HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Help!
Vintage Mid 80's Kyosho Yamaha rc 1/8 bike

Hi
Just received a restoration project from someone who had lost interest with it.
No info other than things its a possible Yamaha model mid 80's in origin.
Running model with all original Kyosho parts servos and receiver.
Looking to fit a hanging rider to this but not sure where to start. Also battery issue regarding upgrading such to provide more running time but don't want to take to far from original as planning to resale.
Any tips or advice greatly received

Thanks

Carl
carl hopkins is offline Find More Posts by carl hopkins
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:24 AM
Nitro! collect them all.
United States, NY, Brentwood
Joined Jan 2008
246 Posts
Got any photos to post?
malcabro racer is offline Find More Posts by malcabro racer
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:16 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
Maybe not.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Hi
Sorry for not replying have been tempted back to Cars for the moment with a project thats taking all my time
http://http://www.rcgroups.com/forum...0#post20182431

Will get some pics up asap

Carl
carl hopkins is offline Find More Posts by carl hopkins
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:27 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
This was the only bike I did not get back in the 80s, I have the Suzuki and the Honda static riders and both the Hang on riders, but now I have just won a Yamaha off the bay and should be with me shortly, anyone know where I can get a manual and decal set?
Many thanks
Steve
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,310 Posts
Steve, as for the manual, it's exactly the same as the other two.
As for stickers, I do have a photo of them, here (and the manual of the Honda, too):

http://steliosh.tripod.com/
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
Hi steliosh how you doing, Yeah I have seen them but my bike should be like this
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:06 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,310 Posts
Hey Steve!
I know! I know!

I also have one:

more:
http://www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/bikes/index.html

I m not sure I have the Yamaha manual in particular, I can take a look and scan it if you wish...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:19 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
Thanks steliosh, but I am sure I will find some over here, still waiting for it to turn up so I can complete the set but if you find anything let me know cheers,
Steve
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,310 Posts
OK! I found my YZR MK1 manual!

Here it is:

http://www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/mk1yamahascans/

It's a 19.1mb rar file of 24 jpg pics.
(right click and "save as", but you knew that already!)
Of course it's identical to the other two bikes' manuals, except where it shows where the stickers go...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:12 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
Thanks steliosh you are the man, bike turned up today bodywork in a very sorry state hope I can do something with it, thing is big lumps of it missing so got to find some more in better condition. On the plus side it came with alloy front forks and oil rear damper, I have the set now.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:37 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,310 Posts
Lovely, Steve!
Well... before you fill those forks, make sure you install a nice flexible tubing at the nipple at the bottom of the forks, and also a means to close the other side of the tubing.
Originally these forks came with some tubes that looked like fuel-tube, only very smaller ID.
Also, check that there are two small circlip like metals hanging on the top fork tubes. These are supposed to hold the other end of the tubing...
I happen to have these forks, too, but after all those years, the tubing has got brittle and lost the oil on the shelf! Pity, I know... but I never really looked for the fuel-like tubing to replace them...

I have to dig deeper to see IF I may have the instructions for the forks, too, but dont hold your breath... I m not so sure I have this paper...

At least the bike seems complete, minus -I think- one silencer from the tail section?
You could replicate that one making a copy of the other one, I guess with some crafting...
It appears it has electronics in it, though? I see an antenna hanging around!
You know it MAY be salvageable, if you happen to have any old school 27 or 75 MHZ AM 2-ch. radio!!!
My old Futaba units worked with even a 2PL radio... I once bought a Kyosho "bike system" (I dont recall the exact name or part number) from Aeronautical Models in Northern London (it must have been around the early 90s!!!) which I never managed to make work with my then new 27MHz 2 channel radios...

(Dont you DARE put a brushless in this bike, for God's sake!!!!)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:09 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
Me, Brushless! never its the top part of the faring just under the screen that is going to be hard to fix because its not there, but I have another old broken one that I may be able to make one good one out of the 2. Yeah I know about the forks, when we used to race them they were more trouble than they were worth as the oil pipe would come off and cover the front tire with oil and I could never find such small dia tube again, but after all these years of running them I think the stock forks work well as they are so light and the bike responds quicker. Now where is that old Hobby wing brushless set up I got laying around
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
Yeah Thanks