HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Ok, the fix worked. Thanks guys. Initial hovers in the basement are extremely stable. Way more than I have been able to accomplish otherwise. Looking forward to trying it out at the field tomorrow.

Thanks.
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jun 2006
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifraf View Post
Ok, the fix worked. Thanks guys. Initial hovers in the basement are extremely stable. Way more than I have been able to accomplish otherwise. Looking forward to trying it out at the field tomorrow.

Thanks.
Hi,

How did you setup your PID? Mine seem to wobble quite a bit. I already brought the slider to the left almost all the way already.
RiceRocketCar is offline Find More Posts by RiceRocketCar
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
What slider?
I'm sure he's talking about MWC firmware, not FF
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceRocketCar View Post
Hi,

How did you setup your PID? Mine seem to wobble quite a bit. I already brought the slider to the left almost all the way already.
Yeah, no sliders in FF. Set it up as 330 mm, no other changes. Will try it out tomorrow at the field.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jun 2006
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
What slider?
I'm sure he's talking about MWC firmware, not FF
I thought he said he had the same issue as mine with the FF firmware earlier.
RiceRocketCar is offline Find More Posts by RiceRocketCar
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:31 AM
APM Copter Developer
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Ferrara
Joined Apr 2009
193 Posts
Nice work timecop!
Marco67 is offline Find More Posts by Marco67
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
There's I2C pads on the bottom of the board, labeled C/D/GND. Its been shown in one of the pics attached to the thread. So you just connect the breakout SCL (C), SDA (D), GND, and 3V. Not difficult.
I have some question connect to HMC5883L sensor on FF board.
Is it correct link to HMC5883L on FF board? then VCC is null?
asklj is offline Find More Posts by asklj
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
VCC should go to 3.3V pad, top middle pad of the 3 unmarked ones below 6 PWM plugs is 3.3V. Top side of the board, not bottom side.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I had my first quad flight tonight thanks to you guys!

When I say flight, I mean it was off the ground by at least a metre and was controllable. It is currently oscillating a lot but using snapper1234's PID tool (thanks for that!) and 330mm default settings I got to hover.

Tuning:
I can reduce P all the way to 10, though it would seem 15 gives a more authority in regaining level but, with them all it still wobbles significantly.
Changing P to 15 and then I to 3, reduces the wobbles but it struggles to find level and continues off in the direction it was heading for a while.
D ... I've not tried much with this figuring that I probably needed to fix P and I before messing about with D

I'm flying a 160/165mm shaft to shaft frame in + config using the white FF board and latest FF firmware. 92mm 3 blade props and 9g 2200kv motors (both + mini frame from infinity-hobby).

My next thought is to try P20, I3, D25... does anyone have any better suggestions?
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:37 PM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Beauvechain
Joined Mar 2012
100 Posts
Hi,

Did I well understood it is not possible to have both BMP085 and HMC5883L connected to the FF board?
Papiti is offline Find More Posts by Papiti
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
First flights at the field today went WONDERFULLY. I was using 1.24 FF software. IT was extremely stable, with just some wobble on fast descents. I was wishing I could turn 3D mode on via switch, I was getting confidence to try some tricks. I'm thinking I'm going to go back now to TC's MWC and compare.

I could see how headfree mode might help as a bailout. At one point I got far enough away I couldn't see and thought I was heading toward me, and ended up going further away. Level mode really helped, here though, as I just got level, then was able to use a few maneuvers figure out which way it was pointed.

All in all, a lot of fun.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
Deutschland, HB, Bremen
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papiti View Post
Hi, Did I well understood it is not possible to have both BMP085 and HMC5883L connected to the FF board?
it works, I think the BMP085 also required EOC and XCLR lines, VCC 3.3V !

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1751
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1756
snapper1234 is offline Find More Posts by snapper1234
Last edited by snapper1234; Mar 17, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Aug 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
Here's the kind of fun you can have if you add a HMC5883L breakout to your freeflight board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYkQmQP5ZU8
are those oscillations on take off normal with that sensor? or does it just need some tuning?

seems like the motors are doing a little more work... but really cool!
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
IMU Calibration - error or "undocumented feature"?

I'm doing calibration of my white 1.2/1.3 version of the FF controller. I have v1.24 firmware in the FF board and am using v1.0.7 of the ZN Upper Machine configuration program guided by the User Guide dated 02-26-2012 from post #1, so I think I have all the latest version of everything.

The basic settings all went well and system settings all looked to set as they should, and so did the IMU calibration, up to a point.

I have the board sitting level on my slate pool table. The FF board boots up with the designated sequence of LED flashes and beeps and the IMU calibration process triggers by moving both sticks up and outward as the manual states, but it's also triggered by both stick up and inward, which is not mentioned. I figured this might be similar to the controller arming process, which works with both sticks down and either in together or out together, so I didn't get concerned (yet). I let the IMU alibration go to completion with both methods, and it appeared to complete OK, ending with the specified single buzzer beep and extinction of the Green LED.

BUT, in both methods, right after the GREEN LED goes out, I get another buzzer beep followed by three flashes of the RED LED, which then goes out. SO... is this another undocumented feature or error alert. I can find nothing here that explains this, or did I miss it?

<EDIT> If it makes a difference, I don't have my motors hooked up during any of this... didn't think it should matter for calibrating the sticks and setting level reference for the controller board. <EDIT>
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
64 Posts
okay so after i replaced the props with 3 bladed 10x6, loaded the PID's from the PID.exe this is the result. MUCH better performance. The only thing now is using 3s 2200 battery I just get 4 minutes of fly time. I bought two 2s 6000 thinking that this would get me much longer fly time. But in tests the power I get from the 2s 6000 is about half of what I get with the 3s 2200. Is this normal?

FILE2950 (4 min 2 sec)
youngti is offline Find More Posts by youngti
Last edited by youngti; Mar 18, 2012 at 03:31 AM.