HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2001
137 Posts
Using FF only for gimbal functions

Hi all, I do not have a quad but bought this FC solely for the gimbal stabilization functions for my heli gimbal- tilt & roll.

After connecting to the receiver and calibrating the endpoints of throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder, I enabled PTZ. Obviously I cannot calibrate the ESC since I don't have a quad. After arming the FC, I cannot get the gimbol servos to work.

BTW, the sensors are working, I can see the live data on the graph.

What am I doing wrong? I have 1.07 GUI and 1.24 firmware. Thanks for your help.

Pat L
Makiedog is offline Find More Posts by Makiedog
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papiti View Post
Thanks for this guide, Tom, seems very useful. Actually, I copied it immediately when I saw it, one week ago. I will try it.

I need to hold the FMC5883L breakout on my quad in the right direction. Is sticking it on double face tape a good idea?
Like I mounted my Mag. No probs at all.
xcopter is offline Find More Posts by xcopter
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Hi Pat,
You still have to do the RC calibration and move the variable POTIs and or switches you have set up and connected to control your gimbal servos during that calibration. Make sure that you have the correct camera servo pins connected on the FF and the values and checks put into the FF ZN setup too. See FF Tx channel reversal and camera pitch control 101

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makiedog View Post
Hi all, I do not have a quad but bought this FC solely for the gimbal stabilization functions for my heli gimbal- tilt & roll.

After connecting to the receiver and calibrating the endpoints of throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder, I enabled PTZ. Obviously I cannot calibrate the ESC since I don't have a quad. After arming the FC, I cannot get the gimbol servos to work.

Pat L
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Mar 23, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Beauvechain
Joined Mar 2012
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcopter View Post
Like I mounted my Mag. No probs at all.
OK, thanks.
Papiti is offline Find More Posts by Papiti
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makiedog View Post

Pat L
In addition to what jesolins mentioned, one thing that initially cause me confusion is the servo side of the FF board is powered separately from the RX side. Just supplying power to the board via powered RX channel connections will not give power to the servos. It's necessary to supply power to the FF board via it's dedicated battery connection OR by a jumper connecting the +5V (center) pin on the RX side to the +5V (center) pin of the servo side. Pics of the latter is shown here if you scan back through the threads or so a search.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Did you download latest hex? I made like 3 different changes, last one should have fixed the ppm/pwm receiver making it calibrate. And Yea, I think ppm code needs some sanity checks on random input.
Hmmm, I redownloaded latest hex, reflashed, recalibrated, still two of the motors don't spin. When connected directly to RX, they work. When I connected "non-spinning" motors to board outputs of the motors that spin, they too spin.

It looks like they get initialized all 4, but when armed only two of them work...

Downgrading to baseflight-20120319.hex did not help, even though it flew yesterday. Going back to FF 1.24 makes them spin all again....

I use cheapo HK SS programmable ESCs.

UPDATE: I tried to connect servo to the board output of the motor that does not work and servo also does not move when moving throttle stick. Servo should move, right?
UPDATE 2: I connected servo to the output for the motor that works and servo is moving when I move throttle stick. So it looks like for some reason the board does not control two of the motors.

All motors work when going back to FF 1.24, which is confusing... board looks ok, ESCs and motors look ok. So it is probably something with MWC code...
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Last edited by alek3d; Mar 24, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2001
137 Posts
Jesolin and Tom,
Thanks for your help. I finally got it to work, turns out the servo output bank needs a dedicated power source. Since I didn't use any ESC, I had to supply a 6v power to it and it works like a charm now.

Pat L
Makiedog is offline Find More Posts by Makiedog
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I don't know what your soldering skills are like, but this post not only shows the chip orientation but also the procedure I used to successfully (and easily, for me, even though I had not soldered an SMD chip before) solder the chip on the first try.
Hi Tom,
why did you solder the BMP085 on FF board ?
is there new firmware coming/available wich supports this chip?
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
Hi Tom,
why did you solder the BMP085 on FF board ?
is there new firmware coming/available wich supports this chip?
I hope so! Why else would they design the FF board to accept the chip? If not, the MultiWii FW can use the baro output right now if I've understood the discussion here (haven't gone that route yet). The chip was cheap and I can use the altitude hold function at some point, so I didn't want to have to disassemble the system later to add the chip.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
cereal killer
Joined Jan 2012
115 Posts
I am having a problem with my GLB Mini 400. Everything is stock so far. I put most of it together and seem to be able to bind it and when I connect it to the computer and physically move it around the display on the computer shows the movement.

But I can not seem to calibrate the TX. The manual says "Switch on channel 5 ant the green LED will come on. I am not sure how to do this. I have plugged the wires from the RX to the 5 pin, but the green light does not come on.

I have very little experience doing this, basically I can only fly an mqx.
anonamous is offline Find More Posts by anonamous
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jun 2005
113 Posts
Can't connect to Flash tool - Vista

So here is my story.

I am still waiting for my backordered 9x from HK, so I dont have a radio to hook up, but I thought that in the meantime, I could at least hook the board up to the GUI and use the motor sliders to get the rotation sorted out, test my reflashed ESCs, etc.

I have the white FF board with 1.1 or 1.2 firmware - I'm not really sure which one since the 1.5 GUI reports it as 1.1, but the 1.7 GUI reports it as 1.2.

Anyway, I am unable to connect via the usb programmer. The only windows machine I have available is running Vista, and when I plug the USB in, I get the "new hardware found" routine, but the computer is not able to find a suitable driver anywhere. when I try to browse to the FF driver, the computer does not recognize it, so I cannot install it.

The strange thing is, when I just ignore the fact that there is no driver, I am still able to connect to the "upper machine" GUI, although it doesn't seem to work, but it does let me connect, and the green light flashes rapidly on the usb programmer, indicating activity. the main graph moves as it adjusts its scale, but there are no plotted lines, and motor sliders don't work. It does confirm when I click "default settins" so it seems like it is communicating with the board.

So like I said, I was going to go ahead and update to the latest firmware to see if that helped, but the Flash tool refuses to connect, apparently unable to figure it out without the proper driver, which I cannot install in Vista.

So..... what should I do? I'm feeling kind of stuck. The FF is not dead, it sort of works. If I power it up, I get the blue light, red flash... and then 2 of the motors run when I tilt the quad back and forth...but something is not right.

any advice as to how to proceed would be great.

Wait for radio?
Somehow use a mac and avrdude to load firmware? (need instructions)
Is there another way to get the flashtool to run under vista?

thanks
finkbuilt is offline Find More Posts by finkbuilt
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
113 Posts
vista woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbuilt View Post
So here is my story.

I am still waiting for my backordered 9x from HK, so I dont have a radio to hook up, but I thought that in the meantime, I could at least hook the board up to the GUI and use the motor sliders to get the rotation sorted out, test my reflashed ESCs, etc.

I have the white FF board with 1.1 or 1.2 firmware - I'm not really sure which one since the 1.5 GUI reports it as 1.1, but the 1.7 GUI reports it as 1.2.

Anyway, I am unable to connect via the usb programmer. The only windows machine I have available is running Vista, and when I plug the USB in, I get the "new hardware found" routine, but the computer is not able to find a suitable driver anywhere. when I try to browse to the FF driver, the computer does not recognize it, so I cannot install it.

The strange thing is, when I just ignore the fact that there is no driver, I am still able to connect to the "upper machine" GUI, although it doesn't seem to work, but it does let me connect, and the green light flashes rapidly on the usb programmer, indicating activity. the main graph moves as it adjusts its scale, but there are no plotted lines, and motor sliders don't work. It does confirm when I click "default settins" so it seems like it is communicating with the board.

So like I said, I was going to go ahead and update to the latest firmware to see if that helped, but the Flash tool refuses to connect, apparently unable to figure it out without the proper driver, which I cannot install in Vista.

So..... what should I do? I'm feeling kind of stuck. The FF is not dead, it sort of works. If I power it up, I get the blue light, red flash... and then 2 of the motors run when I tilt the quad back and forth...but something is not right.

any advice as to how to proceed would be great.

Wait for radio?
Somehow use a mac and avrdude to load firmware? (need instructions)
Is there another way to get the flashtool to run under vista?

thanks
Maybe I said too much.

Is there anyway to use this FF FC under vista or a mac?

thanks
finkbuilt is offline Find More Posts by finkbuilt
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonamous View Post
I am having a problem with my GLB Mini 400. Everything is stock so far. I put most of it together and seem to be able to bind it and when I connect it to the computer and physically move it around the display on the computer shows the movement.

But I can not seem to calibrate the TX. The manual says "Switch on channel 5 ant the green LED will come on. I am not sure how to do this. I have plugged the wires from the RX to the 5 pin, but the green light does not come on.

I have very little experience doing this, basically I can only fly an mqx.
Connect channel 5 on your receiver to channel 5 on the FF board. On your transmitter, program one of the switches so that it runs channel five. This is usually done with a mix setting. On the turnigy 9X you can do this via an auxillary channel function.

Once the switch on your transmitter is programmed, power on the FF board and receiver and move the switch. The green light on the FF board should come on indicating it has entered the calibration mode.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,214 Posts
TC, is the white board from Eforchina the same quality as the others ?
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Hi F,
The ZN app works under Win7 so likely it will work in Vista, but Good Lord Man...get Win7 Like Win7 you have to right-click on the setup.exe and "Install as Administrator" or it will not work properly. With a MAC you would have to use Parallels or some other similar dual boot utility. Make sure your FF USB adapter switch is in the correct position too. Without a TX and Rx setup through the ZN app, you won't be able to properly calibrate your ESCs either, so that could cause motor start problems using the ZN application too.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbuilt View Post
Maybe I said too much.

Is there anyway to use this FF FC under vista or a mac?

thanks
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins