HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Is there something I'm missing with the fisheye swashplate setup? Everyone who has one swears its better in every way, but each time I've installed it, I get more shakes and vibrations than ever before and it becomes a hassle to fly. Do you have to move the guide to the back position? Is there anything else I should be changing?
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:32 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Noobhead - Improvised training gear.

Made simple training gear for the 911 last night, zip-tied two carbon sticks and cut 4 sugar cube size foam blocks for the ends.

With the zip-tie in the center, i simply hooked the "sticks" over the front and rear of the skid on the v911. the tention from the zip tie keep them in place.

So, the result was - the thing flies like a dog.. BUT, oddly the TBE disappeared (tried this on my old 911 with huge TBE syndrome)
it also added enough drag that every axis slowed down significantly.
more importantly, it added enough visual that I could easily fly it down the hall-way without loosing track of it like I normally do.

Do I recommend trying it...? Not really.
But if you are even more beginner than I am, Im transisioning from quadrotor to single rotor and sucking at it.... then it give a surprising amount of docile handeling and visual information when the heli rotate and move in general.

* adjust a bit to keep the CPG as it otherwise can get a bit interesting

** I made it for my GeniusCP which can be a bit flighty indoor close to my GF's orchids. it works exactly the same on the CP.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:38 AM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong80 View Post
Is there something I'm missing with the fisheye swashplate setup? Everyone who has one swears its better in every way, but each time I've installed it, I get more shakes and vibrations than ever before and it becomes a hassle to fly. Do you have to move the guide to the back position? Is there anything else I should be changing?
I decided to try installing one last night. Mine also picked up a shake with the fisheye. While playing with it I noticed the anti rotation pin was binding in the guide slot. When I opened up the guide a little with a hobby knife the shaking stopped.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Put a yellow canopy, blades and tail piece on one of my orange V911's. Man is that thing noisy. Almost twice as loud as red and orange one. I noticed there is no little vent hole on the front, perhaps that has something to do with it. Rely have to work to get it on pins don't line up good and servo linkage is tight. Looks cool but red one still flies the best.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post
Hi
6:
WHAT: Install a Fisheye Swashplate
WHY: Makes all movements of the helicopter more precise.
HOW: Unclip all ball links from the swashplate. Unscrew the little screw below the rotor head completely. Pull the rotor head off the main shaft. Slide the new swashplate onto the shaft and connect the servo links. Slide the rotor head onto the shaft, hold it up to the light to make sure the hole in the shaft is lined up with the hole in the rotor head and reinstall the screw. Clip the links from the rotor head back onto the balls on the swash plate. Unless you are only flying indoors, you will probably want to use the longer balls. Check that servo travel is not obstructed at full stick input.
Owen
Only thing I'd add is to go with the Carbon Fiber main shaft that comes with the fisheye swash.

I don't have the numbers handy, but it's way lighter than the stock shaft.

Don't be tempted to go with the CF SP260 shaft. Quality is poor and I ended up throwing 4 out.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, HI, Maui
Joined Oct 2009
21 Posts
Hi Guys,
I got my v911 yesterday(first heli) and was just getting the hang of flying it around my living room when my couch jumped out and grabbed it. It fell about 3 feet to the ground and now has a nasty vibration that shakes the whole heli when I start it up.
Nothing seems broken or bent. The only thing I notice is the flybar is pointing down instead of being level. It moves freely, but when you move it and release it it goes back to pointing at the ground.
I was really enjoying flying this and would appreciate any ideas on how to fix it.
alpo is offline Find More Posts by alpo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:15 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
Only thing I'd add is to go with the Carbon Fiber main shaft that comes with the fisheye swash.

I don't have the numbers handy, but it's way lighter than the stock shaft.

Don't be tempted to go with the CF SP260 shaft. Quality is poor and I ended up throwing 4 out.
I didn't install them because they were a bit shorter than the originals so I wasn't sure they'd fit. I'll give it a try if you say so. Are they as crash resistant as the originals? I've got a Bravo SX Hughes 500 fuselage here that I still haven't got around to installing. I'm sure some weight saving would be a good idea for the bird that gets that one.

The main reason I haven't installed the Bravo SX fuselage is that one of my three birds is down with a borken gyro. I want one with the Hughes 300 canopy, one with the Hughes 500 fuselage and one stock that my wife can crash fly without risking too much damage. With one bird down that means I need to keep one stock...

Owen
nagromnewo is offline Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
Hi Guys,
I got my v911 yesterday(first heli) and was just getting the hang of flying it around my living room when my couch jumped out and grabbed it. It fell about 3 feet to the ground and now has a nasty vibration that shakes the whole heli when I start it up.
Nothing seems broken or bent. The only thing I notice is the flybar is pointing down instead of being level. It moves freely, but when you move it and release it it goes back to pointing at the ground.
I was really enjoying flying this and would appreciate any ideas on how to fix it.
Sounds like your couch ate one of the ballast weights in the flybar. A possible solution is to remove the other weight, drill holes in each end of the flybar and insert two tiny self-tapping screws of about the same weight as the original ballast weights.

Oh, and order yourself some spare parts and a couple of BNF helicopters before you break something that can't be fixed in the field. Watch out when ordering flybars though. There is an old type and a new type. The old one is heavier and I think most people prefer the new one, but we all seem to receive the old type if we order spare flybars. I've got one too. I never installed it on a helicopter though.

And put a little drop of CA glue on the weights in your flybars for the future.

Happy flying

Owen
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:32 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
Hi Guys,
sounds like a weight came out of the flybar. Owen beat me to it
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, HI, Maui
Joined Oct 2009
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post
Sounds like your couch ate one of the ballast weights in the flybar. A possible solution is to remove the other weight, drill holes in each end of the flybar and insert two tiny self-tapping screws of about the same weight as the original ballast weights.

Oh, and order yourself some spare parts and a couple of BNF helicopters before you break something that can't be fixed in the field. Watch out when ordering flybars though. There is an old type and a new type. The old one is heavier and I think most people prefer the new one, but we all seem to receive the old type if we order spare flybars. I've got one too. I never installed it on a helicopter though.

And put a little drop of CA glue on the weights in your flybars for the future.

Happy flying

Owen
Thanks Owen & BVC. That's exactly what happened. I was thinking of buying a backup BNF from Tmart, but it appears to be the older model and I have the newer version w/batteries & charger. Any idea where I can get a BNF newer version?
alpo is offline Find More Posts by alpo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
928 Posts
Hi again

I went back and installed the CF shaft on one of my birds. I can't really say I notice much difference in performance. I only flew one battery in the living room. I flew two batteries outdoors earlier, but my pinkies were turning blue... I'm quite happy anyway as I flew two whole batteries in 10 - 15 Mph wind and didn't crash once! Did a couple of big fast nose-in funnels which was interesting in the gusty wind.

I also tried to move the swash plate guide, but nailpolish remover did nothing to it and no manner of squeezing and twisting would dislodge it. Got to get some CA debonder. Any idea where I can buy that locally without going to a hobby store?

Owen
Last edited by nagromnewo; Nov 01, 2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
New V911?

I have a lot of hours on my beloved V911. Can someone please brief me on all the changes in the ďNew V911Ē? Havenít been following this thread lately, been spending all my time AND MONEY on a Nano and a 130X. Not sure if its worth it, I could do anything on my V911,sitting in the living room half drunk and watching TV. With collective pitch seems to take all my facilities and I canít wait for the timer to go off so I can land. Iím sure it will get better but I think Iíll get the box down with my worn out V911 in it and have some fun.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:14 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
I have a lot of hours on my beloved V911. Can someone please brief me on all the changes in the ďNew V911Ē? Havenít been following this thread lately, been spending all my time AND MONEY on a Nano and a 130X. Not sure if its worth it, I could do anything on my V911,sitting in the living room half drunk and watching TV. With collective pitch seems to take all my facilities and I canít wait for the timer to go off so I can land. Iím sure it will get better but I think Iíll get the box down with my worn out V911 in it and have some fun.
The new v911 people are talking about lately is just a new version with a new battery connector. And it's not the same as the 9958.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
What is a 9958? Is the new battery bigger or somthing? I have a lot of the older batteries, will they work on the new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The new v911 people are talking about lately is just a new version with a new battery connector. And it's not the same as the 9958.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
What is a 9958? Is the new battery bigger or somthing? I have a lot of the older batteries, will they work on the new?
The new one has a bigger Plug like this Battery : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ade_mCPx_.html
And NO, the older ones don't work as mentioned multiple times in this thread
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman