New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
WL-Toys, but that was last month..

Quote:
Usually they label integrated circuit as "U1" and "U2". These have a current regulator, a voltage cutoff, and a LED driver..
comparators and dual transistors are also "u" numbered. do you have part numbers or any more info on these?

Quote:
You are getting every V911 worried about overcharging their batteries. Maybe you should suggest that the V911 charger may be OK to use..
ive used nothing but the stock charger myself so far and while it does take considerably less than an hour im not worried. the 240mah i bought to replace them run less than a buck so its not a big concern. so far you seem to be the only one thats really upset by my comments.

Quote:
It takes more than an hour to recharge a battery at 1C if the battery were completely discharged. Maybe you think discharging a battery isn't as bad as charging it. I think different, over-discharging is the number one killer of LiPos..
id suggest one spend time in the battery forum paying special attention to professionals and those with controlled testing experience. not so much the "weekend warriors". research and mfg white papers are another good source for the really curious.

one problem is the average user does not differentiate between loss of capacity and current supply ability. they are not the same. internal resistance plays an important part in the latter. ive determined low discharge is more of a factor there but not not actually related to capacity loss. also how long it remains in that state is important. heat (in this case usually too fast charge) is the real enemy for capacity loss and permanent damage.

personally i fly till my planes and helis slow down and have logged hundreds of cycles on some lipos. never discarded any yet due to performance issues. you of course are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

Quote:
These are 4.20 volt 130mah LiPos. Not some 4S 2200mah 450 class battery.
the chemistry is the same but i agree a diode/resistor circuit would be a poor choice there.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Have you been able to find the data sheet of the ICs onboard?
No. I traced the circuit(s), but haven't pulled numbers off the IC's.

There was some other reason why I opened up the charger, can't remember why. I think I was trying to see if one LiPo would discharge into the other LiPo. They do not and are independent.

Not a good idea to take apart the V911 charger (at least do not lift the PCB). I put it back together five times before I got it working again. The Chinese designs are quite good. They don't skimp on parts, but they do make things that are labor intensive to assemble.
---

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why they didn't make the two circuits on the battery charger identical. Even if it took an extra jumper, two identical circuits would seem easier to design, assemble, and repair. Layout was likely done by a computer.

EDIT
Same circuit, different layout.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Apr 10, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:53 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
My main reasons for going with the 600 is the size makes it more stable, and with the winds we get off the river that is a good thing and that I am going to hitch up a GoPro hd to it. Then there is the little things that really don't mean much in the way of performance, like the sound. I really like the sound of the bigger helicopter

Keep in mind I am a bit of an extremist in my purchases. I wanted a custom knife, but I didn't have the patience to wait for one, so I built a belt grinder and made my own. I decided I wanted a decent watch, so I went out and bought a Citizen Skyhawk AT instead of another Timex. It really helps that I am not married and don't have kids to support. I am not a young guy any more either and at my age I can afford a few toys to play with. You should see my mountain bikes, I went a little over board on them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmito View Post
IMHO 600 parts can be a bit expensive for a learning heli.
Why don't you get something like 450GT from HK, they are dirty cheap.
You can buy 2 for a bit more then 100$, have one for spares.
For another 80$ you can equip the bird, you can even go budget and get a flying 450 for under 100$ !
600 is way more expensive.
Anyway I took the way I recommended to you, one 450 is gonna be in the air next week, just waiting for the pinion and connectors
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaspt View Post
How I agree, I have also purchased a 450, and am learning to hover all over again!

So far 5 lipos down, only 1 crash, nothing broken yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
If you have space, 450 clones and parts would be the cheapest to go. The cheapest kit I ever bought was $17 shipped on ebay.

Just be careful with the bigger bird, we can't catch it by hand when it flies too close.
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
that is another real issue with lipos. do they actually heat up on a v911? i havent noticed.
After a flight with the V911 the lipo's are very warm to the touch. I probably fly longer than I should, basically until it takes almost full throttle to hover. Once I notice that I land. I never charge the lipo right away, but wait at least 20 minutes until it is cooled off. I have 8 batteries with over 50 flights on each with no sign of power loss. You will find the more batteries you have to cycle through, the longer they will last.
new rc heli is offline Find More Posts by new rc heli
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Hey guys! With our grande resistor mods (I'm on my third mod with pots in the mail for a fourth) I came to the idea that maybe the trimmer of the yaw should also be changed?

I remember someone said that if the resistors are not equal, the heli will start to turn left or right? Well in that case let's add a potentiometer and bring the knob to a comfortable location on the remote. I'm not too fond of the clickable silver buttons, not too smooth or convenient. I do like the s107G remote design for trimming yaw or the S110g remotes nice wheel.

Could it be done? What kind of pots?
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:31 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,965 Posts
Does the V911 transmitter have dual rates?

Ah, I checked the first post, I understand it does have these.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andur View Post
add a potentiometer and bring the knob to a comfortable location
As an experiment, turn the transmitter on with a stick off-center and see what happens.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:37 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rc heli View Post
After a flight with the V911 the lipo's are very warm to the touch. I probably fly longer than I should, basically until it takes almost full throttle to hover. Once I notice that I land. I never charge the lipo right away, but wait at least 20 minutes until it is cooled off. I have 8 batteries with over 50 flights on each with no sign of power loss. You will find the more batteries you have to cycle through, the longer they will last.
didnt pay attention to that yet but thanks for the warning. that may be why some people are getting short life. i have a handfull too and dont recharge for maybe a week or two so not a problem. bigger cells (180-240) or higher c will run cooler.

we have similar experience. i swap when things slow down noticeably which from checking with a voltmeter seems to be about 1/3 left like hayabusa. about 4min for the originals and 5-6min for the 240mah replacements. couple minutes more in my s107s. that little built-in protection board prevents serious damage during charging and discharging but the new cells i got dont have that.

ps theres also a warning about leaving lipos full charged but, like too low discharge, that mainly affects current supply ability and not capacity. and you have to leave them like that for a long time to be a problem.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:41 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rc heli View Post
After a flight with the V911 the lipo's are very warm to the touch.
I'm still on my 2 original 120 mah batteries that came with my V911. Have about 110 charges on each battery. They always feel cold after a 5 min flight.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
you really have to be quick and give the "kiss test" to tell with such small cells.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, TX, Galveston
Joined Feb 2012
118 Posts
Anyone know where I can order a v911 tail motor with fast shipping in the US?
PsychoNhere is offline Find More Posts by PsychoNhere
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:35 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoNhere View Post
Anyone know where I can order a v911 tail motor with fast shipping in the US?
The Solo Pro tail motor should fit. Clubheli.com is based in Pennsylvania. It's a generic tail motor; your local hobby shop should have one.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, TX, Galveston
Joined Feb 2012
118 Posts
Thanks Infidel man these tail motors are CRAP or maybe i'm just to rough on em'.
PsychoNhere is offline Find More Posts by PsychoNhere
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,251 Posts
Quote:
No. I traced the circuit(s), but haven't pulled numbers off the IC's.

There was some other reason why I opened up the charger, can't remember why. I think I was trying to see if one LiPo would discharge into the other LiPo. They do not and are independent.

Not a good idea to take apart the V911 charger (at least do not lift the PCB). I put it back together five times before I got it working again. The Chinese designs are quite good. They don't skimp on parts, but they do make things that are labor intensive to assemble.
---

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why they didn't make the two circuits on the battery charger identical. Even if it took an extra jumper, two identical circuits would seem easier to design, assemble, and repair. Layout was likely done by a computer.
I opened up mine, wanted to find out what kind of IC's it uses. I did not find the number on alldatasheet.com. And I forgot the number afterwards for googling it further. Sometimes they only exist on Chinese component sites.

What do you mean that they didn't make the two circuits the same? Are you sure? The IC's may have common pins such that we can wire them up slight different. That would be interesting. Perhaps I should open it up to look at it again.

Regards.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Has anyone had to wait a month to the US from Bang good for the whole V911 package?
Because I am thinking about ordering another one on eBay from "y'all store" lol. Because they are in NY state. But I emailed them and asked if their Heli package was mode1 or mode 2. They sent back a stupid reply that it was a infrared remote. lol. So I probably won't order from them. 😄
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard