HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stifa View Post
I'm an absolute beginner ,flying only 3ch coaxial till now, and 2 weeks ago I ordered my first V911 from BG .
While waiting impatiently for the package, I visit quite often this forum , and suddenly I realized that most of the latest posts are about V911 problems - some related to design flaws (FB strikes) , and some related to QC issues .
So now I'm thinking : did I make the right choice ? As a beginner , I don't have the knowledge or the will to do fixes and mods just to make the heli work .
What do you think ?
Must of us are having problems due to flying aggressively. Once you learn the controls, you start trying to make harder maneuvers.

Out of all the heli's I have bought so far, this one has taken the most abuse, with the least amount of downtime to fix.

Ok, so you guys were talking about replacing the motor is the gear is wearing out. What is the best motor to get? Or just stay with a v911 motor?

http://www.ampmodel.com/wlv91117-main-motor-p-4250.html
mustangman65_79 is offline Find More Posts by mustangman65_79
Last edited by mustangman65_79; May 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: because 360 seconds is too long to wait to make another post on a different topic.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 12:27 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman65_79 View Post
Must of us are having problems due to flying aggressively. Once you learn the controls, you start trying to make harder maneuvers.

Out of all the heli's I have bought so far, this one has taken the most abuse, with the least amount of downtime to fix.

Ok, so you guys were talking about replacing the motor is the gear is wearing out. What is the best motor to get? Or just stay with a v911 motor?

http://www.ampmodel.com/wlv91117-main-motor-p-4250.html
You want the Bravo SX motor (I got the black cap from AmpModel and have been very pleased with the results).

http://www.ampmodel.com/ne402320013a...et-p-3965.html
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Sep 2007
477 Posts
Well, I got some SP CF main shafts and put one on one of my copters (I have 3 1/2 now).

It was a PITA to install. The ends were flared due to cracks.
It looked like it was made without enough resin and had cracks longitudinal most of the length.
One two of three, the uppor hole was simply a slot that went to the end

After installing, there was drag/binding that I couldn't find the source of.
There seemed to be enough up/down play that I don't think it was putting pressure on the main bearings.

Anyone make a third party SP/V911 CF shaft that's higher quality?

I know it saves almost a gram, but I'm worried about the drag and it seems awful fragile.
Time will tell.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; May 12, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,077 Posts
I'd heard a lot about the 808 #11 key cam, so I got one to see for myself. $30 on ebay, plus about $7 for a micro SD card. Well worth the money. Anyway, had a few minutes to kill while the wife is out running errands.

This is my red one, with short paddled flybar (all mine are set up that way now), and eflite type battery inside canopy.

v911 with short flybar and paddles (4 min 6 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old May 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
Well, I got some SP CF main shafts and put one on one of my copters (I have 3 1/2 now).

It looked like it was made without enough resin and had cracks longitudinal most of the length.

There seemed to be enough up/down play that I don't think it was putting pressure on the main bearings.

I know it saves almost a gram, but I'm worried about the drag and it seems awful fragile.
Time will tell.
the main shaft?

If it was me, I'd just stay with the stock metal one.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I'd heard a lot about the 808 #11 key cam, so I got one to see for myself. $30 on ebay, plus about $7 for a micro SD card. Well worth the money. Anyway, had a few minutes to kill while the wife is out running errands.

This is my red one, with short paddled flybar (all mine are set up that way now), and eflite type battery inside canopy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqT73...ature=youtu.be
Did you get my PM asking about where you got that balance bar?
Old May 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post

Well, I am two for two with cracked SP260 main shafts too. but the hole for the rotor head really was a hole! (did you get shafts with rotor head still installed and had to remove the rotor head??)

In this respect I was actually more lucky than you - after being a PITA to install and severe tinkering the shaft actually worked fine ... at least that was the first impression ... Actually, my V911 even got more quiet after installing the CF main shaft. (then again, I did a LOT more modding than that ...

someone makes a jig so that you can make your own shafts (>if you are enough of a craftsman to do so ...) - I think it was on the hacksmods website that Daryoon links to once in a while ...

Time will tell.
Yes, it does save almost a gram, and it shouldnt really be significantly more fragile than the stock one .... I would claim if you fly indoors, its a really good mod, outdoors I am not so convinced (there a little more weight cant hurt ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old May 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman65_79 View Post
Did you get my PM asking about where you got that balance bar?
Sorry, just read it and replied. They are stock flybars, cut to size (allow 1/4 inch each end for going into paddles). Good luck.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan.kichizi View Post
Thanks! I had to set the throttle subtrim at -45 before it stopped completely at zero throttle. The throttle and aileron didn't need to be reversed, but the elevator did! Fascinating (/spock).

Is this common knowledge about what needs to be done to the V911/transmitter? In my limited experience so far, I've learned about reversing channels, but I have not yet played with subtrim. Thank you again!
I was only going from memory, like I said my transmitter batteries are dead, I really need to get a LiFe pack for it because with the back light it chews through AAs like there is no tomorrow
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives
Old May 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHavana View Post
Thanks for the replies regarding the FlySky FS-CT6B Tx. Although there was one positive reply, I think I'll go with the general consensus and just do the resistor mode on the stock Tx. I don't really want to spend the money on a 9x Tx, so I'll just buy a cheap USB Tx to use for flight sim.

Well I've got the V911 on it's way with a spare BNF + spare batteries etc, but have yet to order some of the spares and upgrades for it. Could someone confirm I'm on the right track with the following please?

Main Gear (Black Delrin) (Solo Pro) XNE010 - Miracle Mart http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7335

NE4260011 Main Shaft for Nine Eagles 260A solo pro - ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1207691703...ht_1757wt_1037
Not 100% sure if this is the carbon fibre version?

Flybar Rod Solo Pro 260 XNE006-A http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7037
Seems most places are out of stock. Found one or two sites that have the flybar with weights, but it's $14 delivered to UK and I don't want to spend extra for the weights if I'm not going to use them.

MSR paddles MSR005-B http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8593

Nine Eagles Bravo SX/320A Motor NE402320013A ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1108748452...ht_1261wt_1037

Then again, do I really need to get this stuff, especially if I'm getting a BNF for spares?
Why not just try to enjoy the heli as is (i.e., stock) first. Then when you get bored, gradually add and mod to your liking. If you mod the heck out of it the moment it arrives, you wouldn't know whether the result is an improvement or not. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Crap. My first big crash and the stupid tail motor popped out. When it did it pulled the wires right out of the back of the motor where they go in, so I can't simply reattach them. I'm going to try getting a couple of very small sewing needles and shoving them into the spots where the wires go in, then attach the wires to the eye holes on the needles. I've already ordered another tail motor from banggood, but I'd rather not wait 2-3 weeks for it to come in considering I just got the heli yesterday.
kbohip is offline Find More Posts by kbohip
Old May 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
Crap. My first big crash and the stupid tail motor popped out. When it did it pulled the wires right out of the back of the motor where they go in, so I can't simply reattach them. I'm going to try getting a couple of very small sewing needles and shoving them into the spots where the wires go in, then attach the wires to the eye holes on the needles. I've already ordered another tail motor from banggood, but I'd rather not wait 2-3 weeks for it to come in considering I just got the heli yesterday.
Glue gun is my friend.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old May 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Why not just try to enjoy the heli as is (i.e., stock) first. Then when you get bored, gradually add and mod to your liking. If you mod the heck out of it the moment it arrives, you wouldn't know whether the result is an improvement or not. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but I will be flying outside too + would certainly like to avoid flybar strikes for example.

I wouldn't necessarily mod everything straight away or as I've got 2 coming I could mod one and keep the other stock. Having said that, only the CF main shaft and flybar with paddles are mods. The main gears and motor are just spares, which if required will save me 2 - 4 weeks waiting time.
MrHavana is offline Find More Posts by MrHavana
Old May 12, 2012, 03:23 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,077 Posts
MrHavana, the xtreme CF flybar rod is known to be pretty fragile, it will snap in two after some crashes. (Ask me how I know.) An alternative is to install the paddles on the stock flybar. This is described in MassiveOverkill's blog (I hope it's still there), as well as buried in this thread somewhere. This is what I do now, I ilke a shorter flybar, so I just cut the weights off and jam the paddles in from the larger holes on the other side of the paddles (not the hole where the CF rod goes). Good luck.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Thanks, guess I'll do that then. The CF flybar seems to be out of stock everywhere anyway. Plus I got a couple of extra stock flybars coming with the BNF.

Is this the right tail motor to get as a spare. A few people recommend the Bravo Sx part, but I can't seem to find the motor on it's own.
MrHavana is offline Find More Posts by MrHavana