SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:32 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by col1n View Post
After 2 days of ownership and 12 packs (3 used 4 times each) through my v911 I've discovered a couple of things...
1: I need more batteries to make the most of the calm conditions
2: very little of what I learnt on 3ch co-ax is transferable to these awesome flying machines!

I believe my stock batteries are all 120mah and I'm getting around 7mins from these. Should I stick with 120mah when getting more or are the larger ones a good investment? (it's on "old" style batteries)
I have a bunch of 120s but just ordered some 150s today.
In this thread you will find that most who own the 150s prefer them - more pep and longer flights.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,112 Posts
I have several V911's and use stock batteries. Amazed at how well all have held up and stock batteries are still working well. WL: Toys has done a good job with this heli. Also V929's are doing fine to boot !
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
Sounds like a bad main motor to me.

At full throttle, the main is stealing so much electrical power that the tail loses it's power.
Maybe. It's a brand new motor though. Maybe a dozen flights at most.

Quote:
At low throttle, the main motor isn't putting out as much rotational power as it should and the tail is over compensating.
The spinning is because I'm holding full rudder. Everything works normally at low throttle. Maybe my original wording was a bit tricky. I'm running at heavy throttle and full CW rudder gives nothing, I continue to hold full rudder while reducing throttle until all of a sudden when the throttle is low enough the rudder kicks in and and the heli starts spinning like mad which is what it should have been doing all along because I'm holding full rudder.

Quote:
While waiting for your new motor, try one fine machine oil on the shaft at the pinion end to see if you can get a few more flights out of it.
That is exactly what killed my original motor. Oil got on the brushes.

Quote:
You might try an SP 270 motor (or better yet SP Bravo SX) if you can get them locally.
I may try that route if it is in fact the main motor.

I should mention that my flight times are normal (within 10 seconds).
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Oct 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like a bad main motor to me.

At full throttle, the main is stealing so much electrical power that the tail loses it's power.

At low throttle, the main motor isn't putting out as much rotational power as it should and the tail is over compensating.

While waiting for your new motor, try one fine machine oil on the shaft at the pinion end to see if you can get a few more flights out of it.

You might try an SP 270 motor (or better yet SP Bravo SX) if you can get them locally.
Just thinking out loud, a failing (or aging) tail motor could also contribute to what you see; at full throttle, the tail motor is already spinning as fast as it could (or close to it), now you want it to work harder by turning right, so it's possible that it simply could not work as hard as you want it to. Unfortunately, changing a tail motor is probably more of a pain than changing a main motor, so you may still want to swap the main first and see.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
[You might try an SP 270 motor (or better yet SP Bravo SX) if you can get them locally.] The Bravo Sx motor I paid $10 for is a white end cap motor and the can is the same size as the v911 motor. I haven't had a chance to test it but I don't expect much. I believe the Blade motor is a black end cap version but I don't know what the dimensions are.http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...w-Pinion-mSR-X
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Just thinking out loud, a failing (or aging) tail motor could also contribute to what you see; at full throttle, the tail motor is already spinning as fast as it could (or close to it), now you want it to work harder by turning right, so it's possible that it simply could not work as hard as you want it to. Unfortunately, changing a tail motor is probably more of a pain than changing a main motor, so you may still want to swap the main first and see.
Hmmm, I just did a couple flights trying to test this thing. Now I don't think it has anything to do with the throttle. I think the tail motor is just weaker in general. It spins like crazy if the heli is not moving very much but as soon as it has to push against the wind (FFF, etc) then it just can't do it. It's sort of off and on like the tail blade is slipping but like I said, I have tried a few tail blades and it didn't change anything.

Not sure, I guess I'll have to try a new tail motor.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Hmmm, I just did a couple flights trying to test this thing. Now I don't think it has anything to do with the throttle. I think the tail motor is just weaker in general. It spins like crazy if the heli is not moving very much but as soon as it has to push against the wind (FFF, etc) then it just can't do it. It's sort of off and on like the tail blade is slipping but like I said, I have tried a few tail blades and it didn't change anything.

Not sure, I guess I'll have to try a new tail motor.
If the heli spins to the right (CW), even at low throttle and w/ no rudder input, then I suspect it's a gyro issue, I had seen these symptoms in a few of my heli's (some v911's, some 9958's), it's as if the gyro is working intermittently, the tail would hold still for a second or two, then spin on its own, then hold again, etc. When the heli start to do that, I just relegate it to parts status rather than trying to fix it, especially w/ v911's since BNF's are really as cheap as parts.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Last edited by stonecutter; Oct 20, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
I prefer the 9958 motor over the Bravo and you can get two for the cost of one Bravo. I did like the Bravo more than the stock.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
I prefer the 9958 motor over the Bravo and you can get two for the cost of one Bravo. I did like the Bravo more than the stock.
Is it a drop in replacement (size wise)?
Same number of pinion teeth?

Why do you prefer it?

Longer flights, more oomph, longer life, cheaper, higher quality?

How about the 9958 tail motor?

For indoor flight, I'm looking for longer life.
For outdoors, I'm looking for more oomph.

For all I'm looking for higher quality, longer life.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
My own little flybar mod

Last night I made use of the stock flybar and wrong msr flybar I bought and made my first paddled flybar! I cut off the weights on the stock flybar and then cut the paddles off the msr flybar. I then drilled out the holes from the outside of the paddles making it a tight fit for the cut stock flybar to fit into. I got lucky and made it almost exactly the same length on both sides on the first try. It was nearly balanced and vibrates a very small amount. I get a little TBE, but really not an uncontrollable amount. A little extra weight may be necessary to balance it. One thing is for certain: it now screams around the room! So much so that I think it's going to have to be relegated to outdoor flight only. The forward flight is amazing, but you need to really blast the throttle. Wow! I know it's not the "right" flybar paddles, but what a difference. Now to get a second v911 so that I can have an indoor and outdoor heli.
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Haway the lads!
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
My first Post :) Removing Tail motor

Hi guys,
I'v been reading this forum for abour 6 months. I'v been reading this thread for a few weeks. I might have missed the answer.

But how do I remove the tail motor from the V911. It seems to be glued in. I read somewhere about it being clipped in but that information has not helped me remove it from its holder..

Anyway, cool forum, I'm very new to helis, I have two V911s.

Anyone have a video or clear explanation how to get the motor out without breaking things?

thanks guys!
:
warrenx is offline Find More Posts by warrenx
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,747 Posts
Is there any pretty much bolt on flybar mod? I have one on order, already have a Solo Pro, but hate the pendulum effect. You get a nice FFF for a few secs till the flybar takes over. I would gladly trade some stability for better FFF.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:16 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Is it a drop in replacement (size wise)?
Same number of pinion teeth?

Why do you prefer it?

Longer flights, more oomph, longer life, cheaper, higher quality?

How about the 9958 tail motor?

For indoor flight, I'm looking for longer life.
For outdoors, I'm looking for more oomph.

For all I'm looking for higher quality, longer life.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13290
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13311

I can't comment on longer life/quality. It was used when I put it in (I bought 1 used bnf, 1 new bnf, 1 used rtf, an 9958, and a lot of misc parts from someone on the forum here) and I have only had it in for 3 weeks. It has more oomph like the Bravo -probably a little more (more teeth). When I put in a fresh battery I have to be careful because it will get to the ceiling fast and easily. It's very quite and smooth, and it's cheaper. If it last as long, or close, as the stock it is what I will be continuing to use.

I haven't used the tail motor yet. The wires are so beat up I don't know if I will be able to. I will try when the time comes (looks like a perfect fit) and post back, but again, it's used.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Last edited by Bvc; Oct 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenx View Post
But how do I remove the tail motor from the V911. It seems to be glued in. I read somewhere about it being clipped in but that information has not helped me remove it from its holder..
The tail motor does come out of its housing, you just have to be careful how you handle it.. Its not glued in and should just slide out.. You just have to work with it a bit, use a little leverage and pry it out. You don't have much slack, but there is enough to remove the motor from the clip.

Sorry I don't have a video or a better explanation.

Please be careful though. If you aren't careful, you'll do what I did and strip the wires from the motor rendering it useless... I had to order a new tail motor and clip because of my mistake. (This occurred when I was trying to remove the clip from the tail boom, NOT when I was removing the motor from the housing.)

The motor is soldered on to the main board. So unless you're prepared to remove the old soldering, that tail motor isn't going anywhere.
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenx View Post
Hi guys,
I'v been reading this forum for abour 6 months. I'v been reading this thread for a few weeks. I might have missed the answer.

Anyway, cool forum, I'm very new to helis, I have two V911s.

Anyone have a video or clear explanation how to get the motor out without breaking things?

thanks guys!
:
Someone already mentioned how to get it out. Gently pries from the back end between the clip and motor cap. Don't be tempted to pull from the pinion shaft end. You'll pull the guts out of the motor - and you won't be able to get it back in.

If you're trying to get it out to replace the motor, note that threading new wires through the tail boom is very difficult (virtually impossible with boom mounted to frame).

You may want to clip the existing wires near the old motor, and cut the new wires with about 1 1/2 inches. Strip all four, twist together and solder the pairs, them cover with tape/nail polish/liquid tape etc.
(or I ca glue the splices to opposite sides of the tail fin)
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC