SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:51 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,648 Posts
The 3mm and 5mm have focus beam so they can be pretty bright. In that case, I agree with your statement.

The smd LED are nice because they are light weight and have very good wide angle.

All our get togethers here in San Diego are at night at the park. (Kids are down so the guys can be kids again. ;D) We still fly it hard and as fast as we can...and the LED does wonders for orientation. Even with the full baseball diamond lights on to illuminate the field. Just my personal experience.

Cheers-

P.S. Often times, at night...without the thermals...it's much more calm for outdoor flight. Just gotta contend with the poor visability.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:13 PM
Italy, Tuscany, Follonica
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
For those that also want to add leds to their aircraft, dx.com has a good selection of smd leds and cheap resistors. I just bought 200 leds (red, blue, yellow, white, 50 of each) and a selection of 400 resistors for about $12.
And banggood even has a package of 2500 resistors for $14 but they don't sell smd leds.
I would like a flashing LED SMD are for sale?
enea 54 is offline Find More Posts by enea 54
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:29 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enea 54 View Post
I would like a flashing LED SMD are for sale?
Don't buy too many flashing LEDs. Looks cute on the ground, but flying in the dark with high beam and no beam on and off twice a second will blind you.

Even alternate blinking red/blue will drive you nuts making orientation very hard.

Hardest part with my night flying is finding a place dark enough. Lights on the horizon interfere with helicopter lights.

And take some duct tape along to cover the LCD screen on the V911 stock transmitter.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Don't buy too many flashing LEDs. Looks cute on the ground, but flying in the dark with high beam and no beam on and off twice a second will blind you.

Even alternate blinking red/blue will drive you nuts making orientation very hard.

Hardest part with my night flying is finding a place dark enough. Lights on the horizon interfere with helicopter lights.

And take some duct tape along to cover the LCD screen on the V911 stock transmitter.
I wanted one for v911 tail, I put red SMD stable and I wanted to put the red and green navigation lights, but two
equal confuse
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,648 Posts
Yea, I have only my tail flashing. One white 805 in the canopy to light up the canopy. 0603 smd red/green for each side. And a 0603 white flashing for the rear.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Yea, I have only my tail flashing. One white 805 in the canopy to light up the canopy. 0603 smd red/green for each side. And a 0603 white flashing for the rear.
oh yes I also want to do smd flashing where to buy them?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:07 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Oh man, I just noticed that the leds I ordered are even -tinier- D:
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:21 PM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
Oh man, I just noticed that the leds I ordered are even -tinier- D:
0805 is the minimum size i can work with

For "first timers" with SMD LED i recommend 1206 size diodes and resistors !
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
62 Posts
Instead of charging the batteries from the transmitter, or instead of charging the batteries with the USB plug to my computer, do you guys think it would be okay to charge the batteries with the USB cable into a wall USB adapter? Like a Samsung Phone charger, but take out the phone cable and insert the heli cable. I tried it for 10 seconds and plugged in the batteries. The lights turned on, so I know it works. It's just the voltage I'm scared will hurt the batteries. Any ideas? Thanks- Max
maxs0201 is offline Find More Posts by maxs0201
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:19 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxs0201 View Post
Instead of charging the batteries from the transmitter, or instead of charging the batteries with the USB plug to my computer, do you guys think it would be okay to charge the batteries with the USB cable into a wall USB adapter? Like a Samsung Phone charger, but take out the phone cable and insert the heli cable. I tried it for 10 seconds and plugged in the batteries. The lights turned on, so I know it works. It's just the voltage I'm scared will hurt the batteries. Any ideas? Thanks- Max
Perfectly fine ... I use one all the time. You can get them off Amazon for a few bucks. The USB adapter puts out the same voltage as the USB port on a computer. It just uses 120vac from a wall outlet ... otherwise the DC output is the same.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2007
48 Posts
Quote:
It will work just fine. I have been plugging mine into my iphone charging block since I got it several months ago and it works fine.
dway is offline Find More Posts by dway
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
That is the only way I charge because my computer doesn't supply enough USB power. It takes a long time to charge them off the computer. My wall/phone charger only takes a fraction of the time. I believe some Mac's and newer PC's supply the higher current over USB so they would probably be faster as well.

Voltage is the same, USB only supplies 5 volts, it's in the spec. It's the amount of current that changes and that is negotiated by the devices.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:40 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,105 Posts
How is Banggood with shipping? Is it just like it sounds.....a slow boat from China?
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:49 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
How is Banggood with shipping? Is it just like it sounds.....a slow boat from China?
As far as my personal experience goes: YES!!

(practically never got anything from them in less than 3weeks ... most times more than that ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
With Bangood allow two weeks, sometimes a day or two sooner, sometimes a day or two later. I live on the East Coast if that makes a difference. I've always had good luck with them. Just got two more V911's in from them today. That makes 6 LOL. One of them is going to my son. I have no idea how many hrs or flights is on my first one and I'm still flying it. I havent oiled it, repaired anything, not even replaced the blades and I'm an inexperienced pilot. Buying the FSTH9X does make it a little better,other than that, no mods. I bought two yellow ones and I'm flying one of them some. Cant tell you how many expensive micro heli's I have. They're just shelf queens. I'll get one out every now and then and struggle with it in my small place indoors, just makes me appreciate the V911 that much more.
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton