HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
Are you lubing your motors every 20 flights or so??
Are you talking about lubing the motor shaft where it goes into the motor body?

I've got almost 200 flights on my V911 and have only put a drop of oil on the motor shafts once.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
And here's another indoor flight video. Going a bit faster now. Still not pushing it to the max. I had so much fun with this heli today!

Chris

http://youtu.be/zVarC51TZDI
Some good flying there. I need to find a big area like that to stretch the legs out.

Where you on the fast rate setting on the Tx while flying there?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
It's not normal for the motors to get really hot. After a 5 min flight with my V911 (which now has almost 200 flights on it), the tail motor is just warm to the lips. The main motor still feels cool to the finger's touch. The lower battery life is probably due to the tail motor drawing so much power, and that's what' making it hot too. Sounds like your tail motor is going out to me.

Yeah, do not over dis-charge the LiPo batteries. I fly a max of 5 min ... usually now keep it just over 4-1/2 min. The battery voltage is around 3.75 after a 5 min flight, and the battery has rested for ~3 min.
Thanks for your reply, I will order a few spare tail motors now!

G.
grahameys is offline Find More Posts by grahameys
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I have a question for all of the guys who (again, like in all the other forums I am active or just read) have these "weight issues":

Has any single one of you guys actually installed all the metal parts and DID incur an only 2min flight time? Do you have a video to proof it?? Did any of your friends INSTALL all the metal and flew it for only 2min before the battery was down? Do you have a video for that??"

No worries, these were all rhetorical questions, as I am sure I KNOW the answer on each one of them (it is a very short word that does NOT start with a Y .)

It just makes me sad that there are always these claims thrown around everywhere, but in the vast majority of cases you will NOT find anybody who has "proof" that can be reviewed by anyone reading this.

There was a guy who actually made a video in gusts no one would believe and flew his Xtreme Flyers 350 (or however that model is called) - this was the first quy I saw on one of the forums who actually VISUALLY proofed his claim ...

EDIT:
And yes, MO, you already DID provide screenshots of the weather forecast for your area and videos of your heli flying in some wind. But here is my thing:

Who is to say that those values in the weather forecast (which to all I know are the max values measured by meteorologists in this area) are exactly occurring at where you fly, exactly at the time when you are flying. I have never been very good at physics, but logic says, for a heli to actually fly (ie move forward) in a certain amount of wind, this heli has to be able to fly faster than the windspeed in a totally no wind surrounding.
So as soon as the first person goes to a gym with a radar gun and measures the FFF of their bird at 22mph, I will believe it when this person says "I flew my heli today in a 20mph wind"
As long as this is not demonstrated, all the claims are nothing but wild guesses that - best case scenario - proof that the heli flew in some wind ... as of HOW MUCH wind this will stay speculation in everyones claim until they do a reasonable scientific proof for it. ... No offense ...
I have all the metal mods and it flies 30 seconds less maybe. I just fixed my broken flybar on the corter and cut down some xtreme blades and it flies pretty decent. These batteries it comes with are not too good, gonna mod the skids for eflite style batteries as I have a ton of those around.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,090 Posts
Quote:
I have a question for all of the guys who (again, like in all the other forums I am active or just read) have these "weight issues":

Has any single one of you guys actually installed all the metal parts and DID incur an only 2min flight time? Do you have a video to proof it?? Did any of your friends INSTALL all the metal and flew it for only 2min before the battery was down? Do you have a video for that??"

No worries, these were all rhetorical questions, as I am sure I KNOW the answer on each one of them (it is a very short word that does NOT start with a Y .)

It just makes me sad that there are always these claims thrown around everywhere, but in the vast majority of cases you will NOT find anybody who has "proof" that can be reviewed by anyone reading this.

There was a guy who actually made a video in gusts no one would believe and flew his Xtreme Flyers 350 (or however that model is called) - this was the first quy I saw on one of the forums who actually VISUALLY proofed his claim ...

EDIT:
And yes, MO, you already DID provide screenshots of the weather forecast for your area and videos of your heli flying in some wind. But here is my thing:

Who is to say that those values in the weather forecast (which to all I know are the max values measured by meteorologists in this area) are exactly occurring at where you fly, exactly at the time when you are flying. I have never been very good at physics, but logic says, for a heli to actually fly (ie move forward) in a certain amount of wind, this heli has to be able to fly faster than the windspeed in a totally no wind surrounding.
So as soon as the first person goes to a gym with a radar gun and measures the FFF of their bird at 22mph, I will believe it when this person says "I flew my heli today in a 20mph wind"
As long as this is not demonstrated, all the claims are nothing but wild guesses that - best case scenario - proof that the heli flew in some wind ... as of HOW MUCH wind this will stay speculation in everyones claim until they do a reasonable scientific proof for it. ... No offense ...
You mad bro? Many of us have seen the difference in flight time 1 gram makes, and yes there are people in this thread who have used the metal swash and stated it reduced flight times........I can't recall off-hand but I'd I think it was reduced by 1-2 minutes.

And the weather, no, it may not be a solid 19mph, but it's more like 15mph with gusts up to 19mph. and I do live on a pond, so the wind funnels through that area pretty well. The wind in a particular area could also be higher than where it's measured at for the Weather channel as well.

The heli, is not a brick wall, it's designed to be aerodynamic. If it were in fact a brick wall, and not something that's designed to be aerodymanic, then yes, I'd say you'd probably have to fly 19mph or faster to head into the wind. It's called drag coefficient. Take two pieces of metal, both weighing exactly the same, one shaped like a bowl or parachute, and another shaped like a spear, and both dropped into an airstream.....say at 19mph, do you really think they're both going to be blown at the same speed?

If you bothered to watch the video's of my indoor flights, you'll see she scoots along very well.

Launch your heli full speed into the air.......she takes off pretty fast doesn't she? Well that same thrust gets tranferred forward when the heli tilts in FFF.

I'll be sure to put in fine print disclaimers for you in the future. By the way, the earth is round, but don't take my word for it.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
my precious Corter
Joined Jan 2012
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahameys View Post
Hi guys, my V911 has developed a problem and I was wondering if anyone knows whats the cause?

When in the air, it kind of "wobbles" like fast jerky wobbles. They are small, so it doesn't change position much in the air but you can hear the tail motor speeding up and slowing down very rapidly when this happens (gyro trying to correct?) I also noticed that the tail motor is extremely hot, but I am not sure if this is normal, as it's the first time I have touched it. I have looked over everything and can't see anything obvious wrong but it's only started doing it over the last few flights. My batteries are not lasting anywhere near as long as they did when I got her a week ago but that's probably my fault by wearing them down too much.

Any advice would be great!

Ta

Grahame
That's what happened to me !
I was suspicious that tail motor causes the shivering, posted in forum but I got no reply. The problem developed after 3 flights, the motor got hot and hotter, tail motor was loud in impulses, as it was trying to correct.
Anyway my tail motor died after 5 flights, and was hot as hell.
It's a defect, yes Aaron@BG, it's a defect and poor quality control and your 100% quality check and shipping and returns policy sucks !
Order a new one or open a paypal dispute, I forgot I had 45 days to do it. as I ordered on 2.2.2012
Also, when I got my first V911, I had it hit walls, drop on the floor, everything imaginable and it kept working, when I learned to fly wind took it.
With this one I didn't even scratch a pillow and it died in 20 minutes or so, really bad quality.
madmito is offline Find More Posts by madmito
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
my precious Corter
Joined Jan 2012
252 Posts
Guess what, I forgot february has only 28,-29 days this year, and today is a 45th day.
I opened a dispute with paypal for 4,54$ (cost of the tail motor, please don't laugh, but it's not cause of the money), there is a batch with bad tail motors and why should I pay for it.
It's my first paypal dispute since I've been a member, more that 3 years.
madmito is offline Find More Posts by madmito
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Quote:

EDIT:

I can confirm it affects flight times... and I have proof I have the metal swashplate in place... check out the pics I posted earlier! I prefer the heli to be a bit heavier and not to fly away in a gust of wind, than to give me an extra minute or two of flight times...
chilaspt is offline Find More Posts by chilaspt
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
Agreed, what more would it cost???? A couple of extra dollars I would pay
My tail motor stays in its place very well with 3 pieces of 4mm square duct tape. I'm not willing to pay an extra $2 for that!

The plugs, I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I'm in Florida in the Daytona beach area. I wasn't aware of anywhere i could buy a BNF version.
Here's a BNF for $21.99
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaspt View Post
I can confirm it affects flight times... and I have proof I have the metal swashplate in place... check out the pics I posted earlier! I prefer the heli to be a bit heavier and not to fly away in a gust of wind, than to give me an extra minute or two of flight times...
Why don't you guys buy yourselves a drug dealers' scale and weigh your helicopters?

My V911 weighs 28.1 grams with minor mods, no battery.
My Solo Pro 270 weighs 25.7 grams.
The V911 battery weighs 4.0 grams.
The Nine Eagles battery for my SP 270 weighs 4.3 grams (150 mAh).
The Turnigy 160 mAh battery for my SP 270 weighs a whopping 4.8 grams! (Flight time not improved, but at $1.17 each, who cares!)
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
So I had my first part brake this evening, cracked a rotor blade I was flying around outside and a gust of wind took the heli towards a tall hedge. I cut the power and it bounced off the hedge and fell about 8 feet to the grass. Everything was fine till I bent over to pick it up and I accidentally hit the throttle. In the time it took me to shut it down the rotor had smacked the ground more times than I could count and bounce the heli onto the driveway. When I picked it up, being extremely careful not to hit the throttle again, I noticed one blade was pointed up ever so slightly.

I was going to order a few spare parts tomorrow any how, but now it looks like I should add a couple sets of blades as well. As fun as this little heli is to fly outside, it doesn't handle unexpected gust too well, I think I am going to start looking at a bigger 4 channel for outdoor flying till I am ready to make the jump to a 450 size 6 channel heli.
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
Canada, ON, Iroquois
Joined Mar 2012
555 Posts
Believe it or not I do have a nice little digital scale I bought in a head shop but I didn't pick it up for weighing dope or helicopters, I bought it for weighing old double edge safety razors. Some of them the only way to tell one model of old Gillette from another is by its weight

my V911 is 27.9 grams 32.2-32.5 depending on which battery. Yes they weigh in at 0.3 grams different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
Why don't you guys buy yourselves a drug dealers' scale and weigh your helicopters?

My V911 weighs 28.1 grams with minor mods, no battery.
My Solo Pro 270 weighs 25.7 grams.
The V911 battery weighs 4.0 grams.
The Nine Eagles battery for my SP 270 weighs 4.3 grams (150 mAh).
The Turnigy 160 mAh battery for my SP 270 weighs a whopping 4.8 grams! (Flight time not improved, but at $1.17 each, who cares!)
SG Mason Knives is offline Find More Posts by SG Mason Knives
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
I have a question. How the hell do you replace the tail motor O_o? The tail boom is very stiffly connected, could you possibly take it off since I cant get the wires through it at the end where the tail boom is connected to the body?
derehu1234 is offline Find More Posts by derehu1234
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,090 Posts
I hope more of you try the paddle mod before you give up on her. Most of you probably have a patched up canopy as well (heavier for forward bias). I use mine for outdoor flight along with an E-flight compatible inverted battery (check out Daryoon's Hacks n Mods for soldering on the E-flight connectors) and it really helps in prevention of flying away from gusts.

Turn off your TX when she crashes, that way when you accidently hit the throttle, nothing will happen.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Mason Knives View Post
I cut the power and it bounced off the hedge and fell about 8 feet to the grass. Everything was fine till I bent over to pick it up and I accidentally hit the throttle. In the time it took me to shut it down the rotor had smacked the ground more times than I could count and bounce the heli onto the driveway.
Been there, done that. Now if I crash I either put down the Tx or shut the power off the Tx before picking up the heli so there's no chance of accidentally moving the throttle stick at that wrong time.