Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,936 Posts
Notes & tricks for your V911!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong80 View Post
Perfection. I even managed a very rudimentary nose in funnel! Now back to the basics... And to ordering spare batteries.
From experience, funnels are addictive. And in the process, you will likely be crashing a lot, and likely be slamming the side of the helicopter against the wall. This is different from the typical head-on crashes.

Side impact can be a BIG problem. There are wires running along the sides of the board. You should ensure that the wires are firmly secured with glue before pulling off funnels in a confined space.

Take it slow. You may be carried away by the excitement but do control the speed. It can pick up speed real quick, and when you realize that the radius of the funnel is too big for the room, *BAAAM*!

You may want to order more landing skids. I never broken any landing skids before discovering funnels. After that, I broke 3 landing skids. I suppose sideway crashes to the wall or ground do more damage to the fragile skids.

Another fun thing to do is "handbrake turns" (I coined that). Say you're about to reach the end of the room and you need to turn back. You could perform a sharp banked turn (right aileron, right rudder) or perform a "handbrake turn" (left aileron, right rudder). This adds variety to indoor flight.

I'm trying this now - midway through a FFF, pirouette, then continue. Or, midway through a banked turn, pirouette, then continue. If execute correctly, it looks great.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Last edited by FyreSG; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
253 Posts
Nice! I'll be trying that as soon as I master my turn timing.
elkabong80 is online now Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
My Corter Is Borken
United States, OH, Newark
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
i have all knobs set at 0 (midway) and i havent used them i didnt know that the y were for trim thanks
tonytester
Supposedly those settings allow the knobs to be used for trim. Mine don't work that way, that's why I was asking if yours do.
MC808 is offline Find More Posts by MC808
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
My yellow was by far the most precise as far as stick controllability. Equally agile as my others. But does not seem to have a more powerful motor, if anything it had less lift (could be the motor, or the board limiting voltage to the motor, or ??), but for indoor flying, I would buy another yellow (or white, which appears to be same mechanically). All parts seem interchangable, with the canopy being a tight fit.
After losing my first "New V911" in a tree or something - I cancelled the Ebay sale I had on it's twin (same order) I was instantly SURPRISED at the rate of climb and overall speed. The prior yellow V911 had lost it's "pep" and with a replaced main motor (as anemic as the original) no improvement.

I think it may have been a problem on the mainboard. I noticed the battery would never really feel hot though the motor DID. It's flights were way shorter than its replacement.
wavy is offline Find More Posts by wavy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Check for proper gyro operation, hold heli in hand, with motor running yaw counter clock wise and see if tail motor revs up to resist. If gyro's bad, that'll explain heli spinning out of control.
Have had two of the "new yellow" V911 with tail motor going out IN THE FIRST WEEK.
wavy is offline Find More Posts by wavy
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:32 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavy View Post
Have had two of the "new yellow" V911 with tail motor going out IN THE FIRST WEEK.
Sorry to hear that man ...

SO ... should we NOT start to no longer call the yellow V911 a V911, as it is obviously NOT a V911 but made by a different company and thus a totally individual heli .. ie CLONE!

pancari once called it a Y911 in a conversation with me - and I truly think, this would be a much more fitting designation than yellow V911 ...
What do you guys think??
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:14 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,769 Posts
What's the company that produces the "Y911" again? I went to banggood but couldn't find it. It's not WLToys I assume...
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
What's the company that produces the "Y911" again? I went to banggood but couldn't find it. It's not WLToys I assume...
no idea what the companies name is - but many of the parts have a strong resemblence to the Juichon 9C002 (in particular canopy and swash)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
I have had my Y911 since Monday and so far so good, it had no problems binding to my original WL Tx, it did need a fair bit of trim, far more than any of my WL V911's but once trimmed it is OK.

I will report back if any of the motors start to go

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:10 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavy View Post
I was ready to order two of these. Now what do I do...?

I just decided that the problem with my blue and white RTF is probably the gyro rather than the tail motor. The tail rotor responds smoothly to the rudder stick, but there doesn't seem to be any change in tail rotor speed if I twist the bird in my hand while the motors are running.

By the time I've bought a new receiver board I will have put more money into fixing this bird than the price of a new BNF. I may still do that though, as the old receiver board with (probably) broken gyro could be used in something else. (A little airplane using a V911 motor?)

So, has anyone here logged some hours on the yellow bird (V911, Y911 or whatever) without breaking the tail motor?

What is the best place to buy a new BNF (Yellow or Red/White) in the US or with fast shipping to the US?

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,065 Posts
New Blog update with my initial impressions of the Helios Flybar and Swashplate. I'll update once I can do a test flight (This may take awhile as I've been really busy with my 939 quad/808 camera as well as my boats).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=350297
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
New Blog update with my initial impressions of the Helios Flybar and Swashplate. I'll update once I can do a test flight (This may take awhile as I've been really busy with my 939 quad/808 camera as well as my boats).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=350297
Thanks for weighing the flybars. I was curious of the weight difference but never bothered digging out my grain scale to see. The Helios flybar definitely works with the V911. Main advantage is the ALMOST complete lack of flybar strikes. Flying the heli as hard as I can, I will generally only manage one very light strike so this is a definite improvement. The only downside I can find is that it tends to exaggerate the porpoising effect of a flybar. I have found by adjusting my flying style a little that I can limit that affect somewhat but it's still there more than before. Overall I do enjoy the Helios flybar mod because it make the V911 more agile in the air.
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
71 Posts
The two white v911 i bought just arrived.

Yes. They are different than the yellow one.

To be honest..I think the white one flew better out of the box..I felt like it was much easier to control.
The both hover about the same..but when I did a little zoom around my small room i felt like I had slightly better control of the white one.
If anyone is interested..I can try to post a couple pictures when I get back home.

I can confirm..the yellow one must be from a different company.
But i've been flying mine for a good week..at least 2 flights a day...and the motors are going fine.
I just broke the legs on the landing skid
totse is offline Find More Posts by totse
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Motor static testing

I did some motor testing.
I did static testing. I weighed the helie's All Up Weight.
I then held them down to the scale with a wrench jammed through the skids and zeroed (tare-d) the scale.
I then recorded the "negative weight" at various times. Initial, 1,2,3 and 4 minutes and the time when the motor was no longer generating enough lift that it would be able to carry the heli. I compared stock V911 motor, stock Y911 (yellow) and V911 with SP720 replacement.
Unfortunately, I don't currently have any working Bravo SX motors to test.

I used a 130mAH fully charged battery for all the tests.
I ran full throttle the entire test.
(would be interesting to do a test where the throttle was set to the weight of the heli and time it - but that would require a lot of effort).
All three helis have Extreme Delrin main gears. The SP70 is by far the quietest.
It spins by hand silently and many more turns than either of the others.
Note these tests were performed on a kitchen counter, so the heicopters were in ground effect.

I did try to record the Blue/White with SP270 motor's lift out of ground effect by tying a 3 foot string between the wrench and the heli. This proved extremely difficult as the string's pull made the heli terribly negatively stable. I had to hold the heli gently above the scale.
For the record, it created about 5g of lift or about 20% of the helis mass. Shows why a gram gained or lost makes a big difference in real life performance!

I have read in various places that adding external high powered magnets to the shell of a motor will dramatically increase it's power. I have some amazingly powerful magnets and just for fun I tested using them - one on each side of the motor can. As you can see, they added 1.9g to the heli's weight, and decreased the motor's thrust significantly. I think this should put this myth to bed.

It is interesting that while the SP270 objectively looks the best, subjectively (while flying), it seemed to lack the oomf of the other motors. I had added a drop of oil to the bearing before the test and that seemed to help in both the test and subsequent flight experiences.
Maybe it's the extra gram and a half of LEDs that ruins it's feel.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totse View Post
The two white v911 i bought just arrived.

Yes. They are different than the yellow one.

To be honest..I think the white one flew better out of the box..I felt like it was much easier to control.
The both hover about the same..but when I did a little zoom around my small room i felt like I had slightly better control of the white one.
If anyone is interested..I can try to post a couple pictures when I get back home.

I can confirm..the yellow one must be from a different company.
But i've been flying mine for a good week..at least 2 flights a day...and the motors are going fine.
I just broke the legs on the landing skid
Judging from the few photos on the BG site, the white seems mechanically identical to my yellow, down to the date on the board.

Is it possible the difference in flight characteristics is due to manufacture variance rather than difference in design or components?
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter