HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Wouldnt the best option be to grab the quadcopter tx'es instead. Those have 20/40% rates and bind to the v911.
Since my main reason is for my children, can anyone that has done this comment on the low rate? Must be pretty low.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
I must have missed something.
What is different in the 'new' V911 TX??
The newer V911 transmitter that came out around May 2012 has the rudder response toned down and makes so much difference. Even better than the 2K resistor mods to the older transmitter. I don't know about high rates, only use low rates.

Also gives an audio beeping growl when the transmitter batteries run out.

Maybe other differences, but those are the ones that stand out.

Some have mentioned that the newer V911 transmitter gives two bars on the Rudder LCD display in low rates. Maybe the way to tell what version you have. My newer versions all give two bars. Haven't checked one of the older versions.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jul 27, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Another thing regarding the pot on the rudder not working in high rates is, correct me if I am wrong, the throttle has a pot that works in both rates.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
Another thing regarding the pot on the rudder not working in high rates is, correct me if I am wrong, the throttle has a pot that works in both rates.
Each of the four control movements have the stick mechanically connected to separate potentiometers. Each potentiometer works in both low rates and high rates - the same potentiometer is used for both rates. Just like the same control stick is used in both rates.

The throttle does not change when you change rates. The main motor AND tail motor do not change speed when rates are switched.

Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder do change to higher rates.
Last edited by Ribble; Jul 27, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
My understanding on this and I could be wrong, is that in low rates the newer transmitter will show 2 bars for the tail (yaw) (the tail bars are the smaller bar display in the middle of the screen). At first I didn't even notice this small display area on the LCD. The older transmitter the low rates is 3 bars, and on high rates (both TX) it allows the full 4 bars.
But yes going to low rates does slow the spin rate quite a bit.
Mine seems like the newer one and it has 2 bars on low and all bars on high for the rudder.
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Last night I flew some helis up near the top of a mountain summit - somewhere around 1100m. It seemed like the helicopters flew fine but performed a little less well. Has anyone else noticed higher elevations affect their flights?
Higher elevation means thinner (less dense) air. At some point, a heli will not even fly if the air it too thin. So yes, air density does effect the blades lift performance of a heli.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:47 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Higher elevation means thinner (less dense) air. At some point, a heli will not even fly if the air it too thin. So yes, air density does effect the blades lift performance of a heli.
So, I can't fly in a vacuum? People say I live in a vacuum, that between my ears is a vacuum.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Humidity also affects flight characteristics

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc View Post
Help!
I have the old twitchy TX. I did the resistor mod (tried different sizes), but it's not near enough. So I put a potentiometer on (with the resistors) and the pot works great!......just in low rates . In high rates it is ignored. I'm guessing because high rates ignores the predetermined low rate, so my pot is then ignored. If I am correct, that would make sense.....except the resistors are not ignored in high rates

So how do I get high rates to obey a pot? and where? I tried the pot at the 2 white wires at the hi/lo rate switch -upper right corner. (pic from MassiveOverkill)

It seems the pot only turns on (+50%) and off (-50%) the high rate switch. Do I need a different size pot (using 30k)?

I'm guessing high rates is 0% gyro. If I have to do this on the heli I will but I hope there's a way to do it on the TX.

Thanks!
The resistor mod should affect both low and high rates.
I'm wondering exactly what you did (30K is really large).
Can you post a sketch of your wiring?
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Just one quick clarification question--the part that I need to sand are the posts on the head itself, right? In your blog, you didn't sand the blades. Or do I have it backwards?
Do the blades bind on the posts (not rotate smoothly) individually, or only when you bolt them together.

If it's individually, the posts may have mold flash on them.

If it's when you bolt the blades together, it might be that the posts are too long, or the blades are to narrow in the "slot" they form for the head.

I had one set that was too narrow when bgolted together. A very light filing of the "slot" solved the problem.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
The resistor mod should affect both low and high rates.
It does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
I'm wondering exactly what you did (30K is really large).
Put a pot on top of the resistor mod. Works great in low rates. I can adjust the speed of low rates from 0-100% or 90%.....close, so the 30k is fine in that regard. I wanted 22k but all they had was 10, 30, 50, 100. So I am probably closer to 85-90% of the possible low rate, which doesn't matter because I only want (and have achieved) 50-60%.

Hi rates is what I am trying to effect now.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
Quote:
I expected it would be different but I wasn't quite prepared for the reality... it was weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
So, I can't fly in a vacuum? People say I live in a vacuum, that between my ears is a vacuum.
Suddenly I feel less alone in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
John.
I hadn't thought of that - makes sense.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:08 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
345 Posts
My v911 was developing some vibrations and sometimes the rudder gyro would let it turn some etc... well it all at once came back at me and slammed into my hand (got a swollen red spot on my finger) and then to the ground. It busted a blade almost in two about 1/2" from the rotor head.

I wonder if the blade had a tiny crack I missed from previous crashes yesterday? I doubt it broke completely when it hit my finger.

It vibrates less now and seems to have better rudder heading on the gyro, so I guess I need to inspect my blades closer than I had been!
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
Last edited by TapouT21; Jul 27, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
why do you think they just don't jump in a heli to rescue people off of a high mountain peak. dah
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post

John.
Pop quiz - which is like high altitude/lower density/poor performance?

High or low humidity?