HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,105 Posts
"U.S. warehouse" does not mean "U.S. manufacture". I would imagine the cost of shipping them to the U.S. is built into the price if purchased from either place.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Caution: In my experience, purchasing from Amazon and Ebay yields a good chance of getting older TX. At least, that what I received from both.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Here's a little video of my and my son flying in a gym. I like the v911 and he prefers the GW 9958

v911 and Xieda indoor flight (7 min 49 sec)
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
Canada, MB, Steinbach
Joined Jun 2012
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Best guess, bad battery. Full charge = 4.20 volts, maybe 3.70 volts after flight.

Crash damage, maybe the battery contacts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
Others can help better than I, but first, Did you use a needle or similar to hold through the flybar hole while it is off the heli to make sure it is balanced completely? I would do that for sure.

The rotation to the right and not gaining altitude sound like a weak battery to me, but could be other stuff as well I would assume. How much have you flown on the battery? Could it need charged? When my heli starts to loose altitude I stop, let them cool 10 minutes or so and charge them. Any chance you got batteries mixed up and thought you had a charged one in it or forgot to charge it etc?

I add a dab of glue to my flybar weights before I fly any flybars after I heard them jiggle a little. was more worried about it hitting me or someone in the eye than loosing it. (I try to make sure I have safety glasses on when I fly just in case though cause I get close to myself often!).

Thanks for the advice guys. That's exactly what it feels like, a weak battery. All 5 of my batteries do this though, so I don't think thats the problem. Can bad contacts let some current through but not the full amount?
Highway11 is online now Find More Posts by Highway11
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,620 Posts
@GooberSB
Love the video. Nice session with your son.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a U.S. company I can order one of these from? Not sure I wanna wait on a slow boat from China.
http://tinyurl.com/8ebnutm
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway11 View Post
That's exactly what it feels like, a weak battery. All 5 of my batteries do this though, so I don't think thats the problem. Can bad contacts let some current through but not the full amount?
Best guess, 5 bad batteries or not fully charging to 4.20 volts. A digital voltmeter is a good investment. Always suspect a bad battery first, then look for other causes. You could try plugging the charger into a different computer or the back of the transmitter.

Bad contacts can cause loss of power, but not consistently, and not with 5 different batteries.

After you prove your batteries are good, then check your main motor for overheating. If the batteries are delivering the power, then the V911 either flies or all that energy is wasted as heat in a motor.

To check for motors overheating, touch the main motor and kiss the tail motor. Touching tail motor to your nose also works quite well, but my nose isn't calibrated for heat. After you kiss the tail motor, get in the habit of blowing air into the tail rotor and get used to the sound it makes. Doing these things can save you a lot of headaches.
---

The odds of buying 5 bad batteries is very low. They have to be charged first before using them. Other than that, you have to ruin a battery to make it bad. If you can unknowingly ruin one battery, then ruining 4 more is not that hard. Not that you ruined your batteries, just that you can not assume all good batteries because you have 5 of them.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 12, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
My Corter Is Borken
United States, OH, Newark
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
I was tinkering once and if I remember correctly, inner swashballs and outer servo arms and outer swashballs and outer servo holes was faster in high rates than everything outer on low, but the only way to have full throw is to have everything outer. This of course still won't address your rudder.
Ok, I put the ball links on the shorter pair of the posts. Are you suggesting I also change the servo arms?

Anyone else try out the shorter ball links? It's too windy for me to go play, so any input would be welcome.
MC808 is offline Find More Posts by MC808
Last edited by MC808; Aug 12, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
Caution: In my experience, purchasing from Amazon and Ebay yields a good chance of getting older TX. At least, that what I received from both.
My Red/White RTF from Amazon was new TX and Rev. 06 heli. Mine had no problems, flew great, controllable to the slightest degree on high rates etc...

Mine came from Toymine International Inc. on Amazon. I paid $53.50 but it is only $44.89 right now (from another seller that is Prime eligible, there are more than one sellers that ship via Prime that have it in stock) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
thanks for the help everyone! after some screw loosening and solder touch up, my servo sprang to life and she's flying wonderfully.

this is great news since i have parts for a 270 conversion in the mail.
looking back, it would have been MUCH easier (and less costly) to buy a 270 and a v911 cb...but, as they say, hindsight is 20/20 lol
wannabe_pilot is offline Find More Posts by wannabe_pilot
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Should you want to learn about the V911, here are some interesting things to try.

Gyro test...
Hold the V911 in your hand
Apply throttle
Tail motor speeds up when V911 rotated counter-clockwise (nose-left)
Tail motor slows down when V911 rotated clockwise (nose-right)
Tail motor speeds up when throttle increased.
---

Rudder
Power off transmitter
Push rudder full left or right and hold
Power on transmitter
If you mess with the rudder potentiometer, then the transmitter knows and remembers
---

Mixing arms reversed
Reverse both mixing arms so that short-side goes to flybar, long-side goes to swashplate.
This makes the flybar dominate the V911 and makes it very stable. Oddly, it still flies quite well in heavy wind, just not as fast, and the wind doesn't bother it so much.
(Seems to be a good way to cheat on the Tuna Tin landing challenge)
---

Anyone know the difference between "A" blades and "B" blades? Yes, one set comes on the V911 and the other is a spare set. Both look the same and the V911 still flies if you mix them.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Anyone know the difference between "A" blades and "B" blades? Yes, one set comes on the V911 and the other is a spare set. Both look the same and the V911 still flies if you mix them.
I think the only point of the A and B is to differentiate between a original main blade and a spare in case of warranty. As their exactly the same.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC808 View Post
Ok, I put the ball links on the shorter pair of the posts. Are you suggesting I also change the servo arms?

Anyone else try out the shorter ball links? It's too windy for me to go play, so any input would be welcome.
Just suggesting trying different combos.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
My Red/White RTF from Amazon was new TX and Rev. 06 heli. Mine had no problems, flew great, controllable to the slightest degree on high rates etc...

Mine came from Toymine International Inc. on Amazon. I paid $53.50 but it is only $44.89 right now (from another seller that is Prime eligible, there are more than one sellers that ship via Prime that have it in stock) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01
That's why I said "Caution: In my experience". You never know with places like Amazon and Ebay until all the old are gone, and the descriptions don't say. Buying from a place like banggood it's a lot less likely you'll get the old.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,105 Posts
What's the issue with the old stock?
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan