HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Which glue to use

Just broke my landing skid, front left at the battery holder on my v911 original with screw mount. While I wait for my new skids what glue is recommended for a quick & dirty fix? CA thick or thin, JB Quick, or something else? Recommendations please.
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
A tiny bit of CA to keep it together, then wrap it with a thin piece of paper towel or something, and soak that in CA to make a cast.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:06 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
A tiny bit of CA to keep it together, then wrap it with a thin piece of paper towel or something, and soak that in CA to make a cast.
I used some black braided poly string I use for my hunting bow. After CA on the skid I wrapped tight with the string (could use thread) and covered with CA. Worked so good I did the rest of the arms of the skid.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
Very excellent.....Thanks! U 2 Bvc
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
Build fly crash
United States, IN, Hobart
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
After reading some of this thread, I decided to get a v911. I only have flown 3ch coaxial with out gyros. It arrived this morning and all I can say is this is the most fun I have had with a heli. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted and recommended this heli for switching from 3ch coax to 4ch fixed.
Cire greof is offline Find More Posts by Cire greof
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
I used some black braided poly string I use for my hunting bow. After CA on the skid I wrapped tight with the string (could use thread) and covered with CA. Worked so good I did the rest of the arms of the skid.
I like that idea, I have weak skid spot so I might do that like I am doing below:

I am doing my flybar in some tiny digital braided fishing line now. Its about the thickness of mono filament 4 pound test but 20 pound test rated. am wraping the flybar partly then going to brush it with extra thick CA glue I have (BSI Maxi-Cure Extra thick is what I got when I got the Un-Cure to remove glue from amazon)
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:39 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire greof View Post
It arrived this morning and all I can say is this is the most fun I have had with a heli
Time for a $20 V911 BNF now that you know what you are buying. Or consider it a complete set of parts that you can buy all at once instead of waiting for the slow boat from China. At least get a couple flybars.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
is there any skids that are better from sp that may fit the 911 or dose someone make in upgrade? Mine are so flimsy
mik48 is offline Find More Posts by mik48
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
380 Posts
Heres me with another silly question anyone have a battery make this heli run odd i may have run one to long and now after cooldown the second battery acts odd tail not holding and whole heli kinda hard to explain.
firstadam2k is offline Find More Posts by firstadam2k
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:00 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
I wrapped part of the flybar in the braided fishing line. It is only glued on the ends right now. I still have to brush a little glue on the line everywhere to stiffen it more. I will then check balance and see if I need to do anything. I forget who, but someone else with many mods had the idea to wrap string dipped in glue around it (I think it was), so this wasn't completely my idea. (have to look back for who to give credit to).

edit* Started adding extra thick BSI CA Glue and this line absorbs it great! I am using pieces of hobby "pipe cleaners" to apply it cause it dries fast. I add some glue in a strip and the brush it in with the pipe cleaner pieces and then throw that piece away and grab another cut-off piece. cheaper than ruining 10 or so hobby paint brushes, cause the bristles get stiff fast (but have to make sure no loose fluffy stuff cause I had some come off one and get in the glue). I did one coat and might do a second. Have to wait and see if it is stiff enough after it is completely setup. I hope I don't have to do a second wrap.
Last edited by TapouT21; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
I like that idea, I have weak skid spot so I might do that like I am doing below:

I am doing my flybar in some tiny digital braided fishing line now. Its about the thickness of mono filament 4 pound test but 20 pound test rated. am wraping the flybar partly then going to brush it with extra thick CA glue I have (BSI Maxi-Cure Extra thick is what I got when I got the Un-Cure to remove glue from amazon)
I read that (braided fishing line) elsewhere but I was too lazy to get it so I used what was quickly accessible. I'm thinking about doing this on a stock FB as well (EDIT: like you did!). Let me know how it goes. I have a used v911 coming with an xtreme FB with msr paddles I want to re-enforce. I'll also be making another CF FB with just weights using the stock hub, which needs re-enforcement at the joint. I'm thinking I would run the fishing line continuously from the stock hub to the CF tube, building it up at the joint. If that makes sense.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire greof View Post
After reading some of this thread, I decided to get a v911. I only have flown 3ch coaxial with out gyros. It arrived this morning and all I can say is this is the most fun I have had with a heli. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted and recommended this heli for switching from 3ch coax to 4ch fixed.
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the club. So glad you're enjoying your V911. Be careful. This hobby has a way of flying away with your wallet! OF course, you're having too much fun to typically care.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
My goal is fly more crash less
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Jul 2012
75 Posts
Up on a roof

Had fun flying both my helis today (9116, 911). Have to say my 911 make the 9116 seen stuck in slow motion. Took the 911 a bit too high. Ok way too high for the wind level and off it went out of my cul-de-sac. I thought i had corralled it and was bringing it back down but misjudged how far away it really was it landing in the first floor rain gutter of a nearby house.

So here I am, a 40+ year old guy, ringing a stranger's doorbell apologizing and asking if was ok that I grab my ladder and pull my helicopter out of his gutters. Took him a moment to understand what I was talking about. LOL

Good times.
Obiorion is offline Find More Posts by Obiorion
Last edited by Obiorion; Aug 24, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Left out a word.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiorion View Post
Had flying both my helis today (9116, 911). Have to say my 911 make the 9116 seen stuck in slow motion. Took the 911 a bit too high. Ok way too high for the wind level and off it went out of my cul-de-sac. I thought i had corralled it and was bringing it back down but misjudged how far away it really was it landing in the first floor rain gutter of a nearby house.

So here I am, a 40+ year old guy, ringing a stranger's doorbell apologizing and asking if was ok that I grab my ladder and pull my helicopter out of his gutters. Took him a moment to understand what I was talking about. LOL

Good times.
Been there......climbing around in the neighbors tree Took 3 hours, 5 people, and me finally climbing on my roof with binoculars to finally spot the sucker....or...am I the sucker? If that didn't do it I was going to count it a loss and get another BNF. Oh, you know my wife loves me......you should have seen her on the roof with binoculars! Funny looks from people driving by LOL
Last edited by Bvc; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
I read that (braided fishing line) elsewhere but I was too lazy to get it so I used what was quickly accessible. I'm thinking about doing this on a stock FB as well (EDIT: like you did!). Let me know how it goes. I have a used v911 coming with an xtreme FB with msr paddles I want to re-enforce. I'll also be making another CF FB with just weights using the stock hub, which needs re-enforcement at the joint. I'm thinking I would run the fishing line continuously from the stock hub to the CF tube, building it up at the joint. If that makes sense.
Stuff absorbs glue great. But if I do another I will still use fast dry glue for the start and end, but something not as fast to coat it cause it is a pain wen the glue I have dried so fast. Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow I can test it and see how it does on the heli.