FF a kind of limits thorttle range or something.

Attitude (autolevel, height lock) gain settings are included in GUI program, FF has some weird application that has only one way communication and you are not sure if it did something or not (when flying I could see it did, but again, not very comfy to setup).

Naza is in nice small box, plastic looks really strong so if I did not have a dome it maybe could survive even direct impacts. It has more mixer types than FF (if I do not count those available in MWC code in FF). It also has faile safe and auto landing (if signal is lost or baterry goes flat)

So, overall I would say Naza is more mature and the price difference can be justified.
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Last edited by alek3d; Apr 19, 2012 at 08:37 AM.