HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:59 AM
Ireland, Meath, Ashbourne
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Help!
Ninja 400 blade rotation direction?

Yeah, I know this looks crazy, but it's what I'm working with at the moment, and the manuals are not exactly perfect.

I have 2 400's sitting on the bench, one of them has been abused some, and needs a new feathering shaft and some other bits, the tail boom isn't good and the bracing shafts are missing, the other looks to be OK mechanically, though they both need setting up, and the tail belts are slack, motor mesh is bad, stuff like that.

They came from different people, and I'm happy that they will make useful steps on the training ladder for a project that's ongoing with a much larger vintage heli that will hopefully fly again next year.

Here's the question, and the reason for it. I can't tell for sure which way the main blades are supposed to be rotating, as one is set up for (from above) anti clockwise, and the other is clockwise. The tail rotors are no help either, so I'm wondering if there are different versions, or if someone prior to me has made a fundamental mistake assembling or rebuilding! I've only got one TX/RX between the 2, and at the moment, the one with the damage has the RX in it, so I can't power it up and see which way the rotor spins, though I'd kind of hope that it's going to go in the direction that the blades are monuted for, but I'm taking nothing for granted as it's been damaged previously. The motor mesh on both needs setting up as well, so I'm reluctant to do too much messing with the rotors until the motor and tail belt are correctly set up again.

So, please, help. I don't want to trust videos on Youtube and the like, as digital pictures can be misleading, can someone who has one of these just let me know which way their main blades and tail rotor rotate. Ideally please, main blades from above, and tail rotor from the blade side, at least that way, I might have a better chance of making them work again without doing any more damage.

Thanks

Steve
Irish Steve is offline Find More Posts by Irish Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:27 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve View Post
Yeah, I know this looks crazy, but it's what I'm working with at the moment, and the manuals are not exactly perfect.

I have 2 400's sitting on the bench, one of them has been abused some, and needs a new feathering shaft and some other bits, the tail boom isn't good and the bracing shafts are missing, the other looks to be OK mechanically, though they both need setting up, and the tail belts are slack, motor mesh is bad, stuff like that.

They came from different people, and I'm happy that they will make useful steps on the training ladder for a project that's ongoing with a much larger vintage heli that will hopefully fly again next year.

Here's the question, and the reason for it. I can't tell for sure which way the main blades are supposed to be rotating, as one is set up for (from above) anti clockwise, and the other is clockwise. The tail rotors are no help either, so I'm wondering if there are different versions, or if someone prior to me has made a fundamental mistake assembling or rebuilding! I've only got one TX/RX between the 2, and at the moment, the one with the damage has the RX in it, so I can't power it up and see which way the rotor spins, though I'd kind of hope that it's going to go in the direction that the blades are monuted for, but I'm taking nothing for granted as it's been damaged previously. The motor mesh on both needs setting up as well, so I'm reluctant to do too much messing with the rotors until the motor and tail belt are correctly set up again.

So, please, help. I don't want to trust videos on Youtube and the like, as digital pictures can be misleading, can someone who has one of these just let me know which way their main blades and tail rotor rotate. Ideally please, main blades from above, and tail rotor from the blade side, at least that way, I might have a better chance of making them work again without doing any more damage.

Thanks

Steve
Standing over the helicopter or looking downward, the main blades rotate clockwise. Tail rotor should rotate as shown in the picture attached. Also see the attached photos for the head. One picture, while not the Ninja head, also shows the correct rotation direction

Hope this helps

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
That answers that one and some!

Max,

that's perfect, and gives me exactly what I needed, and it confirms that the one that is most badly damaged of the 2 I have here the blades are on the head the wrong way round.

Not sure if the previous owner tried flying it like that, if they did, it would explain why it had the mishap that it did.

The other one of the 2, which is in much better condition but has no TX/RX or battery is correct, and the main issue I can see with that one is the tail belt is also loose, but the setup angles look much better.

Now I know for sure the correct direction etc, the plan is to take the damaged one apart to the degree needed to correct the problems, and then do some experimenting with the blades off and see what does or does not work. Hopefully, I can then set up a Turnigy 9X for the other machine to replicate the operation of the servos etc rather than move the radio gear over. I will also have to make sure that everything that should have been threadlocked has indeed been threadlocked, as there are some loose joints on one of them.

Thanks for the help, I suspect that a spares order will be heading your way before too long, there will be a number of things that have to be replaced, and it will be advisable to have a few spares of the easily bent or broken items, and you seem to have most of them on the web site.

Cheers

Steve
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:00 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve View Post
Max,

that's perfect, and gives me exactly what I needed, and it confirms that the one that is most badly damaged of the 2 I have here the blades are on the head the wrong way round.

Not sure if the previous owner tried flying it like that, if they did, it would explain why it had the mishap that it did.

The other one of the 2, which is in much better condition but has no TX/RX or battery is correct, and the main issue I can see with that one is the tail belt is also loose, but the setup angles look much better.

Now I know for sure the correct direction etc, the plan is to take the damaged one apart to the degree needed to correct the problems, and then do some experimenting with the blades off and see what does or does not work. Hopefully, I can then set up a Turnigy 9X for the other machine to replicate the operation of the servos etc rather than move the radio gear over. I will also have to make sure that everything that should have been threadlocked has indeed been threadlocked, as there are some loose joints on one of them.

Thanks for the help, I suspect that a spares order will be heading your way before too long, there will be a number of things that have to be replaced, and it will be advisable to have a few spares of the easily bent or broken items, and you seem to have most of them on the web site.

Cheers

Steve
Great news that pix helped. We can ship almost all parts except the tail boom and the blades in a US Postal Small Flat Rate Box for about: $14 but any thing longer or larger would be about $28

Hope that helps

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2011, 04:31 PM
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Great news that pix helped. We can ship almost all parts except the tail boom and the blades in a US Postal Small Flat Rate Box for about: $14 but any thing longer or larger would be about $28

Hope that helps

Max
Too right it does, I am hoping to strip the more badly damaged of the 2 this weekend, and once I know what's beyond sensible, I can then sort out the bits I need to repair it, and give me the spares for both.

Cheers

Steve