Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:14 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi Tigg,

First off I would have a good look at your tail rotor and check there is no hair or fluff trapped making it difficult for the motor to turn.

Also check you main rotor shaft for something similar

I would always check these before considering new motors

John.

Thanks for that John

Have already removed the tail rotor and cleaned the shaft. Haven't removed the flybar & blades yet, but looks as though the main shaft could be a bit gunked up. Also when I give it a bit of forward, it causes a slight movement on the left/right drift servo (can never remember what the right names are for them, need some sort of "Eselsbrücke" as it's called over here ). That would probably also point to a dirty swash plate, wouldn't it?

Cheers

Tigg
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:25 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
From what you have written it does sound like your heli would benefit from a strip down and clean. Some regular maintenance never goes wrong

I hope cleaning your heli will sort out your problem.

As for your "Eselsbrücke", we would call it a "mnemonic", a word or phrase to say to help you remember something

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:26 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
Do I need to remove the flybar first, or can I loosen the screw between the swash plate & the blades and take it off as 1 unit?

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:40 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
I cannot say 100% but it does look like you should be able to leave the flybar attached and remove the whole top section as one unit.

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:42 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
"mnemonic", that's the one. Been over here too long mate, it's getting to the stage my German will soon be better than my English

By the looks of things we have a Scotsman in Geordieland talking to a Scotsman in Germany here
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:38 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
Stripped it, gave it the "old toothbrush" treatment, oiled the swash plate bearings, put it back together and it still turns anti-clockwise in hover. Not much - maybe one rotation in 1/2 minute - and I can counter it with a bit of right rudder, but makes it not nice to fly. Trimming to the right makes no difference.
I noticed the the tail rotor still stops occasionally. If I flick it with my finger it starts again. Don't know much about motors... could I drop some oil on the pinion of the tail motor in case it's simply sticking, or would that seep into the motor and bugger thing up even more?

Cheers
Tigg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:44 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
hair problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Thanks for that John

Have already removed the tail rotor and cleaned the shaft. Haven't removed the flybar & blades yet, but looks as though the main shaft could be a bit gunked up. Also when I give it a bit of forward, it causes a slight movement on the left/right drift servo (can never remember what the right names are for them, need some sort of "Eselsbrücke" as it's called over here ). That would probably also point to a dirty swash plate, wouldn't it?

Cheers

Tigg
believe it or not my quad was really driftineg right out of the box. after close observation i found a black pube around one shaft. after removal it flew great
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Messed up motor, or gear issue?

Got some delrin gears the other day and finally dropped one in last night. Motor sounds a bit "chunkier" than with the stock gear. Not sure if that's a very good description, but, there you go. it seems to catch in a couple places when spinning by hand, though I can't see any problem with the gear visually. It did this with a stock replacement gear as well. The only gear that don't cause it is the one that came with it. Could it just be that it needs wearing in?
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:34 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
after close observation i found a black pube around one shaft.
Not sure what that meant so I searched the web...

I wonder what you did with your V911?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

still waiting on my v911, but meantime my e-rix 100 pro (same heli, branded for German market) has started to turn anticlockwise where it always hovered well up til now. I've noticed that the tail rotor doesn't always spin when I give throttle - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Is this a sign of an impending tail motor death, or could it be something else?

Greetz

Tigg
You should also take a close look at the tail motor wires. I just noticed on my V911 that both of the wires were nearly worn through where they went by the edge of the receiver board.

Yay my first post!
Byrdwyngs is offline Find More Posts by Byrdwyngs
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:53 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,459 Posts
Counterclockwise head would suggest something wrong with the tail motor. Add to that the fact you have to flick the tail rotor to get it going sometimes confirms a new tail motor is needed.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
believe it or not my quad was really driftineg right out of the box. after close observation i found a black pube around one shaft. after removal it flew great
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Not sure what that meant so I searched the web...

I wonder what you did with your V911?
I loved my V911 and I love my quads.......but not literally!!
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:22 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,618 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

still waiting on my v911, but meantime my e-rix 100 pro (same heli, branded for German market) has started to turn anticlockwise where it always hovered well up til now. I've noticed that the tail rotor doesn't always spin when I give throttle - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Is this a sign of an impending tail motor death, or could it be something else?

Greetz

Tigg
If your helicopter is starting to turn counter clockwise (CCW), beyond typical rudder trim adjustment, it is almost a sure sign that the tail motor is giving out, especially it has always hovered well in the past.

Your 2nd part of the description needs clarification. When you said that the tail rotor doesn't always spin, are you flying the helicopter? Or are you benching it, or otherwise, holding it still with your hand? It makes a difference, because if your helicopter is not flying, or have the freedom to spin, you are basically taking out the head holding function of the gyro. If the helicopter is not flying or free to spin, there is no need of the tail rotor, and therefore, at low throttle speed, the tail rotor might stop spinning. However, if your helicopter is flying, and the tail stop spinning, your helicopter will be spinning like a top. So fast, that you shouldn't be able to see if the tail rotor is turning or not. Therefore, I suspect that your helicopter is not flying, which invalidate the test.

If you want to check the tail motor when it is not flying, hold it in your hands, give it higher throttle. The tail should kick in. Or, if you use lower throttle, and notice that the tail comes to a stop, manually turn your helicopter with your hand CCW (left), the tail should kick in to counter it if the gyro and tail motor is working.

However, I think your tail motor is failing. It has not completely failed yet. First, check for obvious debris or damaged wires. If the motor is not failing because of obstructions, or high resistance, then it is time to replace it. Good luck.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
Thanks for all your help folks. Oiled the pinion on the tail motor and since then it seems to have stopped jamming. All of a sudden the heli went completely out of control, ducking and diving every which way but loose. Was just about ready to chuck it all in for the day, but decided to take it apart for one last try. Lo and behold, one of my blades was busted - the hole right at the end where the blades are screwed together - and had come off the screw.

Don't know if that was already maybe on the point of breaking and was causing some of the handling difficulties, but I put a new blade on and now it's flying like a dream.

Reckon I'll get a new tail motor anyway, as I'm pretty sure it'll give out sometime soon, but in the meantime I'm airborne again

Happy flying to you all

Tigg

@ byrdwyngs

Already had that one when the heli came down from about 5m. Canopy came off and the cable ripped just at the point you mention. Luckily there was just enough slack to solder it back on to the board
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Your 2nd part of the description needs clarification. When you said that the tail rotor doesn't always spin, are you flying the helicopter? Or are you benching it, or otherwise, holding it still with your hand? It makes a difference, because if your helicopter is not flying, or have the freedom to spin, you are basically taking out the head holding function of the gyro. If the helicopter is not flying or free to spin, there is no need of the tail rotor, and therefore, at low throttle speed, the tail rotor might stop spinning. However, if your helicopter is flying, and the tail stop spinning, your helicopter will be spinning like a top. So fast, that you shouldn't be able to see if the tail rotor is turning or not. Therefore, I suspect that your helicopter is not flying, which invalidate the test.
Bang on the mark Heli Pad, was hand held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
If you want to check the tail motor when it is not flying, hold it in your hands, give it higher throttle. The tail should kick in. Or, if you use lower throttle, and notice that the tail comes to a stop, manually turn your helicopter with your hand CCW (left), the tail should kick in to counter it if the gyro and tail motor is working.

However, I think your tail motor is failing. It has not completely failed yet. First, check for obvious debris or damaged wires. If the motor is not failing because of obstructions, or high resistance, then it is time to replace it. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, stuff like this is really helping me understand the physical side of what's going on

Greetz
Tigg
RCG Plus Member