HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
My Corter Is Borken
United States, OH, Newark
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
I'm not an aeronautical engineer, but I believe that's the 45 degree flybar self stabilizing action kicking in. You've deflected it, now it tries to get back to normal.
If you examine the linkages, the flybar has more leverage on the pitch of the main blades than the servos.

It is my belief that the paddle "upgrade" works by destabilizing the self stabilization.
It does not work as on a conventional 90 degree setup where you change the pitch of the paddles, which cause a pitch change in the main rotor.

I believe - that since they are kinda close to alignment with the main blade (actually less than 45 degrees), the tilt in the main blade causes a tilt in the paddle, thus causing it to pitch the same way as the blade - contributing to it's tilt, instead of it's normal action of opposing it.

I haven't figured out how it doesn't seem to destroy the hovering stabilization aspect of the 45 degree setup.

Anyone who knows/understands have a better theory?
I think you're exactly correct.
MC808 is offline Find More Posts by MC808
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
In my experience the 9958 needs full servo throw (100% DR) because you need to be able to pull back hard if you need to avoid a collision with something. However, the expo is definitely helpful for taming it. That way you can do your small stick motions as needed and it won't translate into big motions on the heli. Also keep 100% on the rudder no matter what you do since it's the slowest turner of all of the helis I have.

(Sorry to keep talking about the 9958 in the V911 thread...)

The V911, on the other hand, is just fine with less expo. Also 100% D/R but I do dial back the rudder a little bit so that piros are a little slower.
Yeah, I don't want to lose servo throw, I just want to reduce twitchyness. So if I understand correctly, I need to have full DR but play with the expo?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC808 View Post
Yeah, I don't want to lose servo throw, I just want to reduce twitchyness. So if I understand correctly, I need to have full DR but play with the expo?
For which heli? The V911? Yeah, giving yourself positive expo on elev/aile will help reduce twichiness around the center of the stick. Full servo throw == full DR.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
40 Posts
I also soldered on a mini just connector to use turnigy nonotech batteries.
After flying, the motor is slight hot. (When I checked its temperature, it was about 40C)

Because I ordered a BNF heli, I have no stock batteries to compare with turnigy batteries.

I placed another order for a new BNF heli.
(Not sure, but it'll take more than two weeks to receive it.)
I think that if the new heli gives the same flight time, the reason of low flight time should be battery problems.
I also placed an order for 10 of turnigy nanotech 160mAh.
I'll compare new batteries with old ones.

As I reported, my v911 consumes 1.7A for hovering, which is quite huge.
When I discharge the turnigy nanotech battery for test using accel-6, the voltage drop is huge with 1A discharing current. Voltage is over 3.5V during the first 5 sec, then it becomes 3.4~3.5V. Then, it is slowly decreasing. For each minute, the voltage drop is additionally 0.1V. Roughly the voltage becomes 3.0V after 5min test.

This is just my hypothesis.
I could not check discharging curve of v911 stock battery, but maybe its performance is better than turnigy nanotech in terms of voltage drop while providing the same current. For example, its voltage keeps around 3.4V ~ 3.5V for 5mins.
For turnigy batteries, it does not maintain the voltage during discharging. After 'x' min, its voltage is additionally dropped. Because of this voltage drop, the speed of the motor is also decreasing. So, the heli requires more current to hover it. Then, the voltage drop is more, and again.
This is just my hypothesis. I'll check it using new turnigy batteries and a new BNF heli.
harmony is offline Find More Posts by harmony
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:26 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,354 Posts
Just killed my last copter. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.
Have parts on the way but this is just the pits. All it does is spin clockwise.
Tail motor? It is spinning but right aileron is full up trying to correct.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
When was the last time anyone flew with stock 120mah batteries! They stopped making 120mah V911 stock batteries nine months ago.
Last night. Got mt RTF V911 last month. Came with new TX and 120mah batteries. I'll get a solid 5-6 min flight out of them. Always cool off before charging. Stock charger. Just my experiences.
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
I also placed an order for 10 of turnigy nanotech 160mAh.
I'll compare new batteries with old ones.

As I reported, my v911 consumes 1.7A for hovering
"Turnigy nano-tech 130mah 1S 25C Lipo Pack (Nine Eagles style - T2 Twin Rail for older models)"
The above gave about 50% of the flight time of V911 stock 130mah batteries, but if you land (or crash), the nano-tech batteries recover and gave good performance a little while longer. Presumably could get 130mah out of them at a much reduced current.

V911 Notes: Measured with V911 LiPo battery direct to motor. Rickster (I think) did the stall current measurements.
Tail motor Red (+) Blue (-) Battery 3.89v (I think no-load voltage)
Tail motor no blade = 51ma
Tail motor with blade = 750ma
Tail motor stalled = 1100ma

Main motor with blades = 1100ma
Main motor stalled = 2200ma
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 28, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:57 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Just killed my last copter. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.
Have parts on the way but this is just the pits. All it does is spin clockwise.
Tail motor? It is spinning but right aileron is full up trying to correct.
Clockwise means tail motor is going at 100%. Which suggest FET or possibly gyro.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Kid View Post
Last night. Got mt RTF V911 last month. Came with new TX and 120mah batteries.
What numbers are on your "120mah V911 stock batteries". Many vendors are still selling them, but deliver 130mah because they don't know what they are selling.

Post a picture for V911 archives as the last 120mah stock battery.

TC531131 = 120mah 15C 37x12x6mm 3.94g
TC531136 = 130mah 42x12x6mm 4.55g
UC531136 = 130mah 4.4g
TC551136V = 145mah 4.38g
TC551140 = 150mah 25C/50C
TC551140T = 150mah 25C/50C 47x12x6mm 4.90g
TC551140V = 150mah 25C/50C 47x12x6mm 4.90g
601235P = 150mah
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Roboheli, yeah V911, sorry for not clarifying. Thanks for the info.

Makdaddy, welcome to the club of Borken Corters.

A warning to those ordering from cenn2010 off of ebay: Tread Cautiously! Received a bad heli, was offered a $10 replacement 5 days ago, haven't heard from them since. After numerous attempts at contacting them, I've told them I want nothing to do with them anymore and want a refund. We'll see how long it takes before I have to get ebay involved with getting my money back.
I mention this in this thread only because cenn2010 was mentioned before. Btw, they are clearly affiliated with banggood.
Last edited by MC808; Aug 28, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
What numbers are on your "120mah V911 stock batteries". Many vendors are still selling them, but deliver 130mah because they don't know what they are selling.
Sorry, can't read the numbers, they've been partially rubbed away from use
I can however see the first two characters and they are "UC" which would make them 130mah.
So I guess last night was not the last time someone flew 120mah batts
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Last edited by Big_Kid; Aug 28, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Kid View Post
Sorry, can't read the numbers, they've been partially rubbed away from use
I have maybe 40 like that. The numbers are long gone, Now I wrap Scotch tape lengthwise to preserve the numbers. Also helps stop puncture from hard landings.

Normally I write a date on everything to see how long my toys survive my pilot skills, or lack thereof.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Anyone else's batteries get beat up and dinged badly from the most in-nocuous crashes, and even landings? A couple of mine look like they're close to becoming perforated, which will be a bad thing. lol

EDIT: Just read Ribble's post above mine, and...lol he's sort of killed two birds with one..battery.
I'm thinking electrical tape and a white paint pen?

GEEZUS!? 40!? lol

On the topic of the FSTH9x: To what extent are all the knobs and switches able to be brought in as controls? It's got trim buttons, as you'd expect, so I'm not looking for that. It'd be cool to use a knob to adjust expo or throw, a switch for different setups, etc... I've not seen much talk on this subject.
Last edited by MC808; Aug 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Some guy was working on that. It's definitely a complex DIY electronics project. Check it out here:

neTX - Nine Eagles SoloPro TX module
you would think that the chineese would be producing modules for all different protocalls, I think I would transplant a 911 rx into a sp rather than all that high tech work. I would like to put a 911 rx into my 328 but i'm sure the motors would blow out the board.
tonyteswter
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:13 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC808 View Post
On the topic of the FSTH9x: To what extent are all the knobs and switches able to be brought in as controls? It's got trim buttons, as you'd expect, so I'm not looking for that. It'd be cool to use a knob to adjust expo or throw, a switch for different setups, etc... I've not seen much talk on this subject.
Well, I don't know about the stock firmware and whether you can use them.

However, if you install er9x firmware on your FSTH9x AND then go download Daryoon's er9x settings for V911 you have access to the trimpots to "dial" in your dual rates!!! It's reeeeally cool. But you need er9x for that.

Oh, did I mention that you can load/save your er9x model settings to/from your PC over a USB port? You can program your transmitter on the PC using a really cool graphical program called eepc? That you can swap and share model settings for your er9x firmware by saving them to a file and uploading to them here or downloading someone else's?

DID I MENTION HOW FREAKIN' COOL ER9X IS ON THE TURNIGY 9X OR FSTH9X?!?!?!?!

You guys seriously need to try it. Seriously.

(Somebody hose me off...)
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member