Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
A pic of my office fleet. The blue one is a little beat up, but it's actually the better flyer (more 'broken' in, literally). I think the short flybar would do well in wind, judging from the degree the heli can tilt, though I don't fly outside very often.

v911 with shortened flybar and paddles, spare blades (0 min 41 sec)
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
well, as far as my personal experience is concerned, I will claim that getting a flysky th9x was the single best mod that i did to my v911! in my perception nothing comes even remotely close to the improvement one gets over using the stock tx and I have not regretted a cent of the 100$ that I spent on it (it flies other helis too ...)

but of course this is just one opinion among many ...
Yup I concur, my variant of the 9X, CopterX CX-CT9A, is the best mod I could do for my V911, and it is going to control my big bird as well for the time being. I figure if I am going to drop close to a grand into a helicopter I should really get an equivalent Tx so I am looking at a couple in the $500 range. and the CX-CT9A will stay with the V911 and maybe a homemade plane and a HK250 in the future.
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives
Old May 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
48 Posts
Full throttle w/o the TX on????

I received my v911 today but when I plug the battery into the heli, it runs at full throttle - without the TX being turned on. I can't even adjust the throttle even with the TX on. It scared the $#!@ out of me at first lol.

I thought maybe the board was funky, or maybe something going on with the speed controller, but I only know about RC heli's just enough to be dangerous (i.e., make the situation worse lol).

Any ideas what might be going on? Help would be much appreciated - didn't really see similar issues on this board when I did a forum search.

Thanks!
jetvision1170 is offline Find More Posts by jetvision1170
Old May 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvision1170 View Post
I received my v911 today but when I plug the battery into the heli, it runs at full throttle - without the TX being turned on. I can't even adjust the throttle even with the TX on. It scared the $#!@ out of me at first lol.

I thought maybe the board was funky, or maybe something going on with the speed controller, but I only know about RC heli's just enough to be dangerous (i.e., make the situation worse lol).

Any ideas what might be going on? Help would be much appreciated - didn't really see similar issues on this board when I did a forum search.

Thanks!
Take the canopy off and inspect all the solder joints and wires to look for obvious short circuits.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old May 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
48 Posts
One ting I forgot to mention is that it had "burnt" type of smell to it. If there's a short, how would I recognize it?
jetvision1170 is offline Find More Posts by jetvision1170
Old May 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,274 Posts
@jetvision1170, It does seem like there's a short. So I'd remove the blades, power on and look for any part of the board that runs hot. But since you just purchased it, I'd give feedback to the seller and see if they'd exchange the helicopter out for you. Seems like the board might be defective.
jameschen072 is online now Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Today my new V911 came in. I charged it up and tried to fly it. It took me all the way through the second battery to start to figure it out. It handles a LOT differently than my Double Horse 9116! It's far touchier, meaning it needs a lot less movement on the sticks to make it move. Anyway, after the 6th battery charge, I'm really liking this little bird. It's a lot harder to break than my DH and is easier to fly indoors.

This brings me to my first problem with it though. The batteries do not last AT ALL. I'm seriously lucky to get 3 minutes flying time with this and 3 minutes is not long enough at all! I get much longer flights out of my 9116 and I'm kind of surprised at this. Even with the DH though, I don't get the 8-10 minute flight time that most people seem to get. I think I only get around 6-8 minutes with that one.

Could my horrible battery times be the result of where I live? The elevation here in Colorado Springs is over 6,500', and I know that the air is quite a bit thinner. I'm wondering if I'm on the throttle more to keep it in the air and it's killing the battery faster than it would at sea level or a lower elevation. I first realized the difference the thin air makes here when I bought a home theater projector. These have a fan inside them that cools the bulb. They actually have a high altitude mode that increases the rpm of the fan so that it can move the same amount of air that it does at lower elevations.

Is there anyone here who flies a V911 or any other electric choppers at this elevation? If so, do you experience short battery times as well?
kbohip is offline Find More Posts by kbohip
Old May 11, 2012, 10:46 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
Could my horrible battery times be the result of where I live? The elevation here in Colorado Springs is over 6,500', and I know that the air is quite a bit thinner. I'm wondering if I'm on the throttle more to keep it in the air and it's killing the battery faster than it would at sea level or a lower elevation. I first realized the difference the thin air makes here when I bought a home theater projector. These have a fan inside them that cools the bulb. They actually have a high altitude mode that increases the rpm of the fan so that it can move the same amount of air that it does at lower elevations.
Yep ... I think you're right about the higher elevation requiring more throttle/motor RPM to keep the heli airborne.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
^^^Something else I forgot to mention. The main motor on my 9116 broke after only about 20 flights. I chalked this up to cheap quality or a defect, but I'm now starting to wonder if this will be a recurring theme, both with the V911 and the DH. The result of constant high rpm to keep them in the air.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Hey guys. New here, but enjoy some of the info on here.

I've had my V911 for almost a month now, with TONS of crashes.

But out of all the problems I have had with this heli, is the stupid balance bar. It hits my canopy all the time. I even replaced it and still does it. It has does it so bad, that I have crashed because of it. It dropped from about 20 ft up in the air and cracked my tail shaft.

I seen pics of a shorter bar, and was wonder how do I get it?

Also, I just noticed today, that I broke my antenna off at some point. Lost a lot of range, but not too bad, goes still over 50 ft away. before i got over 100 ft.

Also, I had to replace my nylon gear already(lots of flights) but I see that my brass gear is also wearing out, where do I get another one?
mustangman65_79 is offline Find More Posts by mustangman65_79
Last edited by mustangman65_79; May 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Ok, just timed 4 different flights. They were all only about 2 minutes before the battery went dead. Something has got to be wrong here.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
90 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the left lower corner of the PCB? One of the motor wire broke off and I am not sure to which pod it should go. I have a green PCB unlike the PCB in the first post.
eagle75 is offline Find More Posts by eagle75
Old May 12, 2012, 12:35 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
Ok, just timed 4 different flights. They were all only about 2 minutes before the battery went dead. Something has got to be wrong here.
I'm pretty sure it's the extreme altitude and thin air. There have been a couple of guys living at high altitude with S107 co-axial helis that also said their flight times were pretty short compared to other people at lower altitude. If you ever have a chance to fly it at the bottom of the mountain, then maybe you can see that's probably the issue.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
I got the V911 today, and I've bound it with a new, unmodified Turnigy 9x. In short, my problem is that when the throttle stick is all the way down, the heli is still spinning the rotors.

As I increase the throttle on the TX, the heli responds correctly, but I can't make it do nothing when I have the TX at zero throttle.

When I go to "display" on the Turnigy 9X, the throttle channel shows what looks like it's on "throttle hold", that is, when the throttle stick is centered, the bar graph shows zero, and then it goes negative if I bring the stick down and positive if I bring the stick up. I don't know if that's pertinent to my problem, but I don't know how to change it either.

I don't have any other transmitter I could use on the V911, and I don't have any other heli I could use with the 9X transmitter.

Do I need to somehow calibrate my transmitter, or did I get a faulty V911?
Jonathan.kichizi is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan.kichizi
Old May 12, 2012, 12:57 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvision1170 View Post

Thanks!
Hey, I don't know much, but you should start by not having the heli on except when the transmitter it's bound to is on. In other words, bind it right away, and then always turn the TX first and turn it off last.
Jonathan.kichizi is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan.kichizi