HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:43 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami78 View Post
Ribble. Thank you for better explaining the usage of the resistors and cutting the trace.
I figured that would be the easiest way to show what to do. The picture of the way I have my remote modded the trace is cut under the resistor and I could not show that very well. I have a spare remote that I was able to take a picture of to show what to do.
Thanks for taking the time to do that. In the other pic, you have a resistor on the cut. Where's the other end going? Hard to tell from the pic.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:51 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Putting a resistor across the cut trace lets some of the rudder control stick work again.
Thanks for the explanation! Would this be a 4th resistor?
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:02 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
If the rudder is too sensitive in the center, like it was for me, the 2 x 2K mod did the trick.
The advantage of the 2x 2K mod is that you still get full throw if/when you want it.
It adds exponential, meaning it reduces the influence of the joystick near the center, while still giving full throw.

If you want more "center reduction", you could use 2x 1K.

With the basic 2 x resistor mod, you're less likely to kill the xmitter and retain full throw.
thanks! I've had the two 2.2k mod since I got the v911, but I find no need for full throw and actually find it frustrating and causing crashes etc. Especially for my children. Its not fun for them so I need to eliminate it.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:05 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
Thanks for the explanation! Would this be a 4th resistor?
No, that is the 1K resistor shown in between the two 2K resistors. If you look closely and trace the copper, that 1K resistor bridges the cut trace.

Total three resistors, two 2K and one 1K.

Origami78 just made it look so simple and you can wire it exactly as shown.

It may look very close to the original 2K V911 transmitter modification, but it is an entirely different circuit that function in an entirely different way.

Rudder control will be 50% of stock transmitter. There will be some exponential around center stick. Transmitter Rudder control either 50% low rate and 50% high rate.

If you short the cut trace (which shorts the 1K resistor), it will convert back to and function exactly like the original 2K WASP modification.

If you use three 2K resistors, then rudder control will be 33% of stock transmitter.

(I think I calculated those percentages correctly).

Origami78 just made it look so simple
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10593
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 02, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
Hi guys. I'm about to buy one of these. I have flown a few radio shack / walmart coaxial copters.

I want to be able to move on to other things later(maybe a DIY multicopter or larger heli) so do you think its a good Idea to just buy the Turnigy 9x and a BNF yellow V911 + Batteries? I mean this way I end up having a radio I can use for other things later....

Also I wanted to make sure that the version 2 of the turnigy 9x will bind with these I know the V1 will but I just wanted to confirm before I make a purchase.
Curtisbeef is offline Find More Posts by Curtisbeef
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:25 PM
What Do You Drive?
United States, PA, Folsom
Joined Jan 2012
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbeef View Post
Hi guys. I'm about to buy one of these. I have flown a few radio shack / walmart coaxial copters.

I want to be able to move on to other things later(maybe a DIY multicopter or larger heli) so do you think its a good Idea to just buy the Turnigy 9x and a BNF yellow V911 + Batteries? I mean this way I end up having a radio I can use for other things later....

Also I wanted to make sure that the version 2 of the turnigy 9x will bind with these I know the V1 will but I just wanted to confirm before I make a purchase.
Keep it safe Curtis and get a Turnigy 9x and V911 BNF black/blue or red. There are some negatives about the Yellow, some say slower, servo issues, heavier, ect. And there was a post that the Yellow is NOT a WL. Personally I prefer the red and blue and repainted my black. There are also 2 settings that need change on the 9x, but you have time for that.

V911 is an incredibly cheap, kick #ss heli and WELL worth the BNF money. The 9x really makes it a sweet deal.
Pancari is offline Find More Posts by Pancari
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:45 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Hey Curtis, you sound like me a few weeks ago
The 9x controller is well worth the money, even if you only use it to fly the v911 and/or v929. It gives so much more control! You really have to try it to believe it!

Here is a video of me flying the v911 with the stock 9x. Maybe the same level of control is possible with a lot more practice with the standard TX, but I couldn't do it after 80+ flights. Took me an hour or 3 to figure out the 9x controller, and to fly like this with it.

I also just installed the smartieparts board and flashed to ER9x, which opened up an even bigger world of options and customization! It's a bit difficult in the beginning, but I got the settings the way I like it after another ~2 hours of reading the manual and trying. Now I have 1 switch to change between low, mid and high rates, a throttle-activated timer (so I don't drain my batteries too far), and for my beetle I can use the spring loaded switch for instant flips.
And, I just made a pretty personal splash screen

About moving on later, that was exactly my concern too. The 9x comes with a receiver, and Balr was so kind to point me in this direction: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668441
250 size quad to which you can add your own receiver. In other words, perfect!

Feel free to pm me if you have questions about the 9x in combination with the v911 or v929

And I also advise you to get a 'normal' v911, not the yellow one.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:47 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancari View Post
Keep it safe Curtis and get a Turnigy 9x and V911 BNF black/blue or red. There are some negatives about the Yellow, some say slower, servo issues, heavier, ect. And there was a post that the Yellow is NOT a WL. Personally I prefer the red and blue and repainted my black. There are also 2 settings that need change on the 9x, but you have time for that.

V911 is an incredibly cheap, kick #ss heli and WELL worth the BNF money. The 9x really makes it a sweet deal.
Look Al, if the guy wants a yellow, let him have a yellow! We all know sooner or later everyone's going to have one of each color.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:12 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
@cgpirre : your splash screen is awesome!!! I need to do that now.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
Thanks so much for the replys all Very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Look Al, if the guy wants a yellow, let him have a yellow! We all know sooner or later everyone's going to have one of each color.
Hehe well I only wanted the yellow one because I heard It was built a little better...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:17 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Thanks, Robo, I'm also very happy with how it turned out!
Post pictures when you've finished yours
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:28 PM
Flying mostly pop-wings now.
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Dec 2011
284 Posts
After flying the yellow one, I had to get my own, it flys great in the wind and is fast. I do use a turnigy 9x with all my v911's and that might be why I like it.
ashtodust2000 is offline Find More Posts by ashtodust2000
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
Damn it now I just have to wait for HK to get the Turnigy 9X back in stock.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:55 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
Here is a video of me flying the v911 with the stock 9x. Maybe the same level of control is possible with a lot more practice with the standard TX, but I couldn't do it after 80+ flights. Took me an hour or 3 to figure out the 9x controller, and to fly like this with it.
I can fly like that inside with a stock TX. Couldn't at first but can now and have not had it very long. If a ceiling fan is on more than low, I cant be that smooth though (if I am under it). I guess I will need to read more on the 9x to see what all it enables you to do. I guess if it can control both the 929 and 911 then I may get one after I get a 929. Is there a list anywhere what all helis the 9x can control?

Anyone have any input on how long I should have the flybar (it will be reinforced some) and what angle I should set these paddles once I have them ready to attach?

TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Last edited by TapouT21; Aug 02, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
The 9x has a lot more resolution. Last week I managed to park my v911 on a shelf underneath a coffee table, the landing spot was just an inch or 2 taller then the heli.

Also: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703504

No idea about the paddles. I guess trial & error?