Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:11 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,417 Posts
FP,
So just cracking the throttle give you too much power? What does your multicopter weigh and what motors and props are you using? Can you post a quick video for us showing this please?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Those comments were brilliant and I have gotten it going. Thank you.

I take things slow so as not to smash them.

I put the props on and the power comes on VERY quickly. Can we use exponential or something?

I can only put the power on for a quarter of a second or it will just flip over and I guess a lot of people smash it doing that. So do I need to get the motors more even? The motors start at the same time. I just held it in my hand and put on one click of power on the TX and it was SO powerful.

Maybe have to slow the power down at the start. The prop direction and props in correct position (left and right ones) and flying X configuration. I think the switch should be off for what I am doing. (not 3D)

Now it is flyable with a bit of trimming but I would have taken a long time without your help. Thanks again.

EDIT: Just thought I need to start trimming the TX but would be good to slow down the fast motor coming on . Guess that is right.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,057 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe it is not too much power but being new at it I do not know. It will just flip over so maybe it is trimming on the TX that is required.

Here is a photo of it and it weighs 977 grams/34.5oz. The motors are EMax BL2215/20 and props are 10 X 4.5.

I will adjust the trims on the TX and will do a video tonight.

Thanks
Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
FP,
So just cracking the throttle give you too much power? What does your multicopter weigh and what motors and props are you using? Can you post a quick video for us showing this please?
Cheers,
Jim
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,417 Posts
Col,
Your props appear to be on correctly. A photo with the protective cover off so we can see the FCB orientation too perhaps please? What firmware do you have loaded?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe it is not too much power but being new at it I do not know. It will just flip over so maybe it is trimming on the TX that is required.

Here is a photo of it and it weighs 977 grams/34.5oz. The motors are EMax BL2215/20 and props are 10 X 4.5.

I will adjust the trims on the TX and will do a video tonight.

Thanks
Col
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:18 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,057 Posts
Here is a close up photo.

I have not changed the firmware that it came with. On the bottom of the calibration screen it says Firmware Version 1.22 PC Client Version 1.0.7.

So I have the same props diagonally opposite which should be correct.

Basically the front (two orange props) lift off the ground and would flip over backwards. In other words the black props are not going fast enough.

So I have not done and fine tuning and the trims on the TX do not seem to do anything. I have not done the PID stuff whatever that is.

It just flips over backwards. I can do the video tonight.

Quote:
Col,
Your props appear to be on correctly. A photo with the protective cover off so we can see the FCB orientation too perhaps please? What firmware do you have loaded?
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:45 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Here is a close up photo.

I have not changed the firmware that it came with. On the bottom of the calibration screen it says Firmware Version 1.22 PC Client Version 1.0.7.

So I have the same props diagonally opposite which should be correct.

Basically the front (two orange props) lift off the ground and would flip over backwards. In other words the black props are not going fast enough.

So I have not done and fine tuning and the trims on the TX do not seem to do anything. I have not done the PID stuff whatever that is.

It just flips over backwards. I can do the video tonight.
Make sure in the PC application, that your quad is X mode, not + mode.
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:08 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Make sure in the PC application, that your quad is X mode, not + mode.
Thanks - I am sure that I did that but will double check tonight.

I am mode 1 and moved the "Elevator" UP and "Rudder" LEFT (nearly all the way on TX trims) and instead of doing a back flip it was flipping forward. But I can not trim it and even put it back where it was doing a back flip it still was going forward until I turn it off and on again.

Something funny there.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,436 Posts
Quote:
I am mode 1 and moved the "Elevator" UP and "Rudder" LEFT (nearly all the way on TX trims) and instead of doing a back flip it was flipping forward.
Check Your connections to board. And upgrade firmware.
Actually, first upgrade firmware, re-calibrate IMU and RC, then re-check connections order (motors connections).
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,417 Posts
FP,
Do you have the motor connectors on M3-M6? We need to see how your board is oriented and know what firmware you have loaded. Yes double-check that you have X-mode and it is saved and shows up in the ZN application when you connect. Tie the model down until you solve this. You can still see it respond correctly or not with stick inputs when it is tied down and it will save it from being damaged
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Thanks - I am sure that I did that but will double check tonight.

I am mode 1 and moved the "Elevator" UP and "Rudder" LEFT (nearly all the way on TX trims) and instead of doing a back flip it was flipping forward. But I can not trim it and even put it back where it was doing a back flip it still was going forward until I turn it off and on again.

Something funny there.
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 17, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:14 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,210 Posts
jesolins, motors actually go to M3 - M6, M1 and M2 outputs are for camera stab servos.

Firepower: I am not that much experienced in multis as jesolins, but I 've built quite a few already. They usually flip when motor order is incorrect or when board orientation is incorrect (assuming your RC gear is setup correctly and IMU is calibrated well).

I would not hurry to uprgade the FW, 1.22 flies just fine, I am using stock 1.22 and I am happy with it. Good for a start. People did not report remarkable improvement in performance upgrading the FW to 1.24 so I see no point it this.

Double check your motors numbering is correct. You can do that easily using PC app. Unmount the props, then connect the FF to a PC, in the ZN application go to motors test tab. Enable it and move the slider of motor #1 and your front left motor should start spinning clockwise. Then try #2 slider, please note that this time it is rear right motor!!! also spinning clockwise. #3 - front right, #4 rear left. Please note again that this motor numbering is completely different than MultiWii or KK board.

I fly mine with trims and subtrims at zero. Zero all your trims. When connected correctly and clibrated RC and IMU, it should fly.

Good luck!
Last edited by alek3d; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:47 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,057 Posts
I have X mode selected.

I have connectors on M3 to m6 and nothing on M2.

No video yet because nearly every time I load the calibration program something goes wrong and I can not get the props to work.
My problem I do not know what I am doing with the RC Calibration and IMU. I am doing the following:
1. Turn on TX.
2. Plug in USB,
3. Turn power on to quadcopter.
4. I am leaving the switch on channel 6 and not putting it to channel 5
5. Load program.
6. Open Port.
7. The RC Calibration is already shown so I do the calibration. I have to turn off and on the Calibration a few times to get the throttle to do the full travel.
8. Where do I leave the throttle or does it not matter?
9. I click on IMU Calibration and it just shows IMU.
10. IMU completed is says Please reboot FCs power. What is FC? The FF Board/quadcopter?
11. Saved the settings.
12. PTZ is enabled with Pitch Neutral -50 / Roll Neutral-65 / Pitch Compensation -10 / Roll Compensation -10 / Pitch Locked TICKED but zero showing.
13. System Setting - 3D Flight TICKED.
14. I turned the power off to the quadcopter.
15. I pulled out the USB.
16. Now I take it outside turn on TX and plug in quad.
17. I push the two sticks together and close to me and the props used to work. Now when pushed together it beeps once and nothing but if I put the sticks together away from me it beeps twice and the green light comes on. But I cannot get the props to work.
18. If I recalibrate it another four times Iíll get the props to work.
19. Do I need to get this going properly before loading the new firmware or best to load the new firmware first?
20. As ABLomas mentioned it looks like I need to load Firmware 124. Is 124 the correct one?
21. Not that it matters at the moment as I can not get anything to work but this is the wiring:
A. Receiver aileron (1) into Channel 1 of FF.
B. Receiver elevator (2) into Channel 2 of FF.
C. Receiver throttle (3) into Channel 3 of FF.
D. Receiver rudder (4) into Channel 4 of FF.
E. Nil on 5 of FF.
F. Receiver channel 8 (my switch) to Channel 6 of FF.

22. Motor connections:
(A) M3 to left rear.
(B) M4 to right rear.
(C) M5 to front right.
(D) M6 to front left.
I just tried the calibration again and the props will not turn.

I am ready to smash it (well hopefully not after all the work to get this far)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Col

Quote:
FP,
Do you have the motor connectors on M2-M6? We need to see how your board is oriented and know what firmware you have loaded. Yes double-check that you have X-mode and it is saved and shows up in the ZN application when you connect. Tie the model down until you solve this. You can still see it respond correctly or not with stick inputs when it is tied down and it will save it from being damaged
Cheers,
Jim
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:00 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,210 Posts
10. Yes, FC stands for Flight Controller. You are supposed to unplug the battery and then plug it back. If you want to continue working with ZN app, then also close the port and reopen.

Make sure your quad is perfectly leveled when performing IMU calibration, use spirit level to make the quad be perfectly leveled. It DOES matter!

7. RC calibration. Let me quote Jim (jesolins)

Quote:
The green LED is indicating that the RC calibration is being done. The green LED should extinguish when you hit stop or flip the ch5 switch if you choose to do it that way. If you don't see the green LED responding that way then the RC calibration is not being done or saved properly. Note that when the RC calibration is being done and you are moving the sticks, the sliders do not respond during this RC calibration procedure. They will move after you stop the calibration and the green LED goes off. Make sure you end the RC calibration with the throttle stick in the full up position before you hit the stop button or the ch5 switch.
So, once you hit RC Calibration button, you should see green LED to turn on. Then you move all your sticks to the extremes. Then leave throttle at maximum. Then hit RC Clibration button and green LED should go off. If it does not, you did not complete calibration correctly.

You wiring seems to be ok.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:04 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,057 Posts
I just did that long post while you did yours and I missed yours.

So I'll stay with firmware 1.22 for now at least as you say.

I did check the motors good but I can always do it again.

It is strange that when I moved the TX trims left and UP (towards me) it flipped forward instead or reverse flip. But when I put the TX trims back it keeps flipping the new way. I have to unplug to get it to flip back again.

So I am not suppose to adjust trims but it will magically rise and stay level.

On my Futaba 9C I have the Sub-trims on zero and have zeroed the Trims. I think that is all that is necessary.

But first I need to get the props going again. If I play around with the calibration without the usb and program and put the plug from Channel 6 to Channel 5 I will get it to work. But that is not how it is suppose to be done apparently.

Good fun.

Thanks

Quote:
jesolins, motors actually go to M3 - M6, M1 and M2 outputs are for camera stab servos.

Firepower: I am not that much experienced in multis as jesolins, but I 've built quite a few already. They usually flip when motor order is incorrect or when board orientation is incorrect (assuming your RC gear is setup correctly and IMU is calibrated well).

I would not hurry to uprgade the FW, 1.22 flies just fine, I am using stock 1.22 and I am happy with it. Good for a start. People did not report remarkable improvement in performance upgrading the FW to 1.24 so I see no point it this.

Double check your motors numbering is correct. You can do that easily using PC app. Unmount the props, then connect the FF to a PC, in the ZN application go to motors test tab. Enable it and move the slider of motor #1 and your front left motor should start spinning clockwise. Then try #2 slider, please note that this time it is rear right motor!!! also spinning clockwise. #3 - front right, #4 rear left. Please note again that this motor numbering is completely different than MultiWii or KK board.

I fly mine with trims and subtrims at zero. Zero all your trims. When connected correctly and clibrated RC and IMU, it should fly.

Good luck!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:22 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,057 Posts
I did everything in you post including the green light and the motors still will not go.

I recall I was using a small battery to get the FF going first and then plugging in the big LiPo for the servos.

Is that the problem I am missing that point?

Quote:
10. Yes, FC stands for Flight Controller. You are supposed to unplug the battery and then plug it back. If you want to continue working with ZN app, then also close the port and reopen.

Make sure your quad is perfectly leveled when performing IMU calibration, use spirit level to make the quad be perfectly leveled. It DOES matter!

7. RC calibration. Let me quote Jim (jesolins)

So, once you hit RC Calibration button, you should see green LED to turn on. Then you move all your sticks to the extremes. Then leave throttle at maximum. Then hit RC Clibration button and green LED should go off. If it does not, you did not complete calibration correctly.

You wiring seems to be ok.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:26 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,210 Posts
I believe your ESCs are clibrated each one with your RX/TX. No idea about the battery. Should not matter, I think.

This is how my arming/disarming works (please note green light blinks when I do that)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtBHMB4Utw
Last edited by alek3d; Feb 17, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:46 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,057 Posts
Quote:
I believe your ESCs are clibrated each one with your RX/TX. No idea about the battery. Should not matter, I think.

This is how my arming/disarming works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtBHMB4Utw
Thanks for the video but mine seems to be completely different. Moving one stick has never done anything. I used to move the both sticks to the centre and bottom and it would work. Now just one beep when I do that and nothing.

I have to stop now and am going away for a couple of days. You all say thank goodness.

I'll update that list I started and get the procedure on the list perfect and it should work. I'll try again next week.

Thanks all.