HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
Sweden, Borlänge
Joined Jul 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssnake View Post
No It was custom made by Pimp My Heli, with all the bells and whistles, not the newer EX firmware though. Backlight lipo batt. frsky mod. Haven't had any probs flying my 500, except for the ESC which is over heating it's a 80 amp askjhf or something like that. Looking at a 60 amp Proton? Gens ace. I don't know it's all greek to me. Just as long as it flys and doesn't fall out of the sky. Right now I'm hooked on this micro and wanted to use my 9x cause it's such a great radio. Grace and peace Ken
From the looks on their web site you should be able to use it with your 9x.

Have a look at these videos:

5888 helicopter binding to Turnigy 9x instructions (2 min 20 sec)

Binding V911 to Turnigy 9x.wmv (1 min 15 sec)

Note that if you use this file make sure you save your current settings first!
Here you have an er9x template for the v911 courtesy of Daryoon: https://www.box.com/s/5f220f67251ed8c3f85e
J.F.S is online now Find More Posts by J.F.S
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
I don't know, if you figure something out let me know and I'll do the same for you.
I've ruled out the motor, drivetrain and batts, so I'm thinking speed controller on the board, but that's about all I got for now. I was hoping one of the EE's on here may have already found and (hopefully) solved the problem. It'd be great to swap out a FET on the board and get my heli back.
razholio is offline Find More Posts by razholio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonggyooi View Post
Could it be the tail motor power has worn out? Anybody tried changing d tail motor instead of d main motor? Hmmm..
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that... however, at least for me, that doesn't appear to be the issue. Even at full throttle I still have good thrust response (able to pull a sharp right-turn) from the tail rotor. You are assuming that the stabilization circuit will reduce main rotor speed to compensate for poor tail rotor thrust as detected by the gyro.... I believe I've seen evidence to the contrary. I'm pretty sure I've seen heli's spin outta control when there is a stuck, broken or missing tail rotor.

any evidence to the contrary? if anyone has 'fixed' this performance problem with a new tail motor I'd love to hear it.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
cheap high performance fly-bar mod

I'm not sure if anyone is even interested, but I found a cheap, easy method to modify the stock flybar so as to eliminate flybar strikes *and* greatly improve the performance of the v911. I can grab pics if warranted, but I basically clipped the weights off about 5mm in from the inside edge of the weight and then used copious amounts of hotglue to fully ensconce a small computer screw in a ball of hot glue stuck to the end of the flybar. It basically looks like a ball of snot with a screw in the middle.

This results in a shorter (no strikes) flybar that is also lighter (more control). the result is also less stable flight, but it's really not all that bad. I was very surprised to find that I had greater dynamics *and* much tighter control in maneuvers. I switched back to stock after flying the modded flybar and found myself sliding into walls at almost every turn. It felt very sloppy.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:54 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razholio View Post
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that... however, at least for me, that doesn't appear to be the issue. Even at full throttle I still have good thrust response (able to pull a sharp right-turn) from the tail rotor. You are assuming that the stabilization circuit will reduce main rotor speed to compensate for poor tail rotor thrust as detected by the gyro.... I believe I've seen evidence to the contrary. I'm pretty sure I've seen heli's spin outta control when there is a stuck, broken or missing tail rotor.

any evidence to the contrary? if anyone has 'fixed' this performance problem with a new tail motor I'd love to hear it.
just a guess..LOL...the more turn u pull the more power it may consume..hence reduce flight time...u can try just hover and see whether flight time has been reduced significantly..i have changed the main motor once as it is already KO..yet to change the tail motor..
leonggyooi is offline Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Took my Harbor frieght aluminum case with 5 of my v911's and my turnigy 9x tx down to my local RC shop and they were simply blown away and amazed at the v911. They had never seen them before and were shocked at how awesome & durable they were. One guy was a buggy driver who had never flown a fp before and within 5 minutes he was doing a respectable job and having a blast. The owner might have me get a few RTF kits and buy them from me for resale at the shop. They were crazy about them I told them about the new helios also. Depending on how they are they might want some of those as well! V911's rock!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:31 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC808 View Post
How's that delrin gear perform? I don't know if aliexpress has it, since their search SUCKS big time.

I doubt these canopies fit the original V911's...but I like that black one a lot.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
I got my delrin gears from miracle-mart and they had them in 2 packs and BOGO so I got 4 of them for $3.90. I like them. http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7335
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razholio View Post
I've ruled out the motor, drivetrain and batts, so I'm thinking speed controller on the board, but that's about all I got for now. I was hoping one of the EE's on here may have already found and (hopefully) solved the problem. It'd be great to swap out a FET on the board and get my heli back.
Have you tried taking the main board out of a working one and putting it in one with a short flight time? That would tell you whether or not it's the board or the bird. Would take a little soldering to disconnect the motors. I would do it if I had another but I just have the one.

I tore mine down today to check the main gear, shaft, and bearings and it all seems OK. The head has a slight wobble but that has always been there (could be worse now, I don't know). One interesting thing I found today is that after only getting about 3 minutes flight time I was able to hover a couple inches off the floor at full throttle for a good 2 minutes. That's definitely not normal.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
Spain, Valencian Community, Burriana
Joined Mar 2012
119 Posts
already have tried it outdoors, not if it is due to the new swash plate with fish-eye and gearboxes more shorts, but has many inertia, I shortened in advance and it has gained in speed, but now to release the controls does not stop. The side flight is not as good as its predecessor, and which does not have the aluminum shaft not is if I like... will continue testing...
Geso is offline Find More Posts by Geso
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:57 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Took my Harbor frieght aluminum case with 5 of my v911's and my turnigy 9x tx down to my local RC shop and they were simply blown away and amazed at the v911. They had never seen them before and were shocked at how awesome & durable they were. One guy was a buggy driver who had never flown a fp before and within 5 minutes he was doing a respectable job and having a blast. The owner might have me get a few RTF kits and buy them from me for resale at the shop. They were crazy about them I told them about the new helios also. Depending on how they are they might want some of those as well! V911's rock!
Ha ha! Good for you. I've talked a little about the cheap Chinese FP helis like the V911 and 9958 to my LHS but they usually just stare at me with a blank look. Whenever I mention my Turnigy 9x, I usually mention that I get it from Hobby King and then I get the "You should avoid that cheap crap at all costs" speech.

I should do the same and bring my Harbor Freight case of helis down to my shop sometime as well. They've got a nice parking lot out back that's got some trees around that would make for a good place to do some demo flights.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
New to RC hobby
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
I got my delrin gears from miracle-mart and they had them in 2 packs and BOGO so I got 4 of them for $3.90. I like them. http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7335
I too got my derlin gear from Miracle-Mart. Got mine delivered in 5 days, faster than few state side venders.
mvadu is offline Find More Posts by mvadu
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonggyooi View Post
Could it be the tail motor power has worn out? Anybody tried changing d tail motor instead of d main motor? Hmmm..
I have had to change one main and two tail motors on my fleet.

While it's true that the tail uses a considerable amount of the energy of the battery (someone said 30%), if it was having problems, you'd probably need to add trim.

As a guess, if the copter rotated CW (clock wise) without trim it would indicate a problem with the tail motor (not enough default thrust).
If it rotated CCW (counter clock wise), it would indicate to me a main motor problem (not enough default thrust relative to default tail motor).

Check the temperature of the motor.
After flight, my main is usually slightly warm to touch, and tail is a bit warmer.
If either motor is causing short times, it'd probably be quite hot.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
What does it mean when the main motor sometimes (not always) need a little help to get going? Just a blow on the blades will get them going. The rudder spins but not the main motor. Motor going out?
Put a mark the main gear where it contacts the motor (sharpie).
If it always stops/is stuck in the same spot it may be something messing up the gear mesh.
If so, examine the gear with a magnifying glass and see if you can clean it with a toothbrush etc.

More likely, it's the main motor going out.
Buy a spare or two.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Without having to look through now almost 800 pages, is there a better tail motor out there that will drop in without to much mod?
And if anyone has an opinion on a better main motor...
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sweden, Borlänge
Joined Jul 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Ha ha! Good for you. I've talked a little about the cheap Chinese FP helis like the V911 and 9958 to my LHS but they usually just stare at me with a blank look. Whenever I mention my Turnigy 9x, I usually mention that I get it from Hobby King and then I get the "You should avoid that cheap crap at all costs" speech.

I should do the same and bring my Harbor Freight case of helis down to my shop sometime as well. They've got a nice parking lot out back that's got some trees around that would make for a good place to do some demo flights.
The 9x radio was used by Anthony Rotteleur in the European f3k championship and he finished third. Not too shabby for being "crap"
J.F.S is online now Find More Posts by J.F.S