HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yeah, , but see edit. I've given you help.
Thanks,
I'll go fly my new Syma S110G while the batteries recharge for the V911. I've printed out the directions for trimming... we will see if I can tame this beast.
Ken
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Ken, first I'd try and make sure you have it set for the lower of the two rates on the transmitter. This is hard to tell, but it's the top left silver button next to the antenna (they call it the rudder conversion changing button). You can tell you're in the lower rates when the rudder indicator on the transmitter LCD (they call it the diversion tips) only shows 3 bars versus the higher rate of 4 bars. It's a subtle difference, but it'll let you know.

Next, I'd take off from your hand. I find that easier at first when learning to fly a new helicopter. Just give it some throttle until it feels like it'll gently lift away and let it go. Then I'd first try and trim the rudder so that the helicopter doesn't spin. Then I'd trim the elevator to keep it from going backwards. Finally I'd trim the aileron to keep it going from side to side. Don't be afraid to even fly it for 5 seconds and then see what direction it's moving the tail in and trim in the opposite direction, then try again.

This may sound a little basic, if so I apologize. I'd also check that all the head parts of the copter are loose enough to move freely and all the linkages are still connected. Good luck.
sgnelson is offline Find More Posts by sgnelson
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
948 Posts
Ken,

Do this. Your goal is to trim rudder FIRST. If your heli nose turn CCW before take off, shut down throttle and then click right rudder trim button couple times. Increase throttle again to check heli nose direction. Repeat above if necessary.
GTstrudl is offline Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
Yeah it flies much better with a nicely programmed 9x...almost a different experience all together.

Emphasis on putting throttle trim all the way down before binding or youre in for a surprise. Mine flew full throttle from the livingroom to the kitchen, hitting my wife haha.
What's your setup like on your turnigy 9x, would you mind sharing with me? Thanks.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnelson View Post
Ken, first I'd try and make sure you have it set for the lower of the two rates on the transmitter. This is hard to tell, but it's the top left silver button next to the antenna (they call it the rudder conversion changing button). You can tell you're in the lower rates when the rudder indicator on the transmitter LCD (they call it the diversion tips) only shows 3 bars versus the higher rate of 4 bars. It's a subtle difference, but it'll let you know.

Next, I'd take off from your hand. I find that easier at first when learning to fly a new helicopter. Just give it some throttle until it feels like it'll gently lift away and let it go. Then I'd first try and trim the rudder so that the helicopter doesn't spin. Then I'd trim the elevator to keep it from going backwards. Finally I'd trim the aileron to keep it going from side to side. Don't be afraid to even fly it for 5 seconds and then see what direction it's moving the tail in and trim in the opposite direction, then try again.

This may sound a little basic, if so I apologize. I'd also check that all the head parts of the copter are loose enough to move freely and all the linkages are still connected. Good luck.
Thanks for your suggestions and no, I'm to ignorant in the ways of 4-channel to be insulted. I appreciated your tips and hopefully I can get the hang of this. My main fear is that I'm trying to learn to fly a crippled/defective bird.
I was finally able to keep it in the air for more then 5 seconds with your tips (hand take off). I think I've been able to trim the rudder OK, I can usually just sit it on a hard surface, give it some throttle and see if it spins right or left and make adjustments there. Some times I got the shuttering effect the last couple of attempts, not. I shot some video. The strange thing (at least to me) is that when viewing the Heli head on, it might be hovering sort of stable for a few seconds but the entire body of the Heli is leaning to the right!!! Is that normal. It's been that way since the 1st flight. I've only had coaxials before so I thought maybe this is normal but now I'm starting to question this. If you see my video later, check it out when you are viewing it head on.
Again, thanks
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:11 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,268 Posts
cpuken, since you said you're not easily insulted, I'm going to chime in. I find that using thumb and fore-finger to move the sticks (vs using thumb only) makes a big difference in maintaining a hover, and making minute maneuvers.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Ken, yeah, it's normal for the heli to look like it's leaning in the air. I don't quite understand why manufacturer's don't offset their bodies so it at least looks like it doesn't lean in the air, even if then it'd look silly on the ground.

I recommend reading the Solo Pro faq, the solo pro and the v911 are similar enough that a lot of the technical details are the same, and this faq is very well put together.

You can find it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337008
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Ken's V911 Training Video - Episode1

OK, this was the most air time I've yet managed. It was relatively stable compared to previous flight attempts but either it or me needs more work.
For the most part I'm only adjusting the throttle until the very end of the video when I adjust the rudder. This Flight did not display the frequent shuttering I've been experiencing in prior flight attempts. Feedback and suggestions welcome.
Ken

V911 1st almost, successful flight (1 min 3 sec)
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
It appears that you have some TBE (Toilet Bowl Effect) going on. There are different causes and different ways to solve. The best advice I can give you is to make sure your flybar is freely moving, which may entail taking it off (edited to add and putting it back on again, trying to make sure that it moves freely. Or just loosening the screw that holds it a tiny bit.

I'm sure others have some better advice. You may want to read these pages and see if any of this helps:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/toilet-bowl-effect.html

and

http://blog.rc-fever.com/2010/08/21/...t-bowl-effect/

Good luck.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:51 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Ah, so the batteries stick out the back on these? It looks like it's takin' a poop. I prefer the forward mount batteries like in the sp but I guess this kind of mount enables better piros.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:05 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Amp and MyRCMart are the same. The other two also shows half the linkage/mixers, so it doesn't answer my question. Anybody order and receive replacement parts for the v911 yet?
Maybe email Ringo-MyRCMart regarding the V911 parts to clarify?
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnelson View Post
Ken, yeah, it's normal for the heli to look like it's leaning in the air. I don't quite understand why manufacturer's don't offset their bodies so it at least looks like it doesn't lean in the air, even if then it'd look silly on the ground.

I recommend reading the Solo Pro faq, the solo pro and the v911 are similar enough that a lot of the technical details are the same, and this faq is very well put together.

You can find it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337008
sgnelson,
Thanks for the tips, I'll check that out for sure.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Only getting about 3 minutes flight time with each battery

I'm finally able to keep the bad boy in the air now... just trying to hoover, even with the TBE that i can hopefully sort out soon. For now I'm just happy to keep it airborne.
These are some quick flights because I'm getting about 3 minutes off each battery before full throttle won't even keep it off the floor. Heck, my Syma S110G can double that flight time. Since I have two batteries it's not a total lost but 3 min flights make it a little more difficult to trouble shoot the other crap I'm dealing with.

I think I'll quit for the night, be satisfied with my minor victory (keeping it airborne for 3 minutes)
Been pretty much flying it with the left hand only... just to keep my 4-channel education as simple as possible.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2007
11 Posts
del
supermac is offline Find More Posts by supermac
Last edited by supermac; Jan 06, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:51 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
I'm finally able to keep the bad boy in the air now... just trying to hoover, even with the TBE that i can hopefully sort out soon. For now I'm just happy to keep it airborne.
These are some quick flights because I'm getting about 3 minutes off each battery before full throttle won't even keep it off the floor. Heck, my Syma S110G can double that flight time. Since I have two batteries it's not a total lost but 3 min flights make it a little more difficult to trouble shoot the other crap I'm dealing with.

I think I'll quit for the night, be satisfied with my minor victory (keeping it airborne for 3 minutes)
Been pretty much flying it with the left hand only... just to keep my 4-channel education as simple as possible.
3 minutes is very short. The heli this one is based largely on can get 6 minutes from a mere 120 mAh battery. This one uses a 150 mAh, right? Almost sounds like something is binding, causing more resistance on the motor, so you burn energy faster than intended. I know the 911 is heavier than the Solo Pro, but even the Bravo SX which is about 33g with battery can still get 5 minutes with a 150 mAh lipo.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan