HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:37 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,227 Posts
Timecop, any ideas what could cause my problems with only 2 motors spinning with MWC firmware? It happened when I recalibrated ESCs with your new feature and since then only two motors spin when using MW firmware, no matter what version, no matter if I recalibrate ESCs one by one, no matter if I go back to 1.24 and recalibrate EScs there with ZN application (in 1.24 all motors work normally).

Please also see here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2406

Does MW firmware write some data somewhere that do not get overwritten that would cause that behavior? It looks ESCs are ok, motors ok and since stock FW works, I believe the board is ok too, so I am a kind of clueless why would only 2 motors work anytime I upload MW firmware...
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
By the way, you do know that motor numbering changes between multiwii and Freeflight, right?
multiwii motors go to 1234, where freeflight goes to 3456.. anyway, if stuff doesn't start, recalibrate throttle with normal transmitter.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:59 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
By the way, you do know that motor numbering changes between multiwii and Freeflight, right?
multiwii motors go to 1234, where freeflight goes to 3456.. anyway, if stuff doesn't start, recalibrate throttle with normal transmitter.
Aaaah, I do know that, but I think I did not enable PTZ after update so that might be it.

With servo tilt enabled motors are 3456, without 1234, right? I am sure that would be it, but I will test and report back. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Yes, it is. new manual for naze32 covers this in detail, check over it. Motors shift numbers when you enable ptz.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it is. new manual for naze32 covers this in detail, check over it. Motors shift numbers when you enable ptz.
TC, that was it!!! When I reconnected motors to 1234 they all work now.

I do have your manual, I know motor numbering is different, but I was so excited that after I reflashed to latest MWC I calibrated ESCs using your new feature and I simply forgot that w/o tilt enabled motor numbering goes 1234 instead of 3456... that's all.

I made a simple manual how to flash FF to MWC (collected pieces of information from here and there) and made a package so I might upload it here when I re-edit the document. It may help to others like me to easily go through this transition, and that would be my contribution since I am not that smart like you....
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Jun 2005
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
TC, that was it!!! When I reconnected motors to 1234 they all work now.

I do have your manual, I know motor numbering is different, but I was so excited that after I reflashed to latest MWC I calibrated ESCs using your new feature and I simply forgot that w/o tilt enabled motor numbering goes 1234 instead of 3456... that's all.

I made a simple manual how to flash FF to MWC (collected pieces of information from here and there) and made a package so I might upload it here when I re-edit the document. It may help to others like me to easily go through this transition, and that would be my contribution since I am not that smart like you....
Please do share the manual when you are happy with the edits. I am sure that it will help a lot of other folks.!
finkbuilt is offline Find More Posts by finkbuilt
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
113 Posts
Quote:
You can use a FTDI usb/serial adapter (which will work on a mac) and reflash the board with MWC firmware There's nothing special about the serial converter provided with FreeFlight - besides the fact that it uses some random Chinese usbserial chip which isn't supported.
I see. Cool.

So I should just be able to use this with the FF flashloader / ZN app? :

http://www.adafruit.com/products/284
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:30 PM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
On mwc firmware? Do post a screenshot of your settings
Ok, I have a second tweak. I made a different averaging routine for the BMP085

Here the code (base is Multiwii 2.0). I use 0.9,0.20,7 as ALT PID settings
pm1 is offline Find More Posts by pm1
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Jun 2005
113 Posts
Quote:
You can use a FTDI usb/serial adapter (which will work on a mac) and reflash the board with MWC firmware There's nothing special about the serial converter provided with FreeFlight - besides the fact that it uses some random Chinese usbserial chip which isn't supported.
TC-

If I were to connect with this "FTDI friend" which connector would be "boot mode" and which one would be "config mode" or whatever you want to call it?

Because this one has 6 pins and no AB switch. RX, TX, VCC, and GND seem straightforward, but not sure about how to translate RTS and CTS to the freeFlight usb device.

thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Boot switch just shorts one of the pins to 3v.
You only need tx, rx, gnd from the ftdi cable.
I'll try to find my ftdi adapter and take connection pics.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
Deutschland, HB, Bremen
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
original adapter works with 4k7 resistor between V and B pins for BOOT0 !
snapper1234 is offline Find More Posts by snapper1234
Last edited by snapper1234; Mar 25, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jun 2005
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper1234 View Post
original adapter works with 4k7 resistor between V and B pins for BOOT0 !
Danke, Snapper!.

So, FF is:
Rx <------------> Rx
Tx <------------> Tx

but with FTDI it should be:

Rx <-----------> Tx
Tx <-----------> Rx

I suppose that the FF programmer is labeled that way so that idiots like me don't get confused
Last edited by finkbuilt; Mar 25, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Nice, thanks snapper. Saved me time looking for it
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
Deutschland, HB, Bremen
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
no problem,
I tried it with an old usb to cell phone cable with PL2303 chip
(similar to the ebay offer), has also worked !
(i had first driver problem with the original chip CH340T)

PL2303 Chip USB Adapter on Ebay < 3$
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:58 PM
Deutschland, HB, Bremen
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbuilt View Post
but with FTDI it should be:
Rx <-----------> Tx
Tx <-----------> Rx
yes,thats right
usually comes Rx (receive) on the opposite side to Tx (transmitt) and vice versa.
if it does not work, change simply, because nothing can break !