HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theVman View Post
Ok, I know this isn't pertinent to the latest servo issues, but I'm hoping this comes in useful for somebody.

I'm a TOTAL heli newb. Been reading this thread for a few weeks then decided to get a V911 from Banggood (shipped Dec. 28, received Jan. 12, and I live in California...) Anyway, I really like this helicopter because like a total newb, I thrashed it pretty well while learning to fly it - still nothing broken. A plastic bit fell off the battery as I was plugging it in, but nothing that was critical to flight performance.

The last few flights I have noticed that there is a pronounced wobble, or shudder when hovering, or if I'm giving it just slight rudder input. Reading about cpuken's issues with the loosening swashplate got me to inspecting mine. The swashplate was not clearly separating, but did seem kind of loose. So I've ordered a metal swashplate set from that site where you can shop victoriously, but in the meanwhile, I thought I'd try keeping the swashplate seated with a pen spring. After trying many times to cut a section of spring that wouldn't bind somewhere as the main shaft turned, I then decided to try something else.

I took a small section of silicon fuel tubing - basically a ring about 2mm wide - and put it on the main shaft above the swashplate. The small inner diameter of the fuel tubing keeps a pretty good grip on the main shaft. Consequently, the ring provided a surprising amount of pressure on the swashplate. Inititially, I had the silicon ring pressed as far down as the swashplate would allow, but then discovered that it caused tension throughout the entire head assembly, and the flybar would not move freely. And thanks to this forum, I now know that a flybar that does not move freely is bad news. So I pushed up the silicon ring so that it only lightly made contact with the swash plate. The flybar now moves freely, and better yet, the shudder/wobble is no more.

I have attached pictures to show the installation. Questions and comments are welcome.
Nice mod/fix... I'll add this to my list of things to keep in mind. I have a metal swash on order and was hoping to use it but it appears the weight of it may reduce the speed/agility of this bird. I also have a stock replacement swash on order as well as a Trex100 swash and a Solo Pro swash. My frustration with the swash has resulting in all these orders and options... I'll add your mod to the list because I might end up using it if I resort to the stock swash. Of course I have a 2nd V911 on order also, so this is just another option. Good job figuring out a low cost option for swash separation.

some of my early flights also had the dreaded shuddering... from your results it appears it was my swash separating that caused that too.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post

The Xtreme carbon flybar and weights is still the best thing ive done to this heli. Its crazy the handling and stability improvement it gave, not to mention no more flybar strikes with hard outdoor flying.
The small weights make it REALLY agile, I switch between those and the medium weights.
RawmadeCF, it appears your recommendations for the Xtreme carbon flybar has resulted in everyone selling out... out of stock.
See how much weight you carry in this community.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
Take flight
Joined Aug 2004
2,184 Posts
Hey guys I'm thinking of putting a "known issues and solutions" section (like that of the 9958 and SP threads) on page one of the review as people seem to have the same problems and this heli seems to have problems unique to its own... (and going through the almost 100 pages of thread might be a pain)

BUT I can't do it alone! So if you would like to PM me these things I would love to gather and sort them.
Please write it in the following format so it doesn't get too messy
================================================== ================

Issue:
Solution(s):if any
Alternate Solution(s):if any
Contributed by: your username

I thought of the following chunks that you could write about:
-Binding issues with the stock TX
-Binding issues and compatibility with alternate TXs (TRex, Turnigy)

-Charging issues (stock/aftermarket)
-Battery compatibility
-Parts compatibility (with Trex 100/ 9958/ Solo pro etc.)
-Flight issues (Trim, vibrations, TBE etc.)

-Upgrades

And anything else you can think of! Lets make this a thread that other threads envy :P
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Hey guys I'm thinking of putting a "known issues and solutions" section (like that of the 9958 and SP threads) on page one of the review as people seem to have the same problems and this heli seems to have problems unique to its own... (and going through the almost 100 pages of thread might be a pain)

BUT I can't do it alone! So if you would like to PM me these things I would love to gather and sort them.
Please write it in the following format so it doesn't get too messy

Issue:
Solution(s):if any
Alternate Solution(s):if any
Contributed by: your username

I thought of the following chunks that you could write about:
-Binding issues with the stock TX
-Binding issues and compatibility with alternate TXs (TRex, Turnigy)

-Charging issues (stock/aftermarket)
-Battery compatibility
-Parts compatibility (with Trex 100/ 9958/ Solo pro etc.)
-Flight issues (Trim, vibrations, TBE etc.)

-Upgrades

And anything else you can think of! Lets make this a thread that other threads envy :P
I like the idea and yes, we need to make it so complete, so organized that yes, the others envy it.
I'd like to see it also contain links to photos or videos that help explain these sometimes complex explanations. We can debate if the solution page should contain the photos/videos or just links to the photos/videos. I'm thinking just links so that it keeps everything clean and uniform.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, KY, Owensboro
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfrisbee View Post
Woohoo!!! Since KY is much closer to NY than CA, I would assume you would be getting yours this week too.

I should get mine today. USPS comes to my office late morning and I have already scheduled the afternoon for getting to know my new heli.
Well it looks like I may have to wait a couple of more days for mine. The updated tracking showed mine was "miss sent" to Charlestown, IN.
SlyKYFox is offline Find More Posts by SlyKYFox
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Nah, you lose cyclic throw since the hub balls aren't as long as the v911. Wait till the Solo Pro 270a parts become available. The upper swashhub has the ball and they look about as long as the stock v911.
Thanks for the info........I know alot of the Solo Pro mods apply to the V911, it's just hard going back and forth between threads. I guess at some time it would be nice to document in this thread what doesn't apply to the V911 when it comes to Solo Pro mods.

James, just saw your post..........thanks for taking this on. Mine just arrived, can't wait to get home:

Arrival at Unit

Your item arrived at 9:21 am on January 17, 2012 in MELBOURNE, FL 32904. I ordered on the 1st
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, PA, Latrobe
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Well finally got my v911 today. On its maiden flight i noticed it has a very strong roll to the left as soon as the throttle gets high enough to start lift off. I have it trimmed the whole way to the right but still a hard roll on take off. any Suggestions im stumped

Thanks
fball1208 is offline Find More Posts by fball1208
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fball1208 View Post
Well finally got my v911 today. On its maiden flight i noticed it has a very strong roll to the left as soon as the throttle gets high enough to start lift off. I have it trimmed the whole way to the right but still a hard roll on take off. any Suggestions im stumped

Thanks
All of single rotors do this, it's normal.

Add a small amount of right cyclic when taking off to counteract it.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, PA, Latrobe
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Thanks Ill have to try this after the batteries recharge
fball1208 is offline Find More Posts by fball1208
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fball1208 View Post

Thanks
Lift it off quickly (but don't go through the ceiling, LOL) ... once in the air it should hover fine. Mine does with zero trim settings.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Ordered my V911 from MyRCMart last Monday and it arrived today! I did spring for the express shipping. It arrived in excellent condition along with all of the spares I ordered. It also contained the paper saying it was test flown etc. I will post my first impressions later
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,556 Posts
Seems like a few of you guys are getting yours soon. Mine has been stuck in custom, about 100mi away since the 11th. It only took a day from HK to LA. But stayed stuck there since then.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Seems like a few of you guys are getting yours soon. Mine has been stuck in custom, about 100mi away since the 11th. It only took a day from HK to LA. But stayed stuck there since then.
I think you will get it soon with a dead battery and chipped blades

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,556 Posts
LOL. That's what I would be doing if I were custom officers. Gotta thoroughly check what's coming across the boarder ya know.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,854 Posts
And you'll finally get a QC sticker... from the US Custom Officer! LOL
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad