HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:15 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDoc View Post
Does the performance justify modding, or is it more for convenience of already-owned batteries? (personally, I just like modding things just to do it...)

I now have a TON of various 'v911' style batteries, and it may be easier to just buy a few more chargers for them.
For me, it's the convenience of already-owned batteries and the fact that I have two Celectra 4-port chargers (E-Flite style) and a ThunderPower AC6 smart charger with a 6-port parallel charger for EFlite-style batteries. I like to keep all of my batteries at storage charge when I'm not using them and that means popping them on the AC6. I only own two V911 batteries as those were the ones that came with my first RTF. I got a BNF after that and I've only been buying parts since.

I'd consider using those batteries more but I have no easy way to attach them to my AC6. I tried Daryoon's clothespin battery clip mod but my first one worked out terribly. I don't have the right screws for it. Also, do you know how hard it is to find clothespins anymore? I got some cheap ones from Amazon, but they're reeeeeeally cheap and they flex when I tried to clip them to my V911 and TRex batteries so I couldn't get a clean connection...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
For me, it's the convenience of already-owned batteries and the fact that I have two Celectra 4-port chargers (E-Flite style) and a ThunderPower AC6 smart charger with a 6-port parallel charger for EFlite-style batteries. I like to keep all of my batteries at storage charge when I'm not using them and that means popping them on the AC6. I only own two V911 batteries as those were the ones that came with my first RTF. I got a BNF after that and I've only been buying parts since.

I'd consider using those batteries more but I have no easy way to attach them to my AC6. I tried Daryoon's clothespin battery clip mod but my first one worked out terribly. I don't have the right screws for it. Also, do you know how hard it is to find clothespins anymore? I got some cheap ones from Amazon, but they're reeeeeeally cheap and they flex when I tried to clip them to my V911 and TRex batteries so I couldn't get a clean connection...
I had luck with just using the alligator clips on my B6 lipo charger.Charges in 6 minutes or so
Jasen40 is offline Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:47 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
Ok. I can't argue with success, but this whole flybar thing really has me puzzled.
Balr14 calls the rotating flybar a solid disk.

Just for fun I reversed both rocker arms which put the flybar on the short end and swashplate on the long end. Gave flybar about 4 times as much control and very stable. Until it broke a blade ... end of experiment.

A while back, someone put something under the flybar pivot to keep the weights from moving below the pivot. Don't remember the results. A small wire wrapped around the flybar pivot should do the same thing.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 28, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40 View Post
I had luck with just using the alligator clips on my B6 lipo charger.Charges in 6 minutes or so
Hmmm.. alligator clips huh? I've got some of those as part of my A6 kit. Seems like I'd risk shorting the battery if I wasn't careful how I attached them. I'll try them out though.

6 min? At what C rating are you charging? That seems WAAAAY to fast to be safe or healthy for the battery.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Aug 28, 2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added quote.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure there are people more expert than me on the topic of batteries, but...

Charging any rechargeable at 10C is just begging for trouble.
Certainly do not leave it unattended.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
New to RC hobby
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstadam2k View Post
Thanks for the heads up will try it when i get my check.
Try this one instead http://us.aliexpress.com/snapshot/20...Redirect=false

This is what I ordered, $7.20 instead of $8.55, and you get two batteries as well.
mvadu is offline Find More Posts by mvadu
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadu View Post
Try this one instead http://us.aliexpress.com/snapshot/20...Redirect=false

This is what I ordered, $7.20 instead of $8.55, and you get two batteries as well.
$6.84 now....Just placed my order
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm.. alligator clips huh? I've got some of those as part of my A6 kit. Seems like I'd risk shorting the battery if I wasn't careful how I attached them. I'll try them out though.

6 min? At what C rating are you charging? That seems WAAAAY to fast to be safe or healthy for the battery.
I have been using 300ma to charge them.I use the usb charger most of the time.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,875 Posts
Quote:
I have been using 300ma to charge them.I use the usb charger most of the time.
Huh. Well, 300ma is about 2.3C or so (these are the 130mAhs, right?). How far are you discharging them? 6 minutes just doesn't seem right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
turnigy nanotech 160mah and 130mah batteries.
- flight time: 2min 30sec

I heard that flight time of stock 120mAh battery is around 6~8mins.
That is about what I get on good V911 helicopters (motors are good).

Turnigy nanotech 160mah and 130mah batteries, maybe 4 minutes and 3 minutes
Stock V911 130mah batteries about 5 minutes hard flying.
Stock V911 150mah batteries about 6 or 7 minutes hard flying.

Get some stock batteries.

When was the last time anyone flew with stock 120mah batteries! They stopped making 120mah V911 stock batteries nine months ago.

TC531131 = 120mah - KK07 = 2011/11/07
TC531131 = 120mah - KL15 = 2011/12/15

Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 28, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,875 Posts
Interesting. My experience with Turnigy Nano-Tech 160s (E-Flite plugs) is at least 5 minutes but I never push it beyond that. I always land with power to spare.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
thanks

[QUOTE=Daryoon;22573176]Depends. Putting some heli will go into bind mode if it doesn't see the TX. For the v911, v929 and 9958, it has a brief period it looks for a TX in bind mode. Most newbies will miss that window.

So the surest way is to put the T9x into bind mode first. Then plug the battery into the heli. You will see the LED change from a rapid blink to slow blink within a sec or two. That signifies that the two has paired up. Now, the T9x needs it's power cycled to kick it out of bind mode. However, it's unsafe to power off the TX without powering off the heli first, so it's advisable to cycle power to both.

Turn on the TX first, then insert battery. The heli will reconnect to the TX it last bound to.

It's a very easy process. I try to dilute the steps so it's foolproof. If you're still haven't issues, then it's likely an issue elsewhere.

Flashing fast, then stop, then flashes medium means the T9x isn't in bind mode.

To put the T9x in bind mode:
  1. T9x off.
  2. Hold bind button on the back as you turn on the power to the TX.
  3. Let go of the bind button once you see the info on the LCD screen.

I didn't know about the bind mode. well any way I bound up all 4 of my 911s and if the wind stops tommorrow morning I will be in the air. I spun up each one and checked the cyclic controls and can't wait.
thanks again
tonytester
is there another module for the sp 270 and 328????? available?
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Huh. Well, 300ma is about 2.3C or so (these are the 130mAhs, right?). How far are you discharging them? 6 minutes just doesn't seem right.
When I stick them on the charger they about 3.3-4 volts, and fully charged are reading 4.2 volts.
I do see your point about the high current. I will start charging at 150ma for the new 150 batteries I just received.When I I have time,I going to build clothes pen adapter.Instead of screws, I have a cable that is jst on one end and Tamiya on the other end.I removed the plastic connector and squeezed the metal pins flat.I am going to glue the strips to the clothes pin. The metal strips are a perfect match for the battery connectors.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,875 Posts
Quote:
When I stick them on the charger they about 3.3-4 volts, and fully charged are reading 4.2 volts.
I do see your point about the high current. I will start charging at 150ma for the new 150 batteries I just received.When I I have time,I going to build clothes pen adapter.Instead of screws, I have a cable that is jst on one end and Tamiya on the other end.I removed the plastic connector and squeezed the metal pins flat.I am going to glue the strips to the clothes pin. The metal strips are a perfect match for the battery connectors.
Cool! I'd like to see pictures when you finish that contraption.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
is there another module for the sp 270 and 328????? available?
Some guy was working on that. It's definitely a complex DIY electronics project. Check it out here:

neTX - Nine Eagles SoloPro TX module
RCG Plus Member