Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:36 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
It's clear that the battery wires are soldered on incorrectly. The positive and negative wires are reversed.I just don't know how your heli even turned on in the first place given how it's wired.

You can see the V+. That's where the red wire from the motor and battery should be soldered to. The V- next to it should be where the black battery wire go. ArcFaults picture also confirms this fact.
Same observation and same question here. IIRC, the owner flew it for a day before this happened. What we can't see is if the wires are also reversed at the battery connector end. If they were, then it was just a bad choice of wire color, but electrically sound.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
I ordered a 2nd V911 so I'll have to wait for it's arrival as well as some spare parts to try and revive the original bird... if I'm unsuccessful then I'll have to use it for spare parts and education.
Dibs, Ken.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:06 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Dibs, Ken.
Heli Pad, Did you order one of those HCW 537s ??

i figure mine might arrive this week with a little luck.

Still wanting to start building 4-channel experience.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
TX / Radio Info for Dummies

OK, I know a little about Helis and less about the TX.
Someone did respond to my search for a TX Thread(Forum) but the one supplied is way over my head so I'm still in search of somewhere that one can learn the basics, get some questions answered then try to get up to speed. It appears the TX can be even more complicated and sophisticated then the Heli itself.

I need TX for dummies, an introduction to this new world.

For example. I own two 2.4 GHz TX, why wouldn't they work on the other 2.4 GHz Heli or any 2.4 Heli?

What's the underlying protocols or formats that allow a Turnigy 9X to work with a variety of Helis?

When you buy a Turnigy (or clone) what are these modules they are talking about?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:53 PM
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
Hi guys, what battery are you using? What fly time do you get from stock batteries? I am flying 2minutes normal, than 3 minutes very close to ground. I am using T9X transmitter. Are batteries close to death? Motor gets very hot after flight - more than 50C, is this normal?
DaggyMAC is offline Find More Posts by DaggyMAC
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Heli Pad, Did you order one of those HCW 537s ??
Quote:
OK, I know a little about Helis and less about the TX.
Someone did respond to my search for a TX Thread(Forum) but the one supplied is way over my head so I'm still in search of somewhere that one can learn the basics, get some questions answered then try to get up to speed. It appears the TX can be even more complicated and sophisticated then the Heli itself.
Ken, no I don't have extra $ for a HCW 537. I'm saving $ for your v911, remember?

I know how you feel around those Tx threads. I'm lost there, too. Someone once referred those as "threads for smart people". I hate to admit it, but I think he's right. I'm not smart enough to participate in those threads. But I admire their work for sure. It's a good thing that I have a smart buddy nearby to help me, if you know what I mean.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,193 Posts
@DaggyMAC,

Sounds like a bad motor. If your flight time is short. And the motor is really hot afterwards. Then you need a new motor. Heli Pad received a 9958 with a bummed motor and it had the same symptoms. Perhaps if you squeeze some lubricant into the motor or bushing, you can get by a little longer.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Are you talking about my "WinterFlyer"? Yeah, I gave it a name. It flew great on a cold winter night. 6 minutes before the battery quit. Daryoon was there, too.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,193 Posts
LOL. Yeah! WinterFlyer. Nice. It needs to be painted all white.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
211 Posts
Hey guys,

So my V911 arrived today.

As someone else already mentioned, the packaging box comes with a handle and makes for a nice carrying case. The set sits in a plastic mold instead of foam, which is nice b/c you skip having to get those little foam particles electrostatically attached to the Tx or your hands...

Looking at the pics on the web, I wasn't sure if the Tx LCD is backlit by a blue LED or polymer film, but apparently, it's worthy of being the "Indiglo" function in a Timex watch...

So, I managed to drain the stock batteries on the first go without a hitch. One battery had a connector that was slightly wider than the other and needed an additional push to get it into the heli's adapter, but it's not a real problem.

Anyone starting out with a 3Ch cheapie knows that even for a cheapie, the canopy is well built. But for a 4Ch, there's too much weight in the heli to allow for a 3Ch-thick canopy. But, OMG, the V911 is my first micro 4Ch heli that comes with a *real* canopy. (My first 4Ch was the coaxial Freespirit Micro from Nine Eagles --- the canopy was so thin, you'd think it was molded by heating up the thinnest part of a recycled coke plastic bottle --- consequently the sharp corner of the Rx managed to chip away a piece of the canopy on the third crash of the Freespirit, no so with the V911). Once again, I must applaud WL for the canopy b/c it's worthy of being the canopy of a Hirobo Quark when scaled down to this size...

Another nice feature is that the flybar on the V911 is uber thick (means less breakage in crash) and is screwed to the rotor head (not losely connected via hinges) so that it doesn't come off in a crash. Contrast this to my Freespirit where the flybar comes off in the slightessy crash and it's a hasle to have to stand under a bright light to reconnect it...

Also, I like how the kids are elastic and springy and act as a nice shock absorber on crash.

The one bad I've found so far wit the V911 is that the Tx emits a rather loud beeping noise until it binds to the heli... Wish the sound was softer.

Now, some people have complained about a noisy heli. Personally I thought that the heli sounded just as loud, if not a bit quieter than my coaxial Freespirit Micro.

I was able to get into a hover and perform several pirouettes on the first battery --- and this is after I'ved tallied about 2.5 hrs total flying experience to date on a 4Ch micro heli. The heli did develop trimming issues after the battery was near drained, but this is to be expected of all 4Ch micro helis.

When you factor in all the hasles that come from another brand post-crash, the fun factor is definitely there with the V911. I highly recommend this heli to any one thinking of getting this as their first 4Ch single rotor blade micro heli!

Summary:

Pros:
=> Box acts as carrying case
=> Evenly lit blue LCD
=> Space-saving Tx stands upright instead of lying down flat
=> Canopy is polished and glossy (just like in the advertisements).
=> Well built parts that are well-connected
=> Extremely responsive rudder
=> Stable hover
=> ++++Fun factor
=> Skids are elastic and springy (act as shock absorbers on crash => heli does bounce on crash (trampoline effect) --- definitely a good thing!)
=> Tail fin is flexible and paper-thin (crash-resistant), yet remains straightened against mild wind.
=> Good gyro: Can go at full FF head speed in living room with little experience.

Cons:
=> Loud beeping Tx pre-bind.
=> Tx LCD will read "Mode 1" when it's in fact in Mode 2.
=> 6 AA batteries required for Tx (con for using rechargeables since they are sold as 4 or 8 packs).
=> Might need metalic swash plate for Solo Pro V2 to have more precision and/or to avoid plate separation (a $7-9 investment).
=> Tail rotor/motor makes a really funny "reving" up noise.
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Last edited by gettinglucky; Jan 09, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,193 Posts
Thanks for the observations gettinglucky. Seems spot on.

I believe the paper thin canopy on the other hobby grade helis is to keep the weight down. But they do crack very easily. At least you don't own a mSR. Their's crack easily and cost $11 to replace.

Weighing my mSR canopy against the 9958. The mSR came in at 2g and the 9958 comes in at 3g. However, the 9958's canopy is near indestructible.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
It's a good thing that I have a smart buddy nearby to help me, if you know what I mean.
So, if you rely on your smart friends for help in these matters...
and you are My Smart Friend...
I'm really down on the old totum then
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:53 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerbreak View Post
Hey guys can you please post some screenshots of your V911 receiver so I and others can compare...it looks like a few posts up that someone else's receiver terminals are wired differently than mine. If you compare these photos, the battery terminals are wired wrong...as long as red is going to the positive on battery. On mine...which looks to be wired wrong...see the + and -. The next thing I'd like to know is when you have the receiver facing the ceiling..and looking from the bottom, what side is the red terminal on..mine's on the left...is that how all of you others' are.
Wow ... those two are wired up completely different. Guess the guy who built your heli just hired in that day , and it was his first solder job.

Quote:
Same observation and same question here. IIRC, the owner flew it for a day before this happened. What we can't see is if the wires are also reversed at the battery connector end. If they were, then it was just a bad choice of wire color, but electrically sound.
Could be they used the wrong colored wire, but it's wired correctly. Maybe the guy who put that heli together is color blind.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Jan 09, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Quote:
So, if you rely on your smart friends for help in these matters...
and you are My Smart Friend...
I'm really down on the old totum then
Well, I'm not so sure that I'm your smart friend. Let's just say that you and I both have a lot to learn, and there is no place to go but UP from where we are. Fair enough?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
Croatia, County of Zagreb, Velika Gorica
Joined Dec 2011
139 Posts
Spares parts - BangGood prices?
Package 1:
WL V911 Ascend and Descend Helicopter part - Price:US$1.29
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...t-p-38485.html

Package 2:
2 x WL V911 Landing Skids Helicopter Ascend and Descend part - Price:US$2.99
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-2-...t-p-38571.html

Simple math:
if you buy 2 x Package 1 you'll have 2 Landing Skids per 2 x US$1.29 = US$2.58
if you buy 1 x Package 2 you'll have 2 Landing Skids per 1 x US$2.99 = US$2.99

Way if you buy twice time package with one Lending Skids they are chipper than if you buy one package with two Lending Skids in package? Can anybody to explain what's point???
nick007shadow is offline Find More Posts by nick007shadow