HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I like the yellow/white clones better, more precise control and beefier skids are the main advantages.
+1

The yellow y911 clone is a great flyer. Just a bit sensitive on the rudder at 100% rate.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
I would go with the new version. I'm sure batteries will start popping up soon, and in the meantime the stock batteries are dirt cheap.
Read somewhere the new plug is easily loose during a crash landing. Is it true ?

Quote:
I like the yellow/white clones better, more precise control and beefier skids are the main advantages.
Appreciate your input. Been reading some comments from you about this clone. Are all original parts interchangeable with this clone ? And no problem with stock tx binding ?
redtags is offline Find More Posts by redtags
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtags View Post
thanks helipad, noted .. so i dont have to time my fly. Just as soon as I see any signs of difficulty to maintain altitude, I'll just put it to rest right away and charge the batt in roughly 10 mins later.

Several things I need to ask the experts here, does the yellow / white clone v911 from banggood best avoided ? Seems the opinions vary here. Do I need to bind everytime I turn on the stock rx with the clones ? all parts compatible with original version ?

Or is it better to buy the original v911 w/ new plug. I'm aiming toward higher capacity batt that is not available w/ new plug yet.
I do not own the Yellow/White clone, but my buddy does. From what I heard, I would not avoid them. In fact, I would prefer them if I'm in the market for another BNF. Rebinding each time is a quick procedure that you'd probably get used to and do it subconsciously. The better skids, swash, and more standard battery plug are all pluses IMHO.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:53 PM
Always borking my corter
Joined Feb 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Read somewhere the new plug is easily loose during a crash landing. Is it true ?
This was true with the second version but not with the newest v3. The batteries are much more secure now, almost too secure.
bflan2001 is offline Find More Posts by bflan2001
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
In theory, the 200mAh will work with mod. But you'd ask yourself why going that route. There's nothing preventing you from doing it, if you just want to prove the concept.

Most people would say a bigger capacity battery gives longer flight. Well, yes. But the helicopter is also heavier. The work load on the motor is heavier. To fly that much longer means you may overheat the motor and burn it out quicker. And so, after installing a bigger and heavier battery, you'd need to restrict yourself from flying long, then where is the point?

If I were you, I'd stick with the stock battery, or at least like size battery, but get a couple more of them. It is easy enough to charge them in advanced. Fly one, rest a little, reload, fly again. That saves you modding the battery holder - unless the point is just to see if you could make it work.
+1 on that Heli Pad. Got 8x 150mah old and 7x 120mah new at the moment. More old on the way, but I'll wait for the 150mah upgrade before I order more new-style
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
I remember this question came up long ago, like in the first 100 pages of this thread; various people have tried different NE batteries and I recall consensus was none of them is a perfect fit. If waiting is not an issue (but always is), the 150 mAh stock batts are a bargain at 5 for $10.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-...y-p-46387.html
+1 stonecutter... and patience is a virtue
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:15 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
thanks helipad, noted .. so i dont have to time my fly. Just as soon as I see any signs of difficulty to maintain altitude, I'll just put it to rest right away and charge the batt in roughly 10 mins later.

Several things I need to ask the experts here, does the yellow / white clone v911 from banggood best avoided ? Seems the opinions vary here. Do I need to bind everytime I turn on the stock rx with the clones ? all parts compatible with original version ?

Or is it better to buy the original v911 w/ new plug. I'm aiming toward higher capacity batt that is not available w/ new plug yet.
I'm no expert redtags, but I love the way my yellow & white clones handle indoors. Just need to wait for the weather to improve so I can take them out...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
All I've broken so far after a whole bunch of hard crashes is a flybar, skids, one blade where it screws on at the rotor head and - of course - the infamous canopy holding rod broke off flush to the main frame.
... and a tail fin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:09 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,442 Posts
Speaking of which, I just had a closer look. Looks like the easiest way to replace the tail fin is to slip the tail motor mount over the end of the boom. Not sure if there's enough slack on the cables for the motor though and don't just want to risk ripping it off.

What's your experience guys?

Cheers
Tigg
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,092 Posts
Quote:

Appreciate your input. Been reading some comments from you about this clone. Are all original parts interchangeable with this clone ? And no problem with stock tx binding ?
As far as I can tell based on a visual ispection, all parts are interchangeable, but I haven't had the need to so I can't confirm. Binding/rebinding is not an issue for stock tx.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Speaking of which, I just had a closer look. Looks like the easiest way to replace the tail fin is to slip the tail motor mount over the end of the boom. Not sure if there's enough slack on the cables for the motor though and don't just want to risk ripping it off.

What's your experience guys?

Cheers
Tigg
You must be talking about the wl toys version of the tail fin. The clones have clip on fins that come off and on easily, in fact too easily so I fly w/o fins.

BTW, re your question on the video, the heli was lying on its side on several occasions, the best one is at around the 5:41 mark. (I think a blade strike could be heard there too.)
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
221 Posts
Found this on eBay. Looks like Y911 skids, but the old style two contact battery connector. Interesting.

I finally broke the landing gear (first time!) and I'm just going to fix it with thread and ca glue. I also broke the blade at the screw for the second time in a really hardcore crash into the wall. I've now had several lipos that seem to have quit on me (one 150mah and 2 120s). I haven't yet tried to recharge them since finding they have failed (perhaps I just forgot to charge them). Is there a way to use a multitester to check voltage? I'm not very electrically inclined, but I own a multimeter! Lol
elkabong80 is online now Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
You must be talking about the wl toys version of the tail fin. The clones have clip on fins that come off and on easily, in fact too easily so I fly w/o fins.

BTW, re your question on the video, the heli was lying on its side on several occasions, the best one is at around the 5:41 mark. (I think a blade strike could be heard there too.)
Yup, it's my blue/white new plug. Know what you mean. Often after a crash with my white or yellow the fin sits at 90 and has to be turned before I can fly again.
Reason I don't want to leave the fin out is possible over exposure of the tail motor to crash damage. had any problems in that respect stonecutter?

Cheers
Tigg

... correction, tail rotor
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong80 View Post
Found this on eBay. Looks like Y911 skids, but the old style two contact battery connector. Interesting.

I finally broke the landing gear (first time!) and I'm just going to fix it with thread and ca glue. I also broke the blade at the screw for the second time in a really hardcore crash into the wall. I've now had several lipos that seem to have quit on me (one 150mah and 2 120s). I haven't yet tried to recharge them since finding they have failed (perhaps I just forgot to charge them). Is there a way to use a multitester to check voltage? I'm not very electrically inclined, but I own a multimeter! Lol
Turn the multimeter switch to dc voltage, red cable to + black cable to -, read display ... and believe me, I'm an "electrophobic". If I can do it, anyone can

SIX BUCKS A HIT!!!?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiggertoo1962; Dec 10, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
221 Posts
Lol I will have to check them before and during and after charging. I've got 9 batteries total and, honestly, not too many flights on any of them. Not enough to kill them, for sure. But maybe storing them fully charged was not the thing to do. Sheesh. So much to know! Lol
elkabong80 is online now Find More Posts by elkabong80