HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2003, 06:19 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,559 Posts
Shipping container for big plane

So lets say I was going to sell a larger plane..such as a FuntanaS for example? What would you guys pack it in...a big cardboard box with heavy reinforcements? or build a small Wood crate?

THen ship it what? FedEx?

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:13 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what to encase it with, but I have had a less than pleasing experience shipping and recieving aircraft. The postal service seems to have a habit of crushing boxes. Perhaps they just don't like me!

A wood crate would take a large amount of damage before caving in, but you must make sure that the inside is well protected, as it could take a pounding. I would use as much inner shock-absorbing material as possible-such as those foam bits shaped like an "S". I'd stay away from crumpled newspaper due to the size and weight of the aircraft. If you really wanted to do something elaborate, I would first cover the inside of the box in thick spongy foam and then cover that with thinner, easy to compress foam-then fill it with little foam "S" things.

I don't have much info on what postal service to use.

Good luck!
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:22 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I'd find a local buyer..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:45 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Jul 2002
336 Posts
I had to ship a .60 Corsair. What we did was build a frame from 1x2's and use cloroplast on the outside. More 1x2's were then added to the outside of the frame creating a sandwich effect. The plane was tie strapped in place and screwed to the frame. Threw in some peanuts and shipped it off. It went from BC to California in one piece using a freight company of some sort. It arrived perfectly fine.

Jason
Blazin_Jason is offline Find More Posts by Blazin_Jason
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:33 PM
So Cal.
Joined Jan 2003
250 Posts
those boxes that they crate fruit in seem pretty strong, lightweight wood, im sure you can find some salvageable ones behind a grocery store, or heck if the plane is kinda pricey and fragile why not spend a few bucks and build a custom basswood frame to surround the plane inside a heavy duty reinforced cardboard box? Im sure most buyers would agree to the extra few bucks on the cost of packing if its going to protect their investment. just a thought.
monti is offline Find More Posts by monti
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:22 AM
Monument, CO
Joined Apr 2002
343 Posts
Shipping a large plane.

I've shipped a few. I've found that for packing, find someone that does installations for the window coverings that Home depot sells.Many of the blinds are wrapped in, and then packed in the plastic bubble wrap. It just gets thrown away. also many of the boxes are reinforced on the corners with a heavy cardboard angle. For the box, go to a place that sells wheelchairs, and other havdicapped equipment. They are usually shipped in large boxes. I've been pretty good at scrounging this type of material
FED EX is the shipping service that I've used. I guess that the combination of the sturdy packing and their service, the planes I've sent arrived in grear shape. I did use filament tape, along with the 2" strapping tape.
john
fumblefingers is offline Find More Posts by fumblefingers
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:24 AM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
I received a plane once crated with 1x2 ,and it looked like door panels, the whole thing was glued and screwed together. Cradles were made for support out of foam and garbage type bags placed strategicly and then foamed filled with what looked like the pressurized can stuff from building supply store. The box was about 24"x28"x72" and arrived in the large container that is crossways under a Greyhound bus :-)
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:39 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,602 Posts
My brother bought a plane from someone in texas and he shipped it in a wooden box that looked like a coffin. I think the time and materials that went into the shipping container were worth more than the plane.

I read in one of these forums that the packaging used to ship aftermarket car and truck parts to bodyshops and such are pretty beefy and can sustain a lot of damage before the contents get wrecked. The boxes from bumpers are supposed to fit a fullsize wing nicely. The post claimed they were free for the asking as they just got tossed into a recycle bin. Never tried but it maybe worth investigating.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:22 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Hey Paul;

I shipped a Sig somethin Extra to CA once in a custom built cardboard box. The Fed Ex lady had to look the other way on the dimensions a littel and it took me 3 tries to get them to take it. $25 insured though.

My method for the next one now that I have done more research will be to Crate it with Ply wood, and ship it Greyhound. The 1/4 scale and bigger guys do this all the time. I lookedinto it and it sounds like the way to go. It is guaranteed out on the next bus, and there within drive time from one place to another so its faster than most other shipping. The best part is that the weight of the package is insignificant to the size of the packaging. I think the same plane shipped in a 40 pound crate was $35.00

"Whats the catch:" The reciever and shipper have to drive to the greyhound terminal to ship/pickup.

Bonito is going strong now Paul BTW. I got a 15 minute flight the other day less than 100' off the ground as it would not come down once it hit the small puddle of lift at the end of the runway. What a hoot.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:34 AM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,076 Posts
Try this

I have shipped a couple planes and a friend shipped a couple jets as far as South America. He and I used 5/32 luan plywood yopu can buy at Lowe's. Use some 1x2 for the corners and make a few braces in between. I also used some polyethlene foam glued to the bottom and top to sandwich the plane. They all got there fine. A good shipping box takes a bit of effort.

later,
Mel D.
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval