HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I've been reading of your 3S motor speed problem...strange! I hope I don't have that. The wrong motors were sent with my quad frame and controller, so new ones just got in the mail today. It will be a few weeks before I am ready for first "lift off" attempt. But I can try one motor on the controller I already set up to test the motor starting performance to see if it will start smoothly on 3S.

The night flying is something I want to try, too. I know the most common LED strips operate right off 3S power, but I want to also rig up several LEDS on the 5v (I think) buzzer circuit for low battery visual alarm in lieu of the buzzer I can't hear well. Are your LEDs visible in bright sun?
Mine does not start "smoothly" and slow that you can tell but now stays on the ground with the props going until I put in a bit more throttle. Unless yours works better what I am trying to say it is hard to tell if the props are going slow enough to stay on the ground. It will be interesting to see if yours does work on 3S with a smooth throttle.

The HK LEDs are pretty useless in the daylight. Hey - I am deaf in one ear so might have to think about what you said about the 5V but like I said not much good during the day. (Well in the bright sun in Australia anyway) But I might get some 2S 5000mah so I can stay in the air for quite a while.

The LEDs work perfectly at night on the 2S LiPo as you probably know.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machina View Post
V1.4 is nice I finally got mine tuned so inside it will hover in a 1 cubic foot square without touching the controls for 4-5 second before lightly drifting to one side.

Then again I spent a good part of the day re-wiring the quad and checking alignment, so that might have helped.
I just tried mine in a single car garage and trimmed it with the trims beside the joystick on my Futaba 9C. I guess that is how you do it?

Mine is not bad now but do you need to go into the PIDs to get it perfect?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Here's the kind of fun you can have if you add a HMC5883L breakout to your freeflight board:

Naze32 autolevel + headfree (0 min 52 sec)
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Here's the kind of fun you can have if you add a HMC5883L breakout to your freeflight board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYkQmQP5ZU8
It is a 3-axis digital compass but I must be a bit slow today. It is cheap enough.

I am not sure what it is doing?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
It is a 3-axis digital compass but I must be a bit slow today. It is cheap enough.

I am not sure what it is doing?
something like this
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=925
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Cool idea. I'll read up more on this.

Thanks

Wonder if my FY21 will work on it for RTH. (as long as there are no trees or buildings in the way)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Isn't that for planes only, relying on the fact that it has a constant forward velocity vector? That doens't work on a quad.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Isn't that for planes only, relying on the fact that it has a constant forward velocity vector? That doens't work on a quad.
Sounds right . Anyway it is only three quarters installed into a plane and have not tried it yet.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:30 AM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYkQmQP5ZU8
How do you hook it up to FF?
Thanks!
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
There's I2C pads on the bottom of the board, labeled C/D/GND. Its been shown in one of the pics attached to the thread. So you just connect the breakout SCL (C), SDA (D), GND, and 3V. Not difficult.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:57 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Neat! Are those four extra solder pads on the board for another chip (e.g. GPS?) or what?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
FF firmware allows you to use I2C escs (which I don't think anyone successfully used yet - seems the model becomes uncontrollable)... So thats why they're there. Since it doesn't work anyway, might as well use it for something else..
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
is headfree already implemented in baseflight?

Regards
xcopter is offline Find More Posts by xcopter
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Yes, how else would the video work?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts