SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
I completed Massive Overkill's paddle mod a few days ago. There is a huge improvement in speed and power in wind. I'm having to re-learn how to mix throttle and elevator in FFF, but I'm getting the hang of it. Mine came out perfectly balanced the first time. The trick was to slide the paddles on and make sure it's balanced BEFORE you glue them.
installerblizz is offline Find More Posts by installerblizz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
I just purchased one here from another user for $30 shipped. Then I ordered a "Copter" canopy instead of the "Corter" one as well as extra blades, batteries, flybar, all for only $15 shipped on eBay.

Are there other parts I should have on standby?

Joining the CLUB!
There's a fairly strong consensus on this thread that it's more cost effective to buy an BNF for $20 as a spare heli rather than get spare parts.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been searching through the thread and haven't found anything on this problem.

I got three of these helis yesterday and two of them are working fine. The third (red/white) worked great for 3 flights. Now, I can't get it to power up correctly. When I plug in the battery, the LED glows about half brightness, but does not blink. If I continue to plug and unplug the battery, I can sometimes get it to blink slowly, but it won't talk to the tx. I messed with it for a few hours, and twice actually got it to link to the tx and was able to fly it for a full pack.

I'm suspecting a control board issue, but just wanted to see if anyone else has seen something like this. Got online last night and was going to order a new board, but it was almost as cheap to just get a new heli. Banggood had the heli only for $19.99 w/ free shipping, so I just ordered one of them instead. This way I will have spare parts from the old one.
Intermittant ability to bind is unusual, first time I've heard of it anyway. I'd suggest checking for loose connection somewhere. Does the same tx work on the other (non-problematic) heli's? Try a different tx (if you have one) on problematic one, see if it makes any difference.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:47 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
There's a fairly strong consensus on this thread that it's more cost effective to buy an BNF for $20 as a spare heli rather than get spare parts.
True story. Then you get a complete set of parts that at least all go together! That's useful when you're reassembling something to make sure you end up with what you think it's supposed to look like. Also , buying the RX alone will set you back at least half of that.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Crestview, Fl
Joined Jun 2003
11 Posts
Quote:
Intermittant ability to bind is unusual, first time I've heard of it anyway. I'd suggest checking for loose connection somewhere. Does the same tx work on the other (non-problematic) heli's? Try a different tx (if you have one) on problematic one, see if it makes any difference.
The tx works fine with the other helis, as does the batteries. The problem is definitely in the heli itself. I've gone over it with a lighted magnifying glass and couldn't find any loose or shorted connections. All of the solder joints look OK. I did find what appeared to be a very thin metallic hair that may have been touching the legs of the crystal, but removing it had no affect. It's strange that when I plug the battery in, the LED does not blink at all, it just glows at about half brightness.
joebob is offline Find More Posts by joebob
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
Gone with the Mistral
France, PACA, 13
Joined Jun 2012
70 Posts
Paper canopy

Hi all,
I don't like the paint of my black/orange copter anymore.
At first, I take the paint off.
Then I try a paper canopy (resize of Dr Dremel).
Fun to see in flight. No vibrations (to date).
ztoon13 is offline Find More Posts by ztoon13
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Except for parts like the tail boom which are glued in place... still need to order a replacement for that one!
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
If it binds with the stock v911 I am going to order one now...for $19.99 it's worth it....
The only thing I can't quite figure - every time I change a battery on the new V911, I have to turn the transmitter off and back on again. I'm thinking this means it has to "rebind" on every startup.
wavy is offline Find More Posts by wavy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavy View Post
The only thing I can't quite figure - every time I change a battery on the new V911, I have to turn the transmitter off and back on again. I'm thinking this means it has to "rebind" on every startup.
I believe rebind is when tx is turned on first, "reconnect" is when rx is turned on (i.e., insert battery) first.

Reconnect is faster than rebind, rebinding is only needed when pairing new heli (new BNF, for example).
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
The tx works fine with the other helis, as does the batteries. The problem is definitely in the heli itself. I've gone over it with a lighted magnifying glass and couldn't find any loose or shorted connections. All of the solder joints look OK. I did find what appeared to be a very thin metallic hair that may have been touching the legs of the crystal, but removing it had no affect. It's strange that when I plug the battery in, the LED does not blink at all, it just glows at about half brightness.
If you bought the heli new, then I suggest looking into getting replacement/refund, rather than rack your brain trying to diagnose/troubleshoot, unless of course you actually enjoy such a challenge. Good luck.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Woot! Good to hear!
Especially since I bought my yellow BNF.
It came last night, but I didn't have time to fly it.

Looks like the main differences are.

Different RX.
Different landing gear.
Different swash (look like it has a brass ball that eliminates side to side wiggle. It still moves up and down).
The main gear is cosmetically different, but looks the same number of teeth.

I'm hoping the other parts are interchangeable because I want to have common spares with my fleet (now five). I'm a little worried because some retailers are listing "new" of all the parts - including the head and blades).

BTW: If anyone wants to turn one of their orange corters back to it's pristine vintage state, like I did, rcroanoake says they have a limited supply of "coRter" canopies. I ordred a few.
Thanks to whoever gave the pointer. I've been asking everyone who sells canopies and hadn't found anyone who had "originals".
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Try cleaning the battery contacts on the copter. q-tip and isopropyl should work.
Gently "lift" them with someting - tiny screwdriver) - to bow them up slightly so they make more contact with the battery.
Make sure there is nothing kepping the batteries from seating properly (modl flash etc).
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Except for parts like the tail boom which are glued in place... still need to order a replacement for that one!
Oddly enough, two of my fleet suffered the same fate within a day of each other.
One has a lot more time than the other, so I'm puzzled about the coincidence.

They both broke the tail boom at the main frame.
Major PITA to fix.

Unsolder tail motor wires. pull out.
Use copious CA remover to get tail boom out.
Thread tail wires through spare tail booms.
I didn't glue the new ones in. They are a powerfull friction fit.
Resolder the tail motor wires (not for amateur solderers).

All in all, probably three hours hunched over the big magnifier...

Between the cost of parts and the time, a BNF would be way cheaper. And you get new motors with that. And your old one becomes a spare purts source in your junkyard.

And then, within an hour, one of the tail motors failed... argh!
Next time I replace a tail boom, I'm putting in a new tail motor at the same time!
And then the main motor on the other died.
(on both, I opened them up and the brushes were worn out. There was black dust all over that looked like burned up brushes/commutator. The motors are kind of cool in that the rotor is hollow and the magnets are inside the coils, rather than outside!)

My wife thinks I'm crazy. And she's right.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
It's strange that when I plug the battery in, the LED does not blink at all, it just glows at about half brightness.
If the suggestion RicksterRC made above about the battery contacts doesn't work, then she's probably toast (PCB problem).

I emailed Banggood about my 1/2 DOA BNF V911 ... no word back yet.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
The ring is needed so I had to put it back. I picked a slightly shorter screw and trimmed the ring as shown below:

The left is the original untrimmed ring while the right is the trimmed one. The ring still rubs the swashplate but it is not as bad as before.
I checked out my V911 and it doesn't have this problem. The screw is close to the swash plate, but doesn't actually make contact and I have my throws set at 120% on my 9X. Yes I actually get full movement with out going past the stops on the servos. I think it may just be production tolerances, I got one that is close to what it is suppose to be, while yours is at the other end of the tolerances. I would be interested to see just how many of the V911s here have the same problem as yours. There aren't even any sort of wear marks on the bottom of my swash or the top of the collar of mine.
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives