SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:57 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
The connect buckles were grinding against the swash plate guide pin (thanks HP ), I thought they were the cause of the 'snagging', but it seems like there is more to it.
I didn't run it, I turned it by hand. While doing this, there was 1 point where it would snag and actually needed a (relatively) good push to continue turning.
This snagging or grinding gets way worse if I push the shaft a little so that the main gear pivots towards the main motor. If I push the other direction so that there is a tiny bit more space between the main gear and motor gear, there is no snagging at all.

Noise isn't the problem, I'm just worried that this tiny problem that I found out by accident when turning the wings by hand will turn into a big problem down the road when I actually get to fly it. So far I've only had 2 short flights. A clear backwards TBE though, so I cleaned up the connect buckles and found out one of the connect balls had a little ridge so I sanded that one too.
I hope I can start trimming it proberly tomorrow
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
I didn't run it, I turned it by hand. While doing this, there was 1 point where it would snag and actually needed a (relatively) good push to continue turning.
This snagging or grinding gets way worse if I push the shaft a little so that the main gear pivots towards the main motor. If I push the other direction so that there is a tiny bit more space between the main gear and motor gear, there is no snagging at all.
Some members have reported the same thing ... the "catching" is caused by the main gear not being exactly true/round as it turns. If you put a small about of lube on the main gear and fly the heli some more, it may run itself in better. Other fix is to get a new main gear that is isn't warped or non-circular.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:16 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
I see, thanks!
Is WD40 safe to use? Or should I get some sewing machine oil or something else?
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,416 Posts
Pirre, I sounded to me that there is something in your gear system that is binding. When I give my rotor a good push with my hand, it will spin for a few rotations. If yours does do that, something is snagging.

Turn your helicopter upside down. If you could remove the skids, remove them so that you have a clear view of the main gear. Slowly rotate the gear, if you come to a point that it snags, use a marker to mark the point when it meets the motor pinion. Repeat the turns, see if its always catching at the same area. Use an old toothbrush to give those teeth in the gear a good brush in that area and see if it improves. Otherwise, see if you could see any unevenness in the gear in that area. Sometimes it may take a blade running between the cogs to smooth things out. I hope you find the problem.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:36 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
It does spin a few times if I give it a good push. Only when I turn it slowly the snag is noticeable. I just marked the spot, that was a good idea. I took some fine sandpaper and rubbed both it on all sides and between the tooth and a few around it, but it's still the same.
Guess I'll just lube it and let it sort it itself
Thanks for the help, everyone!
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,416 Posts
Now that you've marked the spot, and if it always happen on the same spot, I would continue to investigate and find out what's wrong with it. Lubing it at this point would only MASK the real problem. It may help a little, but the problem is still there and it will come back to bite you.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:47 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
I'll sleep on it
(seriously, it's 1:45 am here, helicopters are so much fun even when they don't fly, lol)
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:51 PM
Permanently Banned
Stumptown
Joined May 2008
305 Posts
I just got my v911 today. It flies ok but it occasionally spins out of control. Its almost as if it is engine breaking. This is my first sub-micro helicopter so Im not sure if this a symptom of a bad motor or something else. Everything seems to spin easily.

I guess its the motor, looks like this:

V911 Chicken Dance (1 min 7 sec)
underthefloor is offline Find More Posts by underthefloor
Last edited by underthefloor; Mar 07, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Kangaroo Point
Joined Mar 2012
90 Posts
[QUOTE=................................
I guess its the motor, looks like this:
[/QUOTE]

Mine did the exact same thing, I oiled both the motor and rotor with a light oil (hair clipper oil) left it to soak in overnight and it never did it again.
The corter was flying like a little champ, that is until I crashed it and a car ran over it
ruskky is offline Find More Posts by ruskky
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:26 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskky View Post
The corter was flying like a little champ, that is until I crashed it and a car ran over it
Ouch ... got any photos of the carnage? RIP Corter ...
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:29 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
It does spin a few times if I give it a good push. Only when I turn it slowly the snag is noticeable. I just marked the spot, that was a good idea. I took some fine sandpaper and rubbed both it on all sides and between the tooth and a few around it, but it's still the same.
Guess I'll just lube it and let it sort it itself
Thanks for the help, everyone!
If it always is harder to turn at that same spot, then there's a flaw in the main gear. Like I said before, the gear is probably out of round slightly, or the teeth in that area are slightly deformed. Also look at the gear edge wise to see if there is any wobble in it. This could aggravate the gear meshing and cause what you're seeing.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
I just got my order from MyRCMart. The 4 batteries are all the longer 130mAH batteries. code is LB14
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I took mine traveling to work and crashed into the hotel dresser. The motor positive disconnected. Had to go to Radio shack to buy a pencil solder gun. No problem but beware the solder joints. So far so good, I have it for 5 days and it still flys. I crash allot, and this is a pretty tough little heli. I have two more coming. Will have all three color schemes but will be cannibalizing them for parts as its cheaper in the end.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:47 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,290 Posts
Hey guys,
I believe, like many of the guys here, that the V911 RTF packages are getting shipped with the 130mah batteries now... 2 of my friends ordered them after they saw my V911s and received the birds with 130mah batteries!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,416 Posts
According to a WL Toys correspondence, not only that they have upgraded the v911 battery from 120mAh to 130mAh, it also went from 15C to 20C, or so I read.