SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:27 AM
"Lurker"
Alabama
Joined May 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
I got my new yellow V911 to bind to my new FS9X. No luck so far. The controls are binding but no power to the motor. Thought I might have a lemon so I got my 2nd one out and ditto. I'm sure its something I'm overlooking, any recomendations?

Since you have everything but the throttle working, trying reversing it and putting in tons of negative trim.

I had issues binding too....

Make sure all your switches are in the up position.

I had to reverse elevator.
Throttle Trim is at - 65.
Elevator is at +2

It took me several times to get it to bind.
Hold button on back and turn on radio. plug in battery to heli. If it blinks fast then goes to slow but not solid, turn radio off then back on and see if it binds.

If not, unplug battery & turn radio off. Turn radio on and quickly plug battery in. Wait to see if it binds. If not, unplug battery but leave radio on. Wait again to see if it does.

If not, unplug battery turn radio off. Plug battery in then turn on radio.

I kept doing this until I got it to bind. Once I finally did, I wasn't all pissy due to the frustration.

If you do this for a half hour or so, then you have to go in and reverse some of the controls and see if that is what is causing it. As I said in the beginning, I had to reverse my elevator and put in A LOT of negative trim (all 4 of mine I've had to reverse one thing or another and I don't think any of them are the same.)

You'll get it eventually. I know it's frustrating as $^&*(#^$^&*, but have patience and keep trying.

Since you have everything but the throttle working, trying reversing it and putting in tons of negative trim.
Mag718 is offline Find More Posts by Mag718
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
My Corter Is Borken
United States, OH, Newark
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40 View Post
Bummer it sucks when wait for something and its broke out of the box
Tell me about it. I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for all this.

With one broken heli I too only got controls but no throttle, I'm at a loss what to do.
MC808 is offline Find More Posts by MC808
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:26 AM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC808 View Post
Tell me about it. I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for all this.

With one broken heli I too only got controls but no throttle, I'm at a loss what to do.
I know what you can do................. Send me the 9x so it can get some use. That pretty TX needs a heli to complete it.

* Well I got rough and had 0 flybar strikes with the braided fishing line coated in CA glue on the flybar. It was flying funny (was in good wind though) and I was thinking it was the extreme production blades, but when I landed I seen a ball had come unscrewed from the Al. swash and on the links was just hanging there. I am going to locktite the balls in and take the two unused ones off for spares. The flybar still has flex and isnt solid, which should help from breaking, but it is stiff enough to stop flybar strikes.
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Last edited by TapouT21; Aug 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
New to RC hobby
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadu View Post
Well, it was little too late y'day , I mistook 662K as transistor. Today I went through the PCB traces again, and came up with a schema. Good news is they are using a 3.3V LDO XC6206P662K

The higher voltage line is connected to only these things:
1. 5.7V charging circuit (when I checked my batteries were at 7.9 volt, 5 alkaline batteries, one NiMh, so actual charging voltage may be different)
2. Speaker via 47Ω
3. Low battery voltage sensing pin of the main chip through a voltage divider 22k & 10kΩ
4. 3.3V LDO through two diodes each giving 0.8V drop. May be to coupe up with low input range of LDO
5. V Shaped LED's

So if we can manage to get proper transistors for voltage deviders for sensing circuit, and live with no speaker, we can drive this whole Tx with just 3 batteries, and probably get better battery life as less waste.
Success!! Today I took out two diodes used to drop input voltage down to safe levels for LDO, replaced 20K in the voltage devider with 7.5K resitor, and changed the supply line to use 4 batteries instead of 6! Now it works like charm with just 4 NiMh cells, so far no issues. I will check to see when the batteries go down if my resistor calculations are correct.

Btw, I have older version of Tx, which does not beep when supply voltage is below xV. If someone with newer Tx interested, I can post pictures of the mod, and they can try it out if the low voltage beep works.
mvadu is offline Find More Posts by mvadu
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:21 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
V911 Newer Version Transmitter Hack Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadu View Post
Success!! Today I took out two diodes used to drop input voltage down to safe levels for LDO, replaced 20K in the voltage devider with 7.5K resitor, and changed the supply line to use 4 batteries instead of 6! Now it works like charm with just 4 NiMh cells, so far no issues. I will check to see when the batteries go down if my resistor calculations are correct.

Btw, I have older version of Tx, which does not beep when supply voltage is below xV. If someone with newer Tx interested, I can post pictures of the mod, and they can try it out if the low voltage beep works.
Yes, I'll give that a try on a newer V911 transmitter since I use NiMh AA cells with lower 1.2 volts and do not use the battery charger cable coming out the back.

As I recall, the transmitter draws 70ma with six NiMh AA batteries. Will take current measurements during changes.

Plan to make the LCD backlight only come on when rate button is held down, and also plan to kill some red LEDs. Too much light for night flying. Once I cut one trace, it won't be so hard to cut a lot of traces. And I already have a newer version transmitter in pieces (somewhere) and another spare in case I get sloppy.

May as well do a range check before and after too. Changes should not decrease range since the RF module with 20db amplifier use the 3.3 volt bus.
---

Newer version V911 transmitter (with reduced rudder)
JR-WL-4CH01T Rev:01 12.02.12 (on stick side of main PCB)
JR-WL-4CH01KEY 12.02.12 (on rate mode pushbutton break-off PCB) <==== EASY ID OF BUILD DATE ====
JR-WL-4CH01LED 11.09.02 (on 5 red LED PCB)

Transmitter stops working at 5.15v, fast chirping like a gear grinding from transmitter and helicopter drops out of the sky.

Three diodes (D1, D2, D4) from Vcc (7.61v) to 3v LDO regulator Vin = 5.13v and Vout = 3.311v

Battery = 7.61v = 6x NiMh LSD 1.2v 2200mah AA cells
76.1ma = Normal LCD off
92.5ma = Normal LCD on
100ma = Normal Beeping
33.1ma = Current into 3.3v voltage regulator Vin = 5.13v ... RF Input power ~ 3.311v x 33.1ma = 110mw (about 20dbm)
13.1ma = 5 Red LEDs Vf = 1.817v

After putting red LEDs in series with 3.3v voltage regulator Vin = 5.75v (gained 0.62v)
64.0ma = Normal LCD off
82.5ma = Normal LCD on - Modified to only backlight when Rate button is held down (for night flying)

R7 = 10k, R8 = 22k, C12 Voltage divider Main IC U2 Pin 17 = 2.389v (about 1.62v should be TX cut-off)

Rudder Potentiometer = "8510"
Throttle, Aileron, Elevator Potentiometers = "502"

RF coaxial cable length = 67mm = 3/4 wavelength
RF antenna length = 31mm = 1/4 wavelength
RF antenna = 1/2 wavelength Coaxial Dipole
RF coaxial cable propagation factor = (67) / (31x3) = 72% ... (72% speed of light)

Was pushing my luck with all the probing and testing, so decided to put this V911 transmitter back together again and make sure it still works. LCD back-lighting now comes on when rate pushbutton is held down (also changes rates when released) and the wasted power from the 5 red LEDs now used to drop voltage to the 3.3v regulator (replaced the 3 diode voltage drop). This transmitter now used for flying and the one I had been using will be hacked.

---

Shorted the resistors on the five front parallel red LEDs then used those parallel LEDs to replace the three forward biased diodes that feed the 3.3v regulator.
---

The LCD backlight is connected to the main PCB by two wires, something like +LED and -LED. The -LED is pulled down to ground through a low value resistor by a transistor to turn backlighting on.

I cut the trace between "low value resistor" and the driving transistor. Then soldered wire from resistor to hot side of rate switch so that rate switch pulls the -LED to ground through the resistor in place of the now isolated transistor. Hot side of rate switch only goes to a pull-up resistor, something like 1K, and now also the LCD backlight resistor.

Rate switch still works fine except after pushing to light up LCD backlight, I have to push the rate switch again to return to low rates.

Only use LCD back-lighting for 10 seconds out of every flying hour and do not want blinding backlight for night flying. Five front red LEDs are hardly noticed at night, but they are at least as bright as before putting them in 3.3v regulator circuit to save wasted power.

Do not have a V911 transmitter apart at the moment otherwise I could be a little clearer.

2.4GHz Antenna 1/4 wavelength = 30.7mm
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 28, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
So cenn2010 is banggood's alias on ebay, or they just get their supply from them? I noticed that their email is a .hk.
Man that banggood sticker was a major pain in the butt to get off the canopy. Why people do such things I will never understand.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Yellow V911 bind to V911 stock transmitter

Much better way to bind Yellow V911 to V911 stock transmitter... You can take your time this way. No need to be quick.

1. Turn on V911 transmitter
2. Plug battery into Yellow V911 helicopter
3. Turn V911 transmitter OFF then ON.
---

Yellow binding mode has red LED blinking fast.

With V911 transmitter on, Yellow, when powered ON, sees the signal, goes into the binding mode (blinks slow when it sees a transmitter it likes) and stays there. Then when transmitter OFF/ON, Yellow quickly accepts it as the master transmitter and red LED goes solid.

---

If you bind with a half dead battery, Yellow will not arm the motors. Only servos work.
---

Alternate binding method

If you power Yellow on first, it goes into binding mode for a few seconds, stops, 20 seconds later goes into binding mode again.

You have to power the transmitter on while Yellow is in a fast blink binding mode. If you are fast enough, you can bind in the first few seconds binding mode. Otherwise (if slow like me) you have to wait 20 seconds for next Yellow binding mode.
---

Just got six more Yellows because I like to rotate between different V911's to keep it interesting.
---

Damn. I get through typing this and now the Yellows don't care what gets turned on first.
Whoops. The latest Yellows stay in binding mode until binded. The older Yellow cycles in and out of binding mode until binded.
---

Yellow V911 - Lost Wire Coil

Crashed one of my Yellow V911's and then the red LED would not light up at all. The round wire coil (near +Red battery wire) went missing. Looks like it could be a DC-DC converter or simply a filter choke.

Must have been a heavy bugger with a ferrite core for it to break off like that. Gotta find the coil and weigh it.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,256 Posts
Turnigy 9x Stick Calibration

I did this Turnigy 9x Stick Calibration
Highly recommend to do this - really made a difference (not that the 9x did not already.)
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
Many thanks Mag718!!!!! I did exactly what you sugested and it worked. She flies like a dream. So far she's the only heli I have that will lift straight up without right aileron. The gear and the motor sounds more connected and solid than version 1. I own several high dollar heli's and its hard to believe what 19.95 will buy you. I hope WL has future plans for a 6 ch. This is one of the better forums I've ever been on. You guys are friendly and more than willing to help. I'm 57 yo and I'm disabled. I have Lupus and it destoys my short term memory and sometimes I might repeat myself or ask a question that has been answered a page or two back, etc. People have been rude and hateful to me to other furums but you guys are always there with a helping hand. The V911 is a great and so are the pilots. Many, many thanks for helping an old Geezer out with a fun hobby.
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:19 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
Many thanks Mag718!!!!! I did exactly what you sugested and it worked. She flies like a dream. So far she's the only heli I have that will lift straight up without right aileron. The gear and the motor sounds more connected and solid than version 1. I own several high dollar heli's and its hard to believe what 19.95 will buy you. I hope WL has future plans for a 6 ch. This is one of the better forums I've ever been on. You guys are friendly and more than willing to help. I'm 57 yo and I'm disabled. I have Lupus and it destoys my short term memory and sometimes I might repeat myself or ask a question that has been answered a page or two back, etc. People have been rude and hateful to me to other furums but you guys are always there with a helping hand. The V911 is a great and so are the pilots. Many, many thanks for helping an old Geezer out with a fun hobby.
Welcome man! Nobody will be rude or hateful to you in here, or else I'll kick some a$$!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
I did this Turnigy 9x Stick Calibration
Highly recommend to do this - really made a difference (not that the 9x did not already.)
Thanks man. Maybe in another week or so I'll get to try it out.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
@MWShelton : we're glad you are here as well! The nice thing about these forums is that while they do move fast and it's easy to miss some vital response (I've done it more than a few times!!!) it's trivial for someone to copy & paste the link to the post in question. That kind of help is good for everyone in the end because it helps bring important information to the front.

I don't know if you guys have found this, but Google is very quick to index RCGroups posts. Thus the more times something important is mentioned in a thread, the more times it'll show up for someone in a google search. Thus, there's no problem with repeated information--especially in a thread that's pushing 786 pages now!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:10 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
@MWShelton : we're glad you are here as well! The nice thing about these forums is that while they do move fast and it's easy to miss some vital response (I've done it more than a few times!!!) it's trivial for someone to copy & paste the link to the post in question. That kind of help is good for everyone in the end because it helps bring important information to the front.

I don't know if you guys have found this, but Google is very quick to index RCGroups posts. Thus the more times something important is mentioned in a thread, the more times it'll show up for someone in a google search. Thus, there's no problem with repeated information--especially in a thread that's pushing 786 pages now!
Agreed! Some forums (for anything not just RC) have members who will be very rude when you ask a question that was answered somewhere else in a thread or the forum. People like that are just insecure morons anyway and are best ignored (cause most that do that would NEVER be rude to your face!).

Is it easier to search for info in RCG by using Google? If so how is it best done? Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
Is it easier to search for info in RCG by using Google? If so how is it best done? Thanks.[/I]
Just type in the key words you want to search followed with rcg.
When the results come up click on more results from rcgroups.

I just searched for (V911 tail motor rcg) and found 57 Google pages with those key words.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzwell View Post
Just type in the key words you want to search followed with rcg.
When the results come up click on more results from rcgroups.

I just searched for (V911 tail motor rcg) and found 57 Google pages with those key words.
Thanks Easy to find allot that way.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
All the hateful people split off to the alternate v911 thread hidden in the mini heli forum. j/k I am sure they consider the people on this thread the hateful one.

Anyways, it's hard to be in agreement on how relavent and on topic we should keep a thread. I don't think it's policing but rather to help newbies so they don't sort through too much friendly banter. In the end, we can only police ourselves and keep in mind that it's a hobby. Suppose to be fun.

My personal solution to the above is to make post that goes into more detail, with clear photos available on my blog: http://hacksmods.com

It's my way of contributing and expanding on the discussion that happens on here. I answer all comments and it's easier for me to sort and link to.

Anyways, welcome to the group. It's been barely a year since the first clones started to come out. And $20 buys you a lot of fun these days. The t9x/FlySky compatibility allow this little Corter to transcend toy status into the hobby realm IMHO.

Tip for using Google to search only on a particular site...add the following:

site:rcgroups.com

So, if you're searching for "v911 tail motor." Here's the query I would enter into Google.

v911 tail motor site:rcgroups.com
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Aug 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM.