SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I think that is the version I just got. Red and white one. The tail on it is so fast it was hard do do any kind of turn. it's way different than the orange and black I gave my son in law last spring.
I just got a Turnigy 9x several days ago so I set it up and set the tail to 50% expo, which is a little too much, but now the tail is very smooth. It could be something in the rx, otherwise the revo mixing in the PCB could be screwed up.
I also notice some others are setting the Turnigy 9x ELV/AIL limits to 120%.
On mine, if I set more than 100% with the DR also at 100%, I get into servo bind. Is this something they have changed on newer versions?
The original TX had very "twitchy" tail behavior. It could be fixed by adding two resistors to the TX board (search "resistor mod").
Apparently at some point, the TX improved so this was no longer an issue.

I believe on the original TX, in low rate, moving the rudder hard left, hard right caused 3 bars.
On the improved TX, it shows two bars.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway11 View Post
My symptoms started showing up suddenly after a particularly hard crash, it wasn't a slow deterioration. It flew very well up until the crash. Had maybe 50-60 flights on it.
If you didn't cut the throttle immediately, the locked rotors draw enough current to eat up the brushes.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
I'm new to helicopter flight, so I've had learn from scratch. My V911 is 30 days old, with about 90 flights or 9 hours. Despite the abuse it had to endure in the beginning it performs perfectly. My question is how long do these motors last with the proper care ?
75 Bravo is offline Find More Posts by 75 Bravo
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 Bravo View Post
I'm new to helicopter flight, so I've had learn from scratch. My V911 is 30 days old, with about 90 flights or 9 hours. Despite the abuse it had to endure in the beginning it performs perfectly. My question is how long do these motors last with the proper care ?
That seems to vary greatly from unit to unit or perhaps it's user to user.

I have two that I fly regularly. One motor died last week.
When I opened it up, I found it had worn entirely through all three fingers on one of the brushes, while the other looked brand new.
My guess is that it was assembled with much more spring tension on one, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Considering that they probably pay a palrty sum for the motors, how much quality can we expect?

I'm looking for the ideal replacement.
Performance as good or better.
Life expectancy better.
Cost not really an object (as compared to the time/cost to procure and install).

Anyone know of a good/better candidate?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
If you didn't cut the throttle immediately, the locked rotors draw enough current to eat up the brushes.
That's why I won't let anyone else fly mine. I was trying to teach my brother how to fly when he came by one day and he crashed with throttle still on, had to grab the tax fast to cut throttle. He might buy one, but honestly I may try to show only him again since he was in town the other day and asked if I wanted a nice heli for Christmas while he watched me fly . Locked rotor with throttle on after crash would burn it up fast wouldn't it?
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
That's why I won't let anyone else fly mine. I was trying to teach my brother how to fly when he came by one day and he crashed with throttle still on, had to grab the tax fast to cut throttle. He might buy one, but honestly I may try to show only him again since he was in town the other day and asked if I wanted a nice heli for Christmas while he watched me fly . Locked rotor with throttle on after crash would burn it up fast wouldn't it?
There's 2 things you don't lend, your wife or your heli.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Here is a silly question: is it possible to remove the "module" from the stock tx and put it in a different tx? Or is there no module? I haven't been so brave as to venture inside my stock tx as its my only means of flying my little bird at this time.

Also, how can I tell if I have the revision of the transmitter that WL-Toys put out with better rudder control versus the one that was previously "twitchy." Okay, that was 2 silly questions.
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
If you take apart a dead motor, you may be surprised at how small the "brushes" are.
Each of the two "brushes" is composed of three tiny fingers of very thin spring material that press against a copper commutator.

Referring to a post of mine of long ago, it looks like I tested a stalled main motor at 2.2A
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8087

Those tiny fingers, with the even tinier contact patch. I imagine they glow - for a short time...

Oh, and the FET probably isn't real happy either...

FWIW: Motor disassembly - don't plan on putting it back together again.
Remove the pinion gear - pry off carefully with a screw driver.
Hold the motor case with the rounded section of regular old pliers (not needle nose).
Smack the motor shaft onto a hard surface. The motor guts will fly out.
Find the white end casing and you can examine the brushes I mention.
Find the motor windings and you might be surprised (as I was) that the magnets are inside the windings.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Dang! I crashed hard into a ladder in my garage (I did manage to cut the throttle in time) but now it wobbles a lot and is drifting like crazy and my trim is all of of whack. The only thing I can see that changed physically is the pin (is that was it is?) that pushes from the bottom up into the frame from the skids, came out. Even when pushed hard back in it comes loose. Could this be the cause of all my current problems? A little super glue is in order perhaps?

I also nicked the ceiling with the flybar a bit. They are not beat very bad at all. Fresh charged battery made it are off faster than I was anticipating!

All in all:
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
BThirsk: If you have a Devo 8, just flash the firmware with DeviationX. Then you'll be able to control all the protocol. For FlySky, you can install the module that is in the v911 RTF TX.

Then you'll really have one TX to rule them all.
Daryoon. First, That you for all the info you provide. I've been lurking for a long time and learned a lor from you and other around here.

Now, I have a Devo 10 and just flashed my 9x to ER9x. I like the 10 a lot (the feel of it and controls) but using eepe and the simulate function keeps me loving the 9x... BUT, If I could use my 10 with the V911, V929 and 9958 would change my mind.
Any instructions or pages to learn about flashing the devo? I may be able to locate the pages (I saw them time ago), but any pointers about removing the module from V911 tx and installing in the Devo would help me a lot to see if I can do it and actually try it. Can you share any information or place with similar instructions or guides?

Thanks!
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
^^^ Nevermind. Found it!
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong80 View Post
Dang! I crashed hard into a ladder in my garage (I did manage to cut the throttle in time) but now it wobbles a lot and is drifting like crazy and my trim is all of of whack. The only thing I can see that changed physically is the pin (is that was it is?) that pushes from the bottom up into the frame from the skids, came out. Even when pushed hard back in it comes loose. Could this be the cause of all my current problems? A little super glue is in order perhaps?

I also nicked the ceiling with the flybar a bit. They are not beat very bad at all. Fresh charged battery made it are off faster than I was anticipating!

All in all:
Maybe you lost one of the weights in the flybar.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:17 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdpl686 View Post
^^^ Nevermind. Found it!
Let us know how it works. I am concerned with the function of deviation as I have 6 other models up to a 600 and don't want to break any because of TX issues.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:22 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
I'm looking for the ideal replacement.
Performance as good or better.
Life expectancy better.
Cost not really an object (as compared to the time/cost to procure and install).

Anyone know of a good/better candidate?
On the UM planes the Bravo SX motor is very popular. Or perhaps the Helios 100 motor? Though not much is known yet about it's durability.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Maybe you lost one of the weights in the flybar.
Nope. Both are still there. It was the first thing I checked thanks to everyone on this thread. My 5pc 120mah lipos are coming today, so I'll charge up after work and give it a go. I'm wondering if it was just that the gyro got knocked out of whack. I didn't remove the battery and reinitialize, so hopefully that's it.