HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Most of us here... ...can afford to buy a BMW just to go to the grocery store.
"Ground control to Proud Infidel"

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
The SP 270 is almost double the price of the V911. It doesn't fly that much better than a V911, so paying almost double is unwarranted. The SP 270 dog tracks to the left, the V911 dog tracks to the right.

The biggest problem of the SP 270 is its flimsy flybar, which breaks easily and is hard to find. So far, only toymall99.com stocks them (one person on the SP 270 thread really does not like that website). I have a flybar fix that I'm gonna post on my blog shortly. If you drill straight, the steel reinforcement should result in a flybar that's stronger than a new unbroken flybar.

Most of us here are adults, have a job, and can afford to buy a BMW just to go to the grocery store. So if you have the money to blow and want something different, go buy the SP 270.
Thanks as well. Regarding money, my kids would spend all I have, one way or the other, don't worry.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
perhaps if in a hurry.. one might simply fold & glue a piece of plastic over the stock flybar weights,
making a diy wee airfoil paddle. ...Nawwww toooo easy :-).
We can make a fairly good airfoil by folding and gluing a piece of card board onto each end of a flybar. I'll remove the weights as well.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:40 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
"Ground control to Proud Infidel"
OK, I screwed up on that one.
Most of us cannot afford to buy a BMW, but we can get careless enough to buy a Solo Pro 270 without doing major damage to our bank accounts.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,468 Posts
Quote:
In my opinion, these would be too light. They would make for an unstable heli. Faster? Yes. Less stable? Absolutely. The weight is far more influential when experimenting with the stabilizing bar than the shape of the bar's weights itself. The NSR paddles are too light, in my opinion.

I am going to try fitting TRex100X paddles on my V911. They are heavier and beefy. It won't be difficult, actually. They are big enough to easily drill into them. I shall report.

Chris
Chris, keep in mind that I have these already installed and stability is fine. The more weight you add, the less head speed you'll have. Yeah, she'll be more stable inside, but outside, that stability is going to get you pushed around by the wind.

For those desiring more weight with these paddles, simply put screws in the adjacent unused holes.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Chris, keep in mind that I have these already installed and stability is fine. The more weight you add, the less head speed you'll have. Yeah, she'll be more stable inside, but outside, that stability is going to get you pushed around by the wind.

For those desiring more weight with these paddles, simply put screws in the adjacent unused holes.

Good to know. I was sure they's be too light.

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,468 Posts
Quote:
Good to know. I was sure they's be too light.

Chris
Anxiously awaiting your Trex paddle transplant to see how good they work.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
perhaps if in a hurry.. one might simply fold & glue a piece of plastic over the stock flybar weights,
making a diy wee airfoil paddle. ...Nawwww toooo easy :-).
I'm sure that would work if the plastic pieces are balanced and doesn't add too much weight. I've seen youtube videos of this guy who modded (or built from scratch) a heli that flies with one single blade (not a pair, but one single blade, balanced by a weight on the other end). So anything is possible.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:26 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Thanks for the info. 1 x anything usually isn't good enough unless for display only.

I was thinking about putting a V911 RX into my 4#3B which I still find it super difficult to fly indoors. However I guess it's the head making it difficult even though the tail motor on my 4#3B was also a big problem last time I tried. Perhaps I should put a V911 or SP complete tail on my 4#3B instead of fixing the tail gear and knight head.
Regarding the 4#3B head, check out the 54* & 55* Bell/Hiller TechHead: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205952

4#3B TechHead Amazing Hands-Off Hover, Insane Flight, Big Crash and Close up (aka Novus FP) (7 min 8 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=900
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Last edited by Brosol; Mar 20, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
Regarding the 4#3B head, check out the 54* & 55* Bell/Hiller TechHead: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205952...
Thanks for the info. The 4#3B is one of the first I bought. It's a challenge but I am not sure if I would spend a lot more on it.

I have an used 4#6 that came with a regular head and bell head included. I converted it by using parts from both heads and RX2433 into FBL. That flies well indoors. It virtually only takes glue to run (fix up broken landing skid) plus perhaps 1 or 2 main blades per year.

The V911 seems even more indestructible than my 4#6 due to its lower weight and head speed.

My 4#3B seems way too heavy when compared to V911 of similar size for indoors. I doubt if I could make my 4#3B doing better than my FBL 4#6 for outdoors either.

Furthermore my new V120D02S is in Customs right now. I am definitely way over budget and won't be able to spend anything more on my 4#3B for now.

V911 is cheap enough that I may still be able to order but I don't really need anything new so far.

Sorry for off subject. Hope you understand.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
I don't know about the agility of the new 4#3 head but my v911 is no less stable than the one in this video. I could easily go make some coffee and leave it flying in my room..
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andur View Post
I don't know about the agility of the new 4#3 head but my v911 is no less stable than the one in this video. I could easily go make some coffee and leave it flying in my room..
I think the tech head is supposed to be very fast as well. The V911 may be quite a bit behind depending which heli you put it on.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,280 Posts
Indoor training with paddles

It's somewhat twitchy, but responsive and predictable. Something to do on my coffee breaks.

WL Toys v911 w/ Xtreme CF flybar & MSR paddles: indoor. (2 min 56 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:26 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Ordered on March 5, arrived here today on March 20th. I picked it up at the US Post office. Packaging was fine, batteries charged in the little USB charger but since at work I can't do much with it.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Stonecutter that paddle system looks nice! Better than my own DIY. I can't get it to work still. I'm using a 2mm carbon rod, MSR metal pivot balls (screwable, 1.10mm thread), 2 DIY weights and 4#3 paddles. The paddles make it so unstable I'm having a hard time making it flyable. It'll just be too quick and unstable (meaning every small move will send it towards that direction at high speed). I'll work on it some more and post pics.

And I do love the 4#3 looks. All the small CNC precision made aluminium bits and sophisticated look. I've got my cnc solo pro head on the way from hong kong, hopefully it will be here soon!

@Wasp: could we then use the 4#3 head bits on the v911? Like blades and all the head setup? Worth it?
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Last edited by andur; Mar 20, 2012 at 05:42 PM.