HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:43 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMcCracken View Post
I live in Aus, freight on that is exy, I thought I might just cut the rotor down and spin her up on sandpaper to clean up the length... its the cheapest option.
Don't cut down the tail rotor. You need that thrust to counteract the torque of the main rotor. If you cut down the tail rotor, the tail motor will have to work harder to hold the heading, thus shortening the motor's life. It would only slow right turns, anyway. The resistors are definitely the way to go.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:47 PM
What Do You Drive?
United States, PA, Folsom
Joined Jan 2012
704 Posts
Does anyone know if the large white gear on a Y911 is the same as a V911 in number teeth and pitch diameter, they seem to mesh correclty.

Or if the sub-assembly V911-22 fits a Y911,one shaft is is chrome, one is carbon fiber.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...566278916.html.

MyRCMart doesn't carry a Y911, does anyone know where to get Y911 spare parts as I'm not having any success

A few flights with a Y911 and it took some damage, see my blog.

Thanks in advance
Al
Pancari is offline Find More Posts by Pancari
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancari View Post
Does anyone know if the large white gear on a Y911 is the same as a V911 in number teeth and pitch diameter, they seem to mesh correclty.

Or if the sub-assembly V911-22 fits a Y911,one shaft is is chrome, one is carbon fiber.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...566278916.html.

MyRCMart doesn't carry a Y911, does anyone know where to get Y911 spare parts as I'm not having any success

A few flights with a Y911 and it took some damage, see my blog.

Thanks in advance
Al
Should fit.

I replaced all my fleet (V911 and Y911) with SP Delrin gears.
I measured a couple of each type of gear (V911, Y911, SP): All 1.012-1.015"
I didn't count the teeth, but I bet they are the same +/-.

Both types of shaft (V911 metal and Y911 carbon fiber) are 0.116"

I put "fisheyes" with the carbon shafts in all mine - so that's compatible.

However: Someone yesterday or so posted that the fisheye wouldn't fit on his V911 stock shaft.

I just tried a fisheye on some old metal shafts and they fit for me...

Aliexpress/Firecabbage was my go to parts source, but they seem to have closed up shop.

Banggood told me by email last week that this is the fisheye with carbon shaft: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-V9...t-p-49035.html

(you can kinda see the second guide pin coming out at you in the picture and it looks like carbon fiber).

I got my delrin gears here: http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7335

Your real question was where to get Y911 parts. I haven't seen the main gear anywhere.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: missed a digit :(
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMcCracken View Post
I Have noticed that the turn rate on my v911 rudder is very fast, has anyone tried trimming the tail rotor to slow things down?
I agree on getting the 9116 TX at the low cost. The V911 flies so much better with this controller. I used the TX to trim down the rudder and increase the elevator for more forward speed. I also used the subtrim (saves on power off) to correct a slight clockwise rotation from the rudder. I always had to trim this when turning on the V911 TX.

Max
mkipness is offline Find More Posts by mkipness
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Will soon be doing my 1st tail motor swop and could do with picking your brains guys.
Thanks guys, I'm up and flying again OK it's not rocket science, but for someone whos only previous experience of a soldering iron was about 40 years ago trying to convince his sister she should tell where she hid the chocolate biscuits, it's a step in the right direction

Special thanks to mystman for making sure I didn't have to wait for my parts to arrive from China

I do have one question though. Tinning the wires was no problem, but it took me several attempts at soldering to get the 2 wires to have a good contact and not keep separating. What's the most common "novice" mistake that would cause that? Keepnig the soldering iron on the wires for too long? ...or is it likely that there was some other cause?

Thanks again
Tigg
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm up and flying again
Good to read! Well done! (Couldn't see you crying any longer ... )
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:08 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm up and flying again OK it's not rocket science, but for someone whos only previous experience of a soldering iron was about 40 years ago trying to convince his sister she should tell where she hid the chocolate biscuits, it's a step in the right direction

Special thanks to mystman for making sure I didn't have to wait for my parts to arrive from China

I do have one question though. Tinning the wires was no problem, but it took me several attempts at soldering to get the 2 wires to have a good contact and not keep separating. What's the most common "novice" mistake that would cause that? Keepnig the soldering iron on the wires for too long? ...or is it likely that there was some other cause?

Thanks again
Tigg
I have similar problems, which I think could be partly due to old soldering iron (solder residue slowly collects on the iron tip, hard to keep it clean). I bought a gadget called a helping hand, I hope that'll help in my next repair job. You might consider getting one, $12 from eBay.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
Good to read! Well done! (Couldn't see you crying any longer ... )
even night shift tonight can't wipe the big cheesy grin off my boat race right now
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:

Thanks again
Tigg
I twist the two tinned wires together like RicksterRC said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
Tin both wires separately. <- important step novices often skip
Twist together and solder.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
You could also get a soldering station with clamps. I don't have one. Kinda wish I had one sometimes. I figure by the time I mess with that I could have twisted them together. I no expert though so maybe someone else who is will chime in.

Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Cheers, must've overread the twisting part, although after I had tinned them, they felt pretty solid, and I was a bit worried about breaking them if I twisted them together.
The soldering station looks a good idea. Have to Google it when I get back from nightshift.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,557 Posts
Quote:
You could also get a soldering station with clamps. I don't have one. Kinda wish I had one sometimes. I figure by the time I mess with that I could have twisted them together. I no expert though so maybe someone else who is will chime in.

At a small price like this, there is little excuse not to get one at a store near you. Not the best of quality, but it gets the job done. It's what I use.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Nov 10, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
In Germany you can get it from Pollin for (3.95 EUR + shipping) : http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/Njc4OTk...ping_Hand.html
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:

Thanks again
Tigg
So as not to clutter the thread, I made a quick blog entry with some soldering hints: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...26&postcount=1
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
At a small price like this, there is little excuse not to get one at a store near you. Not the best of quality, but it gets the job done. It's what I use.
Hey, thanks for that. I haven't checked for almost two years. I was never near the one on 290, and now I find out I drive past one everyday from work? Guess where I'll be Monday on the way home?