HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:03 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
After reading the review, I ordered one from hobby-wing to satisfy my curiousity.

I own the Solo Pro, 9958 and the Trex 100S. It will be interesting to do a flight comparison once my set arrive.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:01 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Asanado: yes the v911 is not as fast as the SP but it is quite nimble and I think has a better quality gyro.. actions are crisp and precise but still ridiculously stable.

Zadaw: yea I am quite interested in seeing if its compatible at all.. would be quite the cheaper parts option for trex owners if it is

TFmeouch: let us know how it compares! happy to finally have a fellow owner haha
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:48 AM
Israel
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
I have already ordered one 3 days ago, but it usually takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.

When looking at the spare parts (being sold on HeliPal), it looks like most of them may be compatible with the Solo Pro, and the Rx board may be compatible with the T100 one.

jameschen072, do you have a Turnigy 9x Tx to try binding it? I read somewhere that the T100 can bind to the 9x, and this one is supposed to be compatible to the T100 Tx.
asanado is offline Find More Posts by asanado
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:35 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
nope no turnigy here... we'll just have to wait for TFMeouch to give us a compatibility test I think :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:55 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
nope no turnigy here... we'll just have to wait for TFMeouch to give us a compatibility test I think :P
Well I've yet to get the turnigy tx. Any idea where I can get it? It's perpetually out of stock in hobby king.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:19 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,867 Posts
It would be nice to see a comparison between the Bravo SX and this. Since the Bravo SX also responds more neutral to steering inputs, but still has the speed of the Solo Pro, and even better.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:17 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
SoloPro: I think on high rates the V911 is quite maneuverable..but much slower than the SX in FF speed... The SX wins on looks but the V911 is much more rugged
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:45 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
My package from hobby-wing just arrived today. Managed to open up the box to check out the contents and do a very brief test flight.

The set came nicely packaged and I liked the fact that charger is usb and charges 2 batteries at a go. Battery slots look identical to the Trex 100 charger and I have a feeling both are compatible with one another. 2 lipos are supplied in the box, which should last quite a number of flights. My transmitter came with 6 AA batteries installed. Hobby-wing had tested the heli before shipping, which I personally find it a plus point.

I didn't have time to charge but just popped in one of the lipo for a brief test flight. I must say the flight characteristics are very much like the Solo Pro. Should be hardly surprising since its supposed to be a clone. As mentioned in the review, forward flight is slower than the Solo Pro, but sufficiently fast enough to zip around my living room. Motors sounded noisy compared to the Solo Pro and 9958. Oh, I must say that rudder turns felt better than the Solo Pro. I didn't really have to compensate with the ailerons when making a right turn.

I will make a more in depth comparison once I put some more flights into it. As of now, I think its a pretty promising heli. If price can be as competitive as the 9958, I think it should be quite popular.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,239 Posts
I am seeing a copy of this on sale in a market in Hong Kong for $38.6. The Xieda was on sale for $32.2. There was also a clone of the Walkera CB180D on sale for $92.6. Walkera and Nine Eagles helis were no where to be seen, even in stalls that used to sell them. For the looks of it, an invasion of these cheap Solo Pro/Trex 100 clones is well under way.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:16 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
I had a chance to compare the V911 and Solo Pro side by side. The V911's tail boom is much longer than my Solo Pro. Could that be the reason why piros are more controllable than the Solo Pro?

Also, the batteries are totally different from the Trex 100. There goes my hopes of switching around the batteries.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:42 AM
Israel
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Can you check if there is an overcharge protection on the battery or on the charger?
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:56 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Also in MyRcMart:
http://www.myrcmart.com/wl-v911-24g-...er-p-4221.html

Stated that cheap parts will be available soon...
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:33 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
I had a chance to compare the V911 and Solo Pro side by side. The V911's tail boom is much longer than my Solo Pro. Could that be the reason why piros are more controllable than the Solo Pro?

Also, the batteries are totally different from the Trex 100. There goes my hopes of switching around the batteries.
Is the V911 canopy compatible with the Solo Pro?
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:49 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Is the V911 canopy compatible with the Solo Pro?
Yes! They are interchangeable. Seems that the v911 has better material used for the canopy. I flew my v911 right into the wall after failing to recover from a banked right turn in my room. Nothing was loose at all! If it was any other Heli, this kind of crash will likely cause some downtime.

Apparently myrcmart has it for a very low price. I am tempted to get another one either as a gift or just to fiddle around.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:49 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Further impressions of the V911 after a few more flights.

Transmitter
Doesn't save any settings after you power it off, which is a minus point as I had to readjust the trims for the throttle every time I power up the transmitter.

The dual rates function indeed works, but there is no indication whether its on high or low rate. I could only tell by observing the servo movements. As far as I could tell, there isn't really a great difference between high and low rates.

Stick movement is very sensitive and you really have to control your thumbs. Probably this is a point beginners should take note.

Flight characteristics
I must say I am thoroughly impressed by the gyro. The heading lock is spot-on and it practically hovers like a coax. Its something I appreciate as I normally fly in my apartment and have to work around with space constraints.

The way the helicopter piro feels like its on steroids. I think its more like the Trex 100 in terms of piro rates. Making banked turns is rather easy as the helicopter is very responsive in its rudder and elevator controls.

I must also mention that I like the fact that it is very tamed when doing soft landings. I can easily land this properly by reducing throttle in a very gentle manner. The best thing is, it doesn't spin anti-clockwise upon cutting off throttle. This is something which is present in my Solo Pro and Trex 100. The other helicopter that can manage this feat will be the 9958.

If I were to compare my Solo Pro, Trex 100S, Bravo SX and 9958, I would say the v911 has the DNA of all of the above helicopters. This is the way I look at it:
Handling - Bravo SX
Design/Body frame - Solo Pro
Transmitter - Trex 100S
Price - 9958

Verdict
I must admit that after flying this, my only grip is that forward flight could be a tad faster, especially for flying outdoors. Otherwise, it is perfect for indoor flights. I am using this to practise scale flights, taking off and landing in a very gentle manner. For a clone, this is certainly impressive and I think my Solo Pro is going to sit in the cupboard for a long time.