HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
You could also get a soldering station with clamps. I don't have one. Kinda wish I had one sometimes. I figure by the time I mess with that I could have twisted them together. I no expert though so maybe someone else who is will chime in.

Funny (sad) story from an electrical engineer who has been soldering for 30+ years.

Just last week, I was using one of those "helping hands" to hold the RX board from my Red V911 while I was soldering new tail rotor wires.

I plugged in the battery to test my handiwork and smoke billowed from all over.
By the time I got the battery back out, it was obvious thing were bad.
So bad that all the insulation burned off the battery wires from the skids to the board!

I had neglected to remove the "helping hands" and the metal jaws had apparently (obviously) shorted the battery voltage.

The Red member of my fleet now needs a new RX board, or will go to the parts graveyard. It was my favorite.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post

The Red member of my fleet now needs a new RX board, or will go to the parts graveyard. It was my favorite.
Sorry to hear it Rickster. I vote for a new board and cannibalising one of your others
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:13 AM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
That's no good. I too would take an RX off another to keep my favorite v911 flying. I fried a stock transmitter (S800G) once when I forgot to take out the batteries. My 9958 main motor died on my matte black, so I am having to fly my red.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:18 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
In Germany you can get it from Pollin for (3.95 EUR + shipping) : http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/Njc4OTk...ping_Hand.html
In case you're looking for one mystman, Westfalia has it even cheaper. Shipping is the same as Pollin and, who knows, those 96 Cents could go towards your next BNF 911

http://www2.westfalia.de/shops/werkz...d_komplett.htm

Crikey!! Getting cheaper all the time, and if I lived in Dortmund I could even have saved myself the 3.90€ shipping
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Loethilfe-Dri...007#vi-content
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiggertoo1962; Nov 11, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
In case you're looking for one mystman, Westfalia has it even cheaper. Shipping is the same as Pollin and, who knows, those 96 Cents could go towards your next BNF 911
I've already ordered one last Monday,as they had 2 days free shipping.
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Sorry to hear it Rickster. I vote for a new board and cannibalising one of your others
wow rickster i'm sorry that happened., I also am able to repair tons of things, and every once in a while I do something that ruins the whole works. could be my age. also things that I figured out in an instant tkes me a couple days

my vote put in a new board and retire one if the others.
tonytester
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,632 Posts
I've soldered for many years and never got a helping hand...until recently.

Even now, the techniques I've learn over the years is better than fighting with the cheap knobs on the helping hands. I think I need to mod my helping hands first.

Anyways, here's a tip for the helping hands. Put some tubes over the alligator clips. At the very least, put a shrink wrap or two. This prevents the teeth of the clips from biting through the insulation. Easy to do as the wire heats up. I think some people use sugical tubes or whatever that is...and some uses flexible fuel tubing. Anyways, it keeps the insulation of your wires nice and the extra friction helps.

Second, it insulates, so it prevents accidentally smoking up your RX board if you were using it to hold the board and forget to remove it from the helping hand before inserting lipo. (Ask me how I know this lesson)

Basically the bare metal of the clips used in the helping hand is just bad.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Anyways, here's a tip for the helping hands. Put some tubes over the alligator clips. At the very least, put a shrink wrap or two.
Now why didn't I think of that. Will do next chance I get!

Quote:
Second, it insulates, so it prevents accidentally smoking up your RX board if you were using it to hold the board and forget to remove it from the helping hand before inserting lipo. (Ask me how I know this lesson)
Been there, done that.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:04 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Thanks guys, it's always handy when you can learn from other people's mistakes
Doesn't mean I don't make enough of my own though ...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:09 AM
Heliboy
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveOmatic View Post
Two totally different animals. I haven't got to fly my mini cp much at all because of a few problems but that all started when I treated it like a v911 and slammed it on the ground and stripped a gear in the servo from just down throttling. You have to get use to hitting Throttle Hold. 6 Ch CP vs 4 Ch FP is totally different, I would recommend checking out a sim first just to get a feel for it. It can get expensive doing that in real life
Completely agree. That's what I'm going through now.. Was trying idle up ytd and instinctively jerked the throttle stick down when the Mini CP was near to an obstable. Result: MCP smashing itself all over the place before i remembered the throttle hold.
redtwiilight is offline Find More Posts by redtwiilight
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:07 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtwiilight View Post
Completely agree. That's what I'm going through now.. Was trying idle up ytd and instinctively jerked the throttle stick down when the Mini CP was near to an obstable. Result: MCP smashing itself all over the place before i remembered the throttle hold.
That's another advantage of using a TX like the 9x. You can program the throttle hold to shut off the V911 or any model so you get in the habit of hitting that instead of throttle down. I do the same thing for my quad.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
690 Posts
I was going to order a new bnf from Banggood. The old plug version isn't available any longer.
GLHS592 is offline Find More Posts by GLHS592
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
Now why didn't I think of that. Will do next chance I get!

Been there, done that.
I use a fly tying stand and vise grips at one corner of the board or on helis it can grip by the skids or main frame , and rotat around any way you want
tonytester
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
I love MOD! & WALKERA & V911!
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Jan 2012
340 Posts
I got No.9039 of DEFATOYS today.

She can bind to 9X,compatible with V911 !!!

See my page,more photos.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768989
KKDDMM is offline Find More Posts by KKDDMM
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,002 Posts
another one???
So now we got a V911, a Y911 and aD911 ...

... and the clone companies will happily strut through the whole alphabet until we have a 911 from A to Z ... A911, B911 ..... Z911

Interesting canopy - at least one thing that is 0.5% different from the "original clone" ... (oh,m yeah - and they used a 9958 TX for it ... WITH flysky protocol ...)

Thanks for the info KKDDMM, however to me those clones of the clones of the clones of a clones clone slowly start to get just a little boring, sorry.

I will sell any of the FP stuff I have that someone actually still wants ... and focus on the Blade nano ...
(The ones I am going to keep though are my team MAMBA Squad versions)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...