HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHavana View Post
Is that really the manufacturer's fault? How many hard crashes should a heli be able to withstand?

I'm not saying you shouldn't send it back, just asking a question.
I would say more then 1-lol
mustangman65_79 is offline Find More Posts by mustangman65_79
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 05:23 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
key cam experiment

Several people have tried to mount a mini cam to the v911 already. Here's my data point. I have the so called 808 #11, I bought it for the purpose of recording the heli flying, not for on-board recording, but I figured what the heck. Opened the case and this is what it looks like (first pic), the battery is conveniently connected via the same connector used on eflite-type batteries. I just happen to have an extension piece lying around (second pic), so I hooked it up so the camera gets power from the heli battery (after double checking polarity and voltage compatibility).

Well, it works in theory, but as another member has found, the v911 is just too wobbly, shuddery, or what ever. See for yourselves.
808 #11 key cam recording on-board v911 (0 min 11 sec)

But at least I know in a pinch, I can use eflite type batteries for the camera. Might come in handy during travel.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old May 15, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Feb 2007
534 Posts
I didn't think that video was too bad. I'd like to see outdoor video from higher up over neighbors houses and stuff. On the Walkera ladybird thread there is a setup with live video transmitted so you can fly first person. Pretty small setup. I just ordered a different small camera, not sure how good for quality but it was only $10. Weighs .5 ounce plan to remove case so it should be less, will try on V911 ans maybe my plane.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old May 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
I didn't think that video was too bad. I'd like to see outdoor video from higher up over neighbors houses and stuff. On the Walkera ladybird thread there is a setup with live video transmitted so you can fly first person. Pretty small setup. I just ordered a different small camera, not sure how good for quality but it was only $10. Weighs .5 ounce plan to remove case so it should be less, will try on V911 ans maybe my plane.
MY V911 would not controlably lift my 808. the 328 does well
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old May 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
I think the best FP for mounting a camera is the 9958, that one is so smooth and vibration-free. In fact, I believe I've read on that thread someone has already done that successfully.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,112 Posts
Onboard video

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Several people have tried to mount a mini cam to the v911 already.
I'm utterly amazed at the video quality! It's waaayyy better than mine. Perhaps your heli is still new, still in very good condition. My V911 vibrates too much.

What is the resolution of the video file?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old May 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Several people have tried to mount a mini cam to the v911 already. Here's my data point. I have the so called 808 #11, I bought it for the purpose of recording the heli flying, not for on-board recording, but I figured what the heck. Opened the case and this is what it looks like (first pic), the battery is conveniently connected via the same connector used on eflite-type batteries. I just happen to have an extension piece lying around (second pic), so I hooked it up so the camera gets power from the heli battery (after double checking polarity and voltage compatibility).
Good job mounting the #11 on the V911 stonecutter, and nice wiring of the power to it too. I'm suprised the wee bugger lifted the pkg and gave usable video. I'll have to get my bricked #11 replaced so I can play too. lol
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old May 16, 2012, 12:13 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I'm utterly amazed at the video quality! It's waaayyy better than mine. Perhaps your heli is still new, still in very good condition. My V911 vibrates too much.

What is the resolution of the video file?
The #11 records in HD, 720p format. There are numerous reviews of it on youtube. I'm also impressed with the video quality of this little dvr. As far as using it as an on-board recorder, I don't think it's going to work, I'll get dizzy watching the playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Good job mounting the #11 on the V911 stonecutter, and nice wiring of the power to it too. I'm suprised the wee bugger lifted the pkg and gave usable video. I'll have to get my bricked #11 replaced so I can play too. lol
Thanks for the compliment. I think having a short flybar helped to reduce the energy consumption of lifting the heli, plus the v911 main motor was pretty powerful to begin with IMO, the longest flight I had with the camera (turned off for flight testing) was maybe 2-3 minutes. Controllability doesn't seem to be an issue, but still I was very careful (don't want to crash/trash new camera).

BTW, does "bricked" means you tried to erase the time stamp on an old version? like the guy on that youtube review mentioned ?
Last edited by stonecutter; May 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:46 AM
New Zealand
Joined May 2012
44 Posts
I'm waiting for my v911 (my first heli) to arrive. I noticed that focalprice.com have just listed a full range of spares at what seems to be reasonable prices, might be useful to someone who's looking.
1984 is offline Find More Posts by 1984
Old May 16, 2012, 03:56 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1 View Post
thats the trouble that i have.
Getting the wires out of the boom.
I pulled the wires out before thinking too much about it (dang!) then tried a decent soak of acetone on the glued-in tail boom, but I still couldn't soften the glue enough to remove the boom.

New wires were OK to push through the boom, but wouldn't turn the corner to exit at the main frame. Ended up drilling a ~1.5mm hole on the opposite side of the boom/mount to where the wires usually exit, plus drilled back into the boom cavity at about 45 degrees, to help them out. Then with them pushed up to the main frame, I was able to push them out of the boom with a small screwdriver.

Also turned the tail motor around (reverse motor, reverse the tail rotor, and reverse the soldered connections on the receiver. I forget who suggested this mod but it flies just as well as standard, and the wires aren't so exposed.

Green colour on rotor is from tree trimming!
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old May 16, 2012, 04:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingboats View Post
I pulled the wires out before thinking too much about it (dang!) then tried a decent soak of acetone on the glued-in tail boom, but I still couldn't soften the glue enough to remove the boom.

New wires were OK to push through the boom, but wouldn't turn the corner to exit at the main frame. Ended up drilling a ~1.5mm hole on the opposite side of the boom/mount to where the wires usually exit, plus drilled back into the boom cavity at about 45 degrees, to help them out. Then with them pushed up to the main frame, I was able to push them out of the boom with a small screwdriver.

Also turned the tail motor around (reverse motor, reverse the tail rotor, and reverse the soldered connections on the receiver. I forget who suggested this mod but it flies just as well as standard, and the wires aren't so exposed.

has anyone tried M.E.K as a solvent on the glue?? its stronger then acetone. might be worth a try.
stormheli is offline Find More Posts by stormheli
Old May 16, 2012, 05:10 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingboats View Post

That was me Do you notice any difference in FFF and the ability to tilt forward?
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old May 16, 2012, 05:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,112 Posts
Flybar without weights

Had a massive flybar strike and one of the flybar weights disappeared into the wilderness! I have no choice but to remove the other weight and fly w/o weights. Not too bad!
Old May 16, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,112 Posts
Banking left after a crash

After a crash the bird kept banking left and I have to electronically trim aileron right. I wonder what had went out of place or damaged... but the immediate fix appeared to lengthen the push rod connecting to the left servo (when you look at the tail). I unwound the push rod 3 times and fixed the problem but the crash couldn't have wounded (shortened) the push rod 3 times.

What could have gone misaligned?
Old May 16, 2012, 05:56 AM
My toilet water has TBE
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Had a massive flybar strike and one of the flybar weights disappeared into the wilderness! I have no choice but to remove the other weight and fly w/o weights. Not too bad!
Is it not simply amazing how, when a part is shed, the wilderness is so quick to claim it?
I had an 'unscheduled landing' in my garden a few weeks ago that claimed a tail rotor blade. After two days of poring over the crash location, it showed up on the third day, right where the copter had landed. And this was just a glance walking by. That rotor blade went into the ether and was graciously returned by whatever powers that control it.
I'm interested in how you decide on whether you like no weights in the long run. We are spinning some weight on those flybars!
stickman0236 is offline Find More Posts by stickman0236