HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post



Well, I couldn't wait this morning and put a little 120mAh 14C battery into the V911 (the only thing I had charged) to do an initial flight test. The heli hovered pretty well and I didn't see any immediate instability or excess vibration, so I'm pretty excited that maybe this flybar is going to work out!

I'll charge up my Nanotechs this evening and fly a few to see how it performs indoors. The real test, however, is going to be this weekend (3 day weekend!!!) when I go outdoors and really put this thing through its paces.
SUCCESS!!!!

Behold the greatness that is my paddled flybar. Yeeeeesssssssss!!!!!!

There's a reason why I'm so excited tonight. I just had a FANTASTIC first real flight of my new paddled flybar! It worked darn near perfectly (as far as I could tell) and the heli flew really well!


I first flew my blue V911 (stock) to "prime" myself to what a stock heli feels like. It flew just fine and all was good.

Then I donned safety glasses and spooled up my black V911 with the custom flybar I made last night. (Hey, if those paddles come undone, I want to protect my eyes, you know?) However, I didn't need to worry. Those paddles are jammed on there really well and the extra glue on the outside probably is superfluous at this point--but it's there.

First, I hovered. It hovered really well though I did notice a bit of drift. If anything, I may have introduced a very slight wobble into it, but it was so small it might have been my imagination just looking for a problem. It was more than manageable and I did hands-free hovering (needed a click or 2 of left aileron trim).

Then I did some tight circuits, piros, and nose-in funnels. I think that the paddles help make it a bit zippier and allow it to turn tighter.

I then did some full-forward elevator accelerations (rapidly stopping before I hit the wall) and I swear this heli drops its nose further than my blue one did. However, the only way to know for sure is to put the flybar on the blue heli and try it out there.

So, yeah, I think that this is currently a preliminary success. The real proof will be when I take it outdoors and see how it handles the wind, but so far I'm pretty jazzed by it all. More testing will happen this week. Oh yes...so much testing.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
I was bored, so I added some bling and painted an old canopy to match the new SP260 blades.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:46 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
10,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
I was bored, so I added some bling and painted an old canopy to match the new SP260 blades.
AND??? does it FLY better now?
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
Registered User
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
Looks good! Bangood just sent me an EMail advertising the white ones for $19.98. You sure have made it tempting!
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
gordonzo's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Got my yellow V911 BNF and I have to say this is a really nice heli, especially for $20! It is super stable and predictable. It flys and sounds slightly different from the regular V911 model. And on a quick comparison I noticed subtle differences such as the pcb, lower frame & skids.

It binds easily and works well with both the V911 tx and V929 transmitters. I found it easiest to just plug in the battery and then quickly flip on the tx switch.

So far, indoors I prefer it with the V929 tx on 40% or 60%. I have not yet flown it in the wind.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:16 AM
My Corter Is Borken
United States, OH, Newark
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Well, I don't know about the stock firmware and whether you can use them.

However, if you install er9x firmware on your FSTH9x AND then go download Daryoon's er9x settings for V911 you have access to the trimpots to "dial" in your dual rates!!! It's reeeeally cool. But you need er9x for that.

Oh, did I mention that you can load/save your er9x model settings to/from your PC over a USB port? You can program your transmitter on the PC using a really cool graphical program called eepc? That you can swap and share model settings for your er9x firmware by saving them to a file and uploading to them here or downloading someone else's?

DID I MENTION HOW FREAKIN' COOL ER9X IS ON THE TURNIGY 9X OR FSTH9X?!?!?!?!

You guys seriously need to try it. Seriously.


(Somebody hose me off...)
Sounds great, unless you have the stock firmware. lol
Anyone know whether or not the knobs are useless with the stock firmware? I can't imagine they are. Or the switches, for that matter.

*MC808 hoses the goo off RoboHeli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
I was bored, so I added some bling and painted an old canopy to match the new SP260 blades.
How does that heavy metal bling perform?
MC808 is offline Find More Posts by MC808
Last edited by MC808; Aug 29, 2012 at 02:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:50 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
SUCCESS!!!!

Behold the greatness that is my paddled flybar. Yeeeeesssssssss!!!!!!

There's a reason why I'm so excited tonight. I just had a FANTASTIC first real flight of my new paddled flybar! It worked darn near perfectly (as far as I could tell) and the heli flew really well!


I first flew my blue V911 (stock) to "prime" myself to what a stock heli feels like. It flew just fine and all was good.

Then I donned safety glasses and spooled up my black V911 with the custom flybar I made last night. (Hey, if those paddles come undone, I want to protect my eyes, you know?) However, I didn't need to worry. Those paddles are jammed on there really well and the extra glue on the outside probably is superfluous at this point--but it's there.

First, I hovered. It hovered really well though I did notice a bit of drift. If anything, I may have introduced a very slight wobble into it, but it was so small it might have been my imagination just looking for a problem. It was more than manageable and I did hands-free hovering (needed a click or 2 of left aileron trim).

Then I did some tight circuits, piros, and nose-in funnels. I think that the paddles help make it a bit zippier and allow it to turn tighter.

I then did some full-forward elevator accelerations (rapidly stopping before I hit the wall) and I swear this heli drops its nose further than my blue one did. However, the only way to know for sure is to put the flybar on the blue heli and try it out there.

So, yeah, I think that this is currently a preliminary success. The real proof will be when I take it outdoors and see how it handles the wind, but so far I'm pretty jazzed by it all. More testing will happen this week. Oh yes...so much testing.
Welcome to the Daaaaaaark Side of the Foooooooooorce.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:36 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
can you set up the turnigy 9x to display while flying eg: rudder, ail ,elevator like other tx do?
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
Registered User
cgpirre's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
I think it's possible yes, there is a 'display' option somewhere hidden in the menu that shows output for all channels.
If you use er9x you can just press arrow up or down to change the display, you can choose between visual output, bars, or numbers.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
can you set up the turnigy 9x to display while flying eg: rudder, ail ,elevator like other tx do?
Here's where you can download the Turnigy 9x (and other compatible TX) manuals:

http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/07/turnigy-9x-manuals/

good luck with the poor English, but I think you should be able to identify where the "monitor" (or equivalent) functionality can be found.

I only had my stock firmware for a few weeks so I never had a chance to really get used to it before I flashed it to er9x...
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
AND??? does it FLY better now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC808 View Post

How does that heavy metal bling perform?
Well.......... it sure does LOOK pretty. The "bling" only adds about a gram I think overall (The al. Main shaft is about 1g lighter then stock) Had to do some minor modding with the connectors to make the head work. I do like the way the SP blades look though. Flys about the same. Maybe a little more presise movement. Also a drop in flight time, but there was some resistance the first few flights. Seems to be loosening up now. Maybe just needs to ne broken in a little?
The canopy I just did real quick as a test. I think I'm gonna sit down when I get some time and do one up properly with some stripes and a nice color scheme.

On another topic: Anyone order a Helios 100 yet? I'm curious to compare it to the V911. I almost ordered one last night.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Clockwise means tail motor is going at 100%. Which suggest FET or possibly gyro.
Great - well looks like another BNF. Hummm maybe a V929 instead???
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:27 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
On another topic: Anyone order a Helios 100 yet? I'm curious to compare it to the V911. I almost ordered one last night.
On a similar note, anybody order a Helios 100 flybar to see if they can make it fit on their V911 yet?
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
Don't Drink & Fly
TapouT21's Avatar
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
On a similar note, anybody order a Helios 100 flybar to see if they can make it fit on their V911 yet?
I am going to order the flybar today and also a helios rotor head, screw set, plus who knows what else. Considered ordering the heli but probably will wait.
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Registered User
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
On a similar note, anybody order a Helios 100 flybar to see if they can make it fit on their V911 yet?
I pre-ordered a few on 8/14 - BG says they shipped today. I've been having fun with my MSR paddles on the stock bar, but wow is it a different flying experience. Wicked maneuverability, but reverse input is almost always necessary in short order It's fun balancing the throttle/elevator/just a hair of left aileron for crazy FFF!

I can't wait to try the prefab Helios bars, though. Hopefully a little sanding here, dab of lube there, will be all that's needed to drop them in. Someone else mentioned that the ball links appear a bit large, but I'll see what I can do when they get here.
JayDoc is offline Find More Posts by JayDoc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Jiuchon 9C002, a Solo Pro clone? SoloProFan Micro Helis 103 Feb 29, 2012 03:24 PM
Discussion Interesting Solo Pro? Clone gordonzo Micro Helis 46 Nov 30, 2011 04:15 AM
Question Which 100 sized heli after Solo Pro? Tuc Micro Helis 16 Jun 13, 2011 02:52 PM
Sold $100 !NEW ARF Storm 250 (Trex Clone) With Align Upgrades, Tons of Extras! $100!! RChelisrule Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 May 31, 2011 01:26 AM