SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
Well I went and ordered the Turnigy 9X anyway from Hobby King; and with all due respect to adjangs' comment about not needing the 9X, I want it anyway. I am NOT an experienced heli pilot, and if the 9X makes my flying experience more enjoyable because it makes it easier to control, then I say it is worth the money. Sorry.

I also order the Xtreme carbon flybar kit like the one that Rawmade has.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the full metal head/swash kit though. Worried a bit about the weight issue.
hope12839 is offline Find More Posts by hope12839
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope12839 View Post
Well I went and ordered the Turnigy 9X anyway from Hobby King; and with all due respect to adjangs' comment about not needing the 9X, I want it anyway. I am NOT an experienced heli pilot, and if the 9X makes my flying experience more enjoyable because it makes it easier to control, then I say it is worth the money. Sorry.

I also order the Xtreme carbon flybar kit like the one that Rawmade has.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the full metal head/swash kit though. Worried a bit about the weight issue.
Did you order a backlight kit for your Turnigy (X?
If you have not then you should ammend your order and get one, it will make the screen much easier to read
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Did you order a backlight kit for your Turnigy (X?
If you have not then you should ammend your order and get one, it will make the screen much easier to read
can someone provide a part number / web link to one of these backlight kits...
I'm curious what it looks like. it will probably be several months before I place an order for a 9X TX, I want to have some idea what these look like so I'll be better informed when I do order one.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
I'm curious what it looks like. it will probably be several months before I place an order for a 9X TX, I want to have some idea what these look like so I'll be better informed when I do order one.

One link as requested

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...reen_DIY_.html

There are videos on You Tube and also on the 9X thread here on RCG showing you how to do this mod step by step.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69 View Post
Hey guys, my replacement v911 Rx does not have an antenna wire. Is this just a normal wire and what is the length of your antenna wires?
Jlk69, Your goal is 1/4 wavelength, or 30.7mm.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
scotsoft, I just added the backlight kit to my order. Thank you for reminding me of that.
hope12839 is offline Find More Posts by hope12839
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
217 Posts
I'm going to have to correct what I wrote a few days ago about the V911 Tx being able to stand upright like a hobby grade, while the Nine Eagles Tx can't... Aparently, the 9E Tx can stand on its side, but it isn't upright in the strictest sense, and you have to bend the antena to make it space-saving...
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69 View Post
Hello, I just got my order in with a v911 board. Can any one point me to the spots where I solder the tail motor to? I am attempting to build a Bravo SX using a v911 Rx. I do not have another v911 to compare with. Previous pictures do not show which pad to use for the tail motor. My Rx say Rev.4 on it.
This is where you solder them...red+ blue -
computerbreak is offline Find More Posts by computerbreak
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
heli wireless range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Yes, looks like a normal piece of wire. It's ~ 1 inch long.
Looks like normal wire...with clear plastic coating..mine's about an inch too. Speaking of this...what about wireless range...what kind of range are you guys getting? I've had mine 100-150 feet away but haven't gone beyond due to worry What about the rest of you? And will we get much better range/control with a longer wire on the heli?
computerbreak is offline Find More Posts by computerbreak
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,453 Posts
Heli Pad got the correct length for 2.4ghz
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
Ken, I would recommend ordering the SmartiParts board if you plan to keep in the hobby for a while. http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

It's actually more expensive than the entire transmitter, but it comes with a backlight, but more importantly makes it very easy to update the 9X transmitter with third party software like er9x or th9x, both of which add a lot of nice functionality to the radio (as well as make it easier to use, and are constantly being updated with bug fixes and new features).

If you're just getting this for 1 v911 and that's the only helicopter you are ever going to buy, it doesn't make financial sense, but since you're on RC Groups here, that's probably not the case. I recommend this course of action for anyone who plans to keep playing with helicopters (and don't forget planes too!), the Turnigy 9x with the updated firmwares is a quite nice transmitter that is capable of doing all sorts of things, and is capable of growing with you as you increase the size and number of helicopters you use.

I see that kind of sounds like an advertisement. But I do think if you have more than 1 helicopter, that the 9x is worthwhile, if just for control over dual rates and expo. And if you ever plan to hop into something like CP heli's, then the transmitter with 3rd party firmware is what you want.
sgnelson is offline Find More Posts by sgnelson
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnelson View Post
Ken, I would recommend ordering the SmartiParts board if you plan to keep in the hobby for a while. http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331
... that the 9x is worthwhile, if just for control over dual rates and expo. And if you ever plan to hop into something like CP heli's, then the transmitter with 3rd party firmware is what you want.
Here's part of my problem, I have no idea what that actually means, so I can't fully appreciate the advantages
... control over dual rates and expo...??
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
Dual rate essentially means control authority that has two modes: fast and slow.

Exponential means the control throw can be tweaked to be very fine toward the center and increase in authority exponentially as the control stick reaches the end of its travel.
adjangs is offline Find More Posts by adjangs
Last edited by adjangs; Jan 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
Well guys I have gone thur about 10 batt cycles and I guess I got one of the best. Because this Heli flys AWSOME..... Stock out the Box this Heli flys great The only thing that I can bitch about is the little taps on the bottom of the skids they catch on the carpet. and I have cut them off, and now it is slick as ice. I am not a Pro by any messure. I am going to order some more of them ASAP. This thing will fly sloooow or fast
conpaired to my 9958. Well i just can't Night and Day.
sdjb is offline Find More Posts by sdjb
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Does anyone know if the V911 canopy / tail will fit on the solo pro? Or if the battery charger will charge the solo pro batteries? Thanks!
thedigitel is offline Find More Posts by thedigitel