HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,790 Posts
Nevermind.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Last edited by FyreSG; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
windy flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
honestly, I wont believe anybodies statement on in how much wind their helis fly unless they have it on video, showing on an anemometer. Otherwise all these claims about in which winds people fly their helis, are nothing but claims they cannot proof.

As long as nobody here puts their money where their mouth is and FILMS the ACTUAL windspeed measured by a quality instrument, RIGHT WHERE they fly that very moment ... all windspeed claims are NOTHING but empty words ...
say do i detect a bit of jelousy ? sounds like the guy who wants proof should learn to fly and get the proof himself instead of sorry to hear he has lost touch with simple trust of another human being trying to be helpful giving insight to those looking . bottom line if your reading you must not know everything therefor if your not willing to take advise or trust in fellow flyers not sure what your doing here . ohh you cant fly in wind thats right so no one else can ethier very mature. by the way i loved to see the heli fly in those winds far better than some more expensive versions like msr a couple years ago great stuff keep posting and thank you
tommy2toes is offline Find More Posts by tommy2toes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazr33 View Post
I actually used sewing machine oil to lube the joints and there's no play in the blades. Mines the glued on landing gear. I've ordered an alloy upgrade kit that has a better swash a new balance bar and a main cog. Hopefully these will help. I'll see what I can find in the way of o-rings also. Its wobbling is kind of cyclic, as in the blades almost stay still but the body does small circular motion wobbles every now and then
souds like possible uneven or a under weighted blade take off the blades and weigh seperatly to see
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestart View Post
Checked the flybar, perfect balance.

Replacing the blades with the spares was my last move, that didn't work either.
I'm in the process of changing the tail motor now.
At wits end, almost at the stage of throwing it in the garbage or maybe keep it for spares.
The earlier version is flying OK, little erratic but flyable.
bent shaft
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
418 Posts
While my windspeed claims are based on actual measurements taken about half a mile from my flying field, Erdnuckel2 is right that it's not an accurate indication of conditions at the field. The winds can vary a good bit from the weather station to the flying field.

I will say this: When the wind is too strong to fly my FlyZone and ParkZone micro planes, I break out the heavier and faster Nine Eagles micro planes. When the Nine Eagles planes are grounded, I'm still having fun with the V911s.

I have the windows wide open right now (welcome to warm, sunny South Carolina), and I can hear the wind in the trees. I'm waiting for a package in the mail, but I'll be up there with my V911s as soon as my package is delivered.

Yes the V911 can handle wind. ...we just don't know how much wind.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:25 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumilove View Post
I haven't, but the consensus seems to be it's too heavy. It's just bling that doesn't do anything positive for the performance of the helicopter. As far as I remember, you would also have to use Nine Eagles blades.

I've got the plastic fisheye swash plate and carbon fiber main shaft. The fisheye swash makes the helicopter more accurate, the carbon fiber main shaft makes it lighter. My only other mods to the helicopter are replacing the canopy with an Esky Nano Hughes 300 canopy (makes it lighter and prettier) and removing the tail skid (to compensate for the lighter canopy moving the CG).

I also did the resistor mod to the rudder and aileron sticks on my TX to tame that wild tail and make the aileron cyclic more accurate. Most people only do the rudder stick, but I found that adding some EXP to the aileron made a lot of difference when trying to land in small spaces.

The rest is just tuning and setup.

Does anyone have any other hardware mods that are actually worthwhile?

PS. I just picked up some Readiboard foam board from Dollar Tree. I have two V911 receivers with dead gyros, so I'm planning to build a couple of airplanes.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:29 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Yes the V911 can handle wind. ...we just don't know how much wind.

Rick
Our neighbors upstairs have a wind chime on their balcony. If the wind chime is silent I'll have no problems. If it's clanging occasionally, I'l have fun. If it's clanging continuously, I can still fly, but I'm probably going to break something, so I fly indoors instead.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post
PS. I just picked up some Readiboard foam board from Dollar Tree. I have two V911 receivers with dead gyros, so I'm planning to build a couple of airplanes.
Be sure to show us what you build! I'll be building one (or more) myself.

Rick
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post
Our neighbors upstairs have a wind chime on their balcony. If the wind chime is silent I'll have no problems. If it's clanging occasionally, I'l have fun. If it's clanging continuously, I can still fly, but I'm probably going to break something, so I fly indoors instead.

Owen
I have wind chimes on my back deck as an indicator for flying my micro planes.

If the chimes are singin', don't bother wingin'.

Rick
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
418 Posts
FET Compatibility between V911 & Bravo SX

I posted this in the Bravo SX thread, but I got no response. Hopefully, somebody here knows more about FETs than I do.

After some time flying the V911s, I just got a Nine Eagles Bravo SX. I love it, but I did something really stupid. During my first flight out in the driveway, my dog got out of the back yard. Instead of putting the heli away before going after the dog, I tucked it carefully under my arm so I could operate the joystick on my electric wheelchair. I held the transmitter in my lap. Unfortunately, I gave it full throttle. Before I realized what I had done, the damage was done. I seem to have fried the FET for the main motor. I know I can always buy a new board, but I'm hoping I can save this one. ...and a few bucks. I can solder, but I don't know one FET from another. (although I would probably recognize Boba Fet if he was soldered to the board.) I have a dead V911 heli. Does anybody know if the Bravo SX FET and the V911 FET are interchangeable? (If I can desolder a FET from the V911 and solder it onto the Bravo board without damaging anything.)

Thanks a bunch!

Rick

Many thanks to RicksterRC for helping me fix my heli.
Last edited by Ricomon; Nov 13, 2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Got an answer. fixed the heli.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcker2000 View Post
how is the orange one stability wise?
The original V911's were Orange/Black "CoRters".

Soon, the V911 included Orange/Black, Red/White and Blue/White.

The so called Y911 originally came in Yellow, and then "blank White".

I've also seen Y911 canopies in Red/White and Black/Silver (or something else).

Sooo. In answer to your question, from someone with several V911s and a Yellow Y911.

The V911's all have a slightly different personality.

The Y911 is a bit more stable. When you let go of the right stick, it stops on it's own (rather than needing back stick to arrest the forward motion).
This is nice for a beginner.
The Y911 is said to be more "precise" due to the "fisheye" swashplate (has a center brass ball that helps reduce motion on the shaft).

I retrofitted my entire fleet with fisheyes.

Like I said, they all have a slightly different personality.

For a straight beginner, the Yellow Y911 might be slightly easier to fly.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Managed to get out today too for a change, only my 2nd time flying outside my living room so I obviously need to get some light wind practice in There wasn't an awful lot of wind, but what breeze there was sure made it a lot different from flying indoors... and the SPACE!!!!!!!

Well something I did notice pretty quickly was that the heli sometimes struggled a bit coming from a hover straight into the wind, but if I got up even a small head of steam with a tail wind and did a long banking turn she would come rocketing past me at a fair rate of knots into the wind.

At the moment it's a jamara e-rix that I'm flying - exactly the same heli as the V911 and the reason why I now have three V911s on the way from China - but I reckon with a bit of practice I'll be able to handle her pretty well in a light breeze. Managing to get outside now that I actually have a degree of control over the heli (as opposed to the 1st time, when I'd only flown a total of about 20 minutes before deciding I needed more space ) has really given me a bigger taste now. My plan was to practise on the V911s over the winter and get myself a F45 in the spring, but I can see me pulling the order forward just in case we have some nice, calm, winter days

Happy flying
Tigg
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
The original V911's were Orange/Black "CoRters".

Soon, the V911 included Orange/Black, Red/White and Blue/White.

The so called Y911 originally came in Yellow, and then "blank White".

I've also seen Y911 canopies in Red/White and Black/Silver (or something else).

Sooo. In answer to your question, from someone with several V911s and a Yellow Y911.

The V911's all have a slightly different personality.

The Y911 is a bit more stable. When you let go of the right stick, it stops on it's own (rather than needing back stick to arrest the forward motion).
This is nice for a beginner.
The Y911 is said to be more "precise" due to the "fisheye" swashplate (has a center brass ball that helps reduce motion on the shaft).

I retrofitted my entire fleet with fisheyes.

Like I said, they all have a slightly different personality.

For a straight beginner, the Yellow Y911 might be slightly easier to fly.

Did you change the swashplate or did you simply add a fisheye in the hole. Where did you buy them ?
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
I posted this in the Bravo SX thread, but I got no response. Hopefully, somebody here knows more about FETs than I do.

After some time flying the V911s, I just got a Nine Eagles Bravo SX. I love it, but I did something really stupid. During my first flight out in the driveway, my dog got out of the back yard. Instead of putting the heli away before going after the dog, I tucked it carefully under my arm so I could operate the joystick on my electric wheelchair. I held the transmitter in my lap. Unfortunately, I gave it full throttle. Before I realized what I had done, the damage was done. I seem to have fried the FET for the main motor. I know I can always buy a new board, but I'm hoping I can save this one. ...and a few bucks. I can solder, but I don't know one FET from another. (although I would probably recognize Boba Fet if he was soldered to the board.) I have a dead V911 heli. Does anybody know if the Bravo SX FET and the V911 FET are interchangeable? (If I can desolder a FET from the V911 and solder it onto the Bravo board without damaging anything.)

Thanks a bunch!

Rick
I replaced one on one of my V911's. Here's the part I used: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...=0&y=0&cur=USD

I really do not recommend trying to do this. Traces on the PCB are probably burned. The rework was very difficult.

I would not do it again.

PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple FETs to play with.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
Did you change the swashplate or did you simply add a fisheye in the hole. Where did you buy them ?
You can't just plug the ball into a standard swash.

I bought a bunch from Aliepress/Firecabbage, but they seem to be gone.

Bangood has them: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-V9...t-p-49035.html

They told me in an email that this is the fisheye with CF shaft.
I've seen them on EBay.

The swash is heavier than stock (the ball appears to be brass).
The CF shaft is much lighter than the stock metal shaft and makes up for it.

The resistor mod (if you have an original TX that does three bars on low rate) is a must have mod.

This would be my second.

The concensus has been that the fancy CNC swash are nice looking, but too heavy.