HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:43 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
Where did you get the Copterx TX? And how much? I want to get one but they say the Turnigy 9XR is coming. But I don't think I want to wait that long. 😄
I got it from RC Helicopter Select $118 Canadian dollars and then I paid the extra for EMS shipping so after taxes and such it was 139.79 Canadian. Its worth the extra for EMS shipping, I ordered on the 10th and it was here today. Now I am waiting for my Chaos 600, if I hadn't ordered that I would have just stuck with the stock Tx. I am not sure if I am going to get into all the other hacks and upgrades fr the CopterX Tx, I don't think I will need them
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,071 Posts
It's one of those properties to know and understand for the modder, tinkerer. So they can fine tune to their liking. The recommended action depends on what you're trying to achieve.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
Daryoon I got the idea when I was looking for some motors for the S107G, I found a site that had various micro motors of the same size, but with various resistances, like 1.7Ohm, 2.3Ohm, 3.3Ohm and I figure that must mean a different magnetic field, different revs etc. I thought I could measure the V911 motors resistance and then we could compare them to other motors and possibly measure thrust etc. I'm not too good at electronics to say what the resistance of the motors actually means to the helis flying.
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:54 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
Lighter weight is always better indoors, outdoors........in windy conditions, being heavier can make you more stable.

A lighter boom and anything hung off of it is always better, but having your tail rotor further out gives it more authority, so it's a catch-22. This is why EQMOD did a shaft-driven mod with the tail motor being close to the frame, giving better center of gravity, and having a lighter tail since the motor isn't hung off of it.

I'd like to do a shaft driven tail motor mod, but now that I think of it, I think it may be easier to do some sort of vectored thrust mod. Simply mount the tail rotor somewhere on the frame, and attach an appropriate smaller ducted-fan, and use a straw or tube to direct the exhaust to the boom.

I wonder how big the smallest DC squirrel cage fan is.

Hmmmmm:

http://www.sunon.com/pro2.php?c1=10&c2=2
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Could we kind of summarize what the recommended action is, based on all the information that gets passed along at the moment??
moral of the story: if you lighten the tail move battery aft. if tail gets heavier move it fore. bigger batteries are better than adding dead weights. using this philosophy i was able to lighten my syma enough to change 7 min flight time to 22 min. motors did not over-heat as predicted by some.

low ohms motors draw more power and require a lower voltage to stay cool. they will generally have a shorter life than high resistance ones. also note that there are core and coreless types, the latter being more efficient for a given weight.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:58 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
ok, so what is the actual "lesson" to be learned from this??

light is good (ie better) - but not necessarily always?? You need to actually cut the longer than standard boom of the V911 short?? You have to move the CG without adding weight?? All of the above??

Could we kind of summarize what the recommended action is, based on all the information that gets passed along at the moment??

My opinion from personal experience with the S107 main motor as a replacement for a stock tail motor is don't do it.

Lighter is faster and quicker, but outdoors it will suck once you go past a certain point. What is it? I don't know and wont find out because I am not modding my V911, it works good enough for me and the new Tx takes care of any little issues with the rudder.

If you fly mainly outdoors, only add weight at the center of gravity, the flybar, or nose. Keep in mind there is a line to cross there too. Once you cross it the loss of flying time, speed and lift isn't worth the trouble.

I love my little CoRter, but I fly mainly outdoors. I decided to buy a larger helicopter for outdoor fun and keep the V911 for indoors and fair weather. Yes when I said larger I went a little overboard, the V911 is basically a 100 size heli and I ordered a 600. Sizing is pretty much the length of a rotor blade, the V911 has as I measure it a 94mm blade, the Chaos has a 600mm blade, thats an 53" rotor disc if you count the head and the ready to fly weight jumps from 32g to about 3000g.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Mason Knives View Post
My opinion from personal experience with the S107 main motor as a replacement for a stock tail motor is don't do it.

Lighter is faster and quicker, but outdoors it will suck once you go past a certain point. What is it? I don't know and wont find out because I am not modding my V911, it works good enough for me and the new Tx takes care of any little issues with the rudder.

If you fly mainly outdoors, only add weight at the center of gravity, the flybar, or nose. Keep in mind there is a line to cross there too. Once you cross it the loss of flying time, speed and lift isn't worth the trouble.

I love my little CoRter, but I fly mainly outdoors. I decided to buy a larger helicopter for outdoor fun and keep the V911 for indoors and fair weather. Yes when I said larger I went a little overboard, the V911 is basically a 100 size heli and I ordered a 600. Sizing is pretty much the length of a rotor blade, the V911 has as I measure it a 94mm blade, the Chaos has a 600mm blade, thats an 53" rotor disc if you count the head and the ready to fly weight jumps from 32g to about 3000g.
Perhaps I should borrow your mod'ed CoRter since mine hasn't been doing well in the wind. Well I am just 45 minutes away. You probably won't need your small birds once you get your flying lawn mower going.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post

Hmmmmm:

Not to discourage you, but

Fans get WAY less efficient as they get smaller.
One half the size puts out WAY less than the 1/4 you would expect.

Think celing fan. They move an enormous amount of air with very little power.

Though I think a NOTAR V911 would be fantastic!
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Perhaps I should borrow your mod'ed CoRter since mine hasn't been doing well in the wind. Well I am just 45 minutes away. You probably won't need your small birds once you get your flying lawn mower going.
My V911 is UNmodded and I think I will be still using it a fair amount when the wind is blowing too hard , or I can't get to an area that is big enough to take the flying mower of death into the air

In reality I wont have the big one built up for about another month and a half, right now all I have is the radio for it, the helicopter and the 2 gyros (one came with the kit, one for spending over $300) are still in transit. I don't expect them till the end of next week or early the week after. then its $150 worth of servos, $250 for motor and ESC, and $300+ for a good charger and a couple of 6S 5000mah batteries to power the beast.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Lighter weight is always better indoors, outdoors........in windy conditions, being heavier can make you more stable.

A lighter boom and anything hung off of it is always better, but having your tail rotor further out gives it more authority, so it's a catch-22. This is why EQMOD did a shaft-driven mod with the tail motor being close to the frame, giving better center of gravity, and having a lighter tail since the motor isn't hung off of it.

I'd like to do a shaft driven tail motor mod, but now that I think of it, I think it may be easier to do some sort of vectored thrust mod. Simply mount the tail rotor somewhere on the frame, and attach an appropriate smaller ducted-fan, and use a straw or tube to direct the exhaust to the boom.

Hmmmmm:

Wow convert the V911 to a Notar!

MD NOTAR 520N (5 min 40 sec)
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Last edited by Brosol; Apr 20, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:56 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
I wonder how much static pressure our tail rotor assembly puts out at max thrust?
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
When I push up on the cyclic on the TX. Are both of the servos suppose to go down evenly?
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
When I push up on the cyclic on the TX. Are both of the servos suppose to go down evenly?
To fly forward, only the right servo moves down.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Will the tail motor from the 9958 work in the v911?
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
See if the blades "slide" side to side (as a pair) when holding the head.

If so, you have "the shudders".

Disassemble the main blades (two screws).
Fashion a thin washer to go over the pivot pin that holds the main blades.
Reassemble and make sure there is no more play, but not too much binding.

My second CoPter would be fine while manouvering, but in a hover it would shake terribly.
I used a rubber oring from a canopy.
All fixed.
Tried this RicksterRC, made no difference
latestart is offline Find More Posts by latestart