HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:20 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Discussion
A few builds going on in here.

I have my eye on a few builds in here I think are very interesting. I started thinking... can builds from this site be suggested to the AMA mag for write up.
alot of biulds in here are impressive and not everyone in the AMA will visit forums.
trout
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
I have my eye on a few builds in here I think are very interesting. I started thinking... can builds from this site be suggested to the AMA mag for write up.
alot of biulds in here are impressive and not everyone in the AMA will visit forums.
trout
If you wish to suggest articles to the AMA publications you need to recommend them directly to the editor. I doubt posting a suggestion here will get very far.

http://www.modelaviation.com/editor

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:48 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
Trout if the AMA says yes then point them to any of threads that hammerd or JMorgan do! Talk about two guys that do museum quality work then they fly those master pieces of work.
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:34 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
I will look in to this. I hate to see some of these builds fade away in here down the pages when the builders are here and talk.

I agree about the master pieces in here.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:56 AM
Joined Sep 2001
1,664 Posts
Quote:
I will look in to this. I hate to see some of these builds fade away in here down the pages when the builders are here and talk.

I agree about the master pieces in here.
I fail to see much difference with articles going to the bottom of a stack of magazines... at least here they are searchable... much more convenient than a paper rag IMO. When it comes to real modeling information exchange, AMA's magazine (all magazines..not just AMA's btw)is about as outdated as it gets but MA does give some insight into AMA's inner workings although you do have to read between the lines to get any useful info beyond the hype or self praise.
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old Dec 01, 2011, 09:55 AM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaft View Post
I fail to see much difference with articles going to the bottom of a stack of magazines... at least here they are searchable... much more convenient than a paper rag IMO. When it comes to real modeling information exchange, AMA's magazine (all magazines..not just AMA's btw)is about as outdated as it gets but MA does give some insight into AMA's inner workings although you do have to read between the lines to get any useful info beyond the hype or self praise.
Some 500 or 600 from one of the fields I fly at are mostly 3D pilots and not warbirds or night flying. from this number most of the guys over 50 do not use the internet but to say hi to famly. as 1 big happy famly of RC meny do not see the builds outside the mag or the guys that bring toys with them to the field.
The mix of adding builds that are going on in web site to the mag can change what the group at the field dont see much and maybe get them to join the forum and see whats realy going on.
and mabe more of the guys building planes will join this forum to do builds they are working on at home that only the guys at the field ever see.
If kids and us old guys are going to get more into building this I think may be a good way to try it.
Having builds from all over the state in the mags can be used at fun flys for the new to RC also. I cant think of a better way to get new member to start building planes knowing that have a chance to get them in a mag. but they need to see it first.
having the mag with info/ safety/ tips on builds at the field as new to RC drop in is something to think about.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:27 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
ctrout - I like the whole idea!

Just thought of one thing that might be of "concern" for some in the AMA on this topic of referencing builds being done on the internet. Not all of the fantastic builds are done by people that belong to the AMA. So might be a point of contention that would kill the idea.

But I think your reasons for wanting to get this idea going are really solid and overall good for the hobby.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:57 AM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Thank you for the input Ken. Maybe I need to keep talking about this with some of the builders first and some more view point before I talk to them at the mags.
Thanks again
trout
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:57 PM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
309 Posts
Every magazine I've ever written for wanted exclusive rights to the article, kinda hard if the article is already in the public domain on the 'net.
S3NFO is offline Find More Posts by S3NFO
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:59 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Agreed
When its a number of pages long I can understand. A full build thread would cost to much I think to even do but a build topic going on for months would give the builder some time for a breather. I have- a pic,short chat about the project, "see here more details" each month or two. I am still thinking this out before I do anything.
At the same time I'm still thinking about this as a AMA TV but to ask them to do it without knowing what they have for man power... Its just something to think out for now.
I do like to see the short 7 or 8 minute video clips better then the still pics and typing.
kick it around, gota be a way that can keep numbers in RC growing. AMA
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
trout
I am new to this group but a long time builder in fact 3 on table as we talk but I am looking for Fokker D8 1/6 size to build. Does anyone have info on where to buy one,I rather not go bigger than a 1/6 but might consider up to 6 ft wing span. Thanks guys Charlie
Charlie Bohlen is offline Find More Posts by Charlie Bohlen
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:47 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bohlen View Post
I am new to this group but a long time builder in fact 3 on table as we talk but I am looking for Fokker D8 1/6 size to build. Does anyone have info on where to buy one,I rather not go bigger than a 1/6 but might consider up to 6 ft wing span. Thanks guys Charlie
Give them a day or two to put up a few to look at. meny of the guys that visit here are WWI builders.

I also think there is a list of dealers and supplys in here and the AMA site with kits ect you can look at. I'll do what I can to post them.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:00 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bohlen View Post
Go do a search in the scale section there are a few builds like that just not of the size you are looking for. But have you checked Arizona models?

http://www.arizonamodels.com/product...roducts_id/159
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:09 AM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Hey Ken, can you find that list Franks bin working on the all year. I just looked for it and darn if I cant find it. ?
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:01 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
sorry ctrout I don't know what you are referring to, I havn't seen a list like that posted.