HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
6 Posts
Just got my v911 today!

Moving from my 3ch s107 -- WOW! It's so different! It's great to try and master flying again! haha.

One thing i don't like is the way you have to put the batteries in - they fit tight, and there is no real place to grip the helicopter.

I like the way i could charge the s107 - without having to remove the battery.


Just charing both batteries now - looking forward to next go in 30mins
itsallgood is offline Find More Posts by itsallgood
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
nagromnewo's Avatar
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Has anyone ever checked the maximum range of the V911's TX/RX combo or with a 9x?
I was flying one of my V911s outside the other day and was having glitches at around 80 - 100 feet with the stock transmitter. When the helicopter looses contact with the transmitter, it will cut the motor and that is what happened to me. The helicopter was getting erratic from the motor cutting for a fraction of a second which caused the tail to flick around and one time the motor stopped long enough for it to drop 5-6 feet before it powered up again.

I managed to bring the bird back and land safely. As soon as I understood that I was having radio range problems, I turned my TX sideways to where the helicopter was and I had no more glitches as I was bringing her back. With any RF technology like RC transmitters or communications radio, you will get more range if the antenna is sideways to the receiver rather than pointing straight at it. It turned out the receiver antenna wire had fallen off.

With that kind of range with no receive antenna, your normal range will be determined by how far away you can see the helicopter without loosing orientation rather than the range of the TX/RX combination. The best thing to do if you loose orientation and the helicopter is flying away is to turn off the throttle and let it fall and then walk to collect it. If you can see it falling, you can throttle up again just above the ground to cushion the fall, but make sure it hits the ground with the throttle off so it doesn't beat itself up.

One of mine got away when my brother in law was flying it. By the time I got my hands on the TX, it was above the roof of a three story building and too far away for me to figure out which way it was pointing. I dumped the throttle and found the helicopter undamaged on the grass behind the building.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
The "class 3 to 4" winds are claimed by the Chinese, so I search for the definitions in the correct context.

http://www.kepu.net.cn/gb/earth/weat.../wnd008_2.html

Translation of the key points below:

Class 3: Average wind speed of 4 meters per second (14.4km/h, 8.9mph). Characteristics include leaves, branches, flags, tall grass moving in the winds.

Class 4: Average wind speed of 7 meters per second (25.2km/h, 15.7mph). Characteristics include able to blow dust and papers off the ground, causes tree branches and tall grass to move, and causes water waves.

Oooh.
thanks
wow still alot of wind but I'll look thing up in chinese next time
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
nagromnewo's Avatar
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
Just got my v911 today!

Moving from my 3ch s107 -- WOW! It's so different! It's great to try and master flying again! haha.
Welcome to a REAL helicopter!
My S107 is parked in the hangar. Hasn't been flown since my first V911 was down waiting for parts. I solved that problem by buying two more BNF V911s so I will have at least one that is airworthy at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
One thing i don't like is the way you have to put the batteries in - they fit tight, and there is no real place to grip the helicopter.
It gets easier with time. I normally grip each side of the battery contact. Set the helicopter down immediately on a flat surface to allow the gyro to initialize with the correct orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
I like the way i could charge the s107 - without having to remove the battery.
I have 7 V911 batteries. My brain is fried long before I run out of fully charged batteries.

Look for the 150mA batteries if you're ordering more.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:20 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
nagromnewo's Avatar
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
Just got my v911 today!

Moving from my 3ch s107 -- WOW! It's so different! It's great to try and master flying again! haha.
Welcome to a REAL helicopter!
My S107 is parked in the hangar. Hasn't been flown since my first V911 was down waiting for parts. I solved that problem by buying two more BNF V911s so I will have at least one that is airworthy at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
One thing i don't like is the way you have to put the batteries in - they fit tight, and there is no real place to grip the helicopter.
It gets easier with time. I normally grip each side of the battery contact. Set the helicopter down immediately on a flat surface to allow the gyro to initialize with the correct orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
I like the way i could charge the s107 - without having to remove the battery.
I have 7 V911 batteries. My brain is fried long before I run out of fully charged batteries.

Look for the 150mA batteries if you're ordering more batteries.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkipness View Post
Rather than bother with mod'ing the TX I would buy a Double Horse 9116 TX for $7 + $4 shipping from hobbypartz.com. I won't ever touch my V911 TX again after using the 9116. It takes a short set up of reversing rudder and elevator, and then you can program in rates for everything. It really makes the V/Y911 fly much better and in my case with the Y911 it flies faster forward now at the 100% rate on the controller. It binds exactly like the stock TX. Put the battery in the heli, turn on the TX and wait for a few beeps.
mkipness, Does the 9116 TX remember the inverted controls, or do you have to reprogram it from flight to flight? Some others asked this on another 9116 thread but I didnt see that they got an answer.
LumpyLouis is offline Find More Posts by LumpyLouis
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post
It gets easier with time. I normally grip each side of the battery contact. Set the helicopter down immediately on a flat surface to allow the gyro to initialize with the correct orientation.

Thanks for the welcome nagromnewo

You're right about the battries! It seems easier already -- the v911 just seemed so much more breakable than the all-metal s107 - but after just having it's first little crash - i see the v911 is surprisingly strong.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread (I'm going to read through now - while my batteries charge again!) But...

My helicopter lost the ability go forwards/backwards while flying - and i had to land it - then it got the controls back.

It did it three times during the two batteries.

edit:

Found out that the servo that does forwards/backwards wasnt working Had to loosen the screw a bit - and that seems to have fixed it.


Now - i don't know if i've crashed it too much - as it just keeps spinning around tail first in big circles - full on trims - and nothing stops it - except holding the left stick all the way left.

I'm such a helicopter newbie! lol. It really makes me see my 107 was a toy. Compared to already having to read a 942 post forum thread to see if my helicopter needs balancing or something.
itsallgood is offline Find More Posts by itsallgood
Last edited by itsallgood; Nov 15, 2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Found out problem
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyLouis View Post
mkipness, Does the 9116 TX remember the inverted controls, or do you have to reprogram it from flight to flight? Some others asked this on another 9116 thread but I didnt see that they got an answer.
Yes, it remembers.
It's a TX with a one model memory :-)
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
...
Now - i don't know if i've crashed it too much - as it just keeps spinning around tail first in big circles - full on trims - and nothing stops it - except holding the left stick all the way left.
If it spins left (counter clock wise), that means "not enough tail rotor".
Usually that means a problem with the tail rotor. The motor could be bad, or binding on lint, rotor pushed too far on shaft, slipping on the shaft etc.

Your's sounds like it's spinning to the right (clock wise). That means "too much tail rotor".
Which could be the main rotor "slipping" - either the main gear on the shaft, or the rotor head on the shaft. Grab the main gear and the blades and see if there is slip.
Could also be that your main motor is gone.

But it could also be that you broke the gyro.
I don't think anyone has managed to fix a broken gyro...

To see if it's the gyro, hold the heli in your hand with the blades spun up.

Rotate it left and the tail rotor should spoeed up.
Rotate it right and it should slow down (maybe even stop).
If it does that, the problem is with the main motor/rotor.
If it doesn't, it probably means it's the gyro.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
nagromnewo's Avatar
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
Now - i don't know if i've crashed it too much - as it just keeps spinning around tail first in big circles - full on trims - and nothing stops it - except holding the left stick all the way left.
Hmmm if it spins anti-clockwise seen from above that probably means the gyro is borken. I have managed to do that twice, but both were after putting many hours on the helicopter. Bad luck!

If it was spinning clockwise, that would mean the tail rotor was not spinning properly. Could be the rotor is pushed too far in on the motor, there is fluff around the shaft or the motor is borken.

Borken tail motors can be replaced, but it's usually easier to replace the whole tail boom as it's almost impossible to get the wires through the boom.

I've never heard of anyone fixing a borken gyro other than replacing the whole receiver board. The receiver will cost you $ 12 - 15 and you can get a complete helicopter without the transmitter (BNF) for $ 20-25, so you might consider getting one or two BNFs and keeping this helicopter for spares. Use the receiver with the borken gyro to build a little airplane.

Still a lot cheaper than crashing a larger $300 helicopter...

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:44 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
Thanks for the welcome nagromnewo

You're right about the battries! It seems easier already -- the v911 just seemed so much more breakable than the all-metal s107 - but after just having it's first little crash - i see the v911 is surprisingly strong.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread (I'm going to read through now - while my batteries charge again!) But...

My helicopter lost the ability go forwards/backwards while flying - and i had to land it - then it got the controls back.

It did it three times during the two batteries.

edit:

Found out that the servo that does forwards/backwards wasnt working Had to loosen the screw a bit - and that seems to have fixed it.

Now - i don't know if i've crashed it too much - as it just keeps spinning around tail first in big circles - full on trims - and nothing stops it - except holding the left stick all the way left.

I'm such a helicopter newbie! lol. It really makes me see my 107 was a toy. Compared to already having to read a 942 post forum thread to see if my helicopter needs balancing or something.
Some versions of the rx are known to have sluggish servos, especially with the motor running, seems to be a power distribution issue. I had one v911 with that symptom, eventually trashed it as it was no fun to fly. See here..
wl toys v911 demonstration of servo hesitation (0 min 55 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
6 Posts
Oh dear - i see

I'm going to try that in the morning - just hold it and see if mine does the same. (I cant check now as family are in bed)

I'm a bit gutted really. In the UK - there was only one place to get the helicopter - and it was 40 - which is about $63.

If this is a fault -- do you think it's grounds for a return?

Fingers crossed mine was just a one-off problem! Flying and suddenly you can't steer is just an accident waiting to happen!


Is there a way to check if the version i have is the one with the problem? Like a number on the circuit board or something?

Cheers for all the help guys!!

And thanks for video stonecutter
itsallgood is offline Find More Posts by itsallgood
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
Rusty
Rusty Nail's Avatar
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
LittleMo, there is no range reduction mode on the 9X. With standard FlySky receivers range is out of sight so not easily determined before each flight.
In a built up environment I have tested the 911 and 9116 transmitters ground range with FlySky 3/6ch receivers at about 120m. I would be interested to hear of flight range with those who have used this combination for planes.
Before using these transmitters for long range applications you must dismantle the aerial housing and check that the aerial end is not bent double on insertion.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,261 Posts
I would go with RicksterRC said about testing the gyro.Also if the hole for the flybar on the head is loose, you will not be able tighten the flybar properly.
Jasen40 is offline Find More Posts by Jasen40
Last edited by Jasen40; Nov 15, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
Oh dear - i see

I'm going to try that in the morning - just hold it and see if mine does the same. (I cant check now as family are in bed)

I'm a bit gutted really. In the UK - there was only one place to get the helicopter - and it was 40 - which is about $63.

If this is a fault -- do you think it's grounds for a return?

Fingers crossed mine was just a one-off problem! Flying and suddenly you can't steer is just an accident waiting to happen!


Is there a way to check if the version i have is the one with the problem? Like a number on the circuit board or something?

Cheers for all the help guys!!

And thanks for video stonecutter
The board that had the servo hesitation was rev 6, dated 2012.06.15. KKDDMM posted the picture here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=7
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Jiuchon 9C002, a Solo Pro clone? SoloProFan Micro Helis 103 Feb 29, 2012 02:24 PM
Discussion Interesting Solo Pro? Clone gordonzo Micro Helis 46 Nov 30, 2011 03:15 AM
Question Which 100 sized heli after Solo Pro? Tuc Micro Helis 16 Jun 13, 2011 01:52 PM
Sold $100 !NEW ARF Storm 250 (Trex Clone) With Align Upgrades, Tons of Extras! $100!! RChelisrule Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 May 31, 2011 12:26 AM