HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Can you try this in your Bravo SX? Sounds like an interesting idea.
Hey Solo, I did try to quiet-down the BravoSX with the SD foam... but without taking the Body off there is limited access. I did manage to get a few strips into the rear-cabin, side of LiPo tray area.... and it did quiet it down a little. The sound now comes out of the Top rotor area, and is more of a Gear whine than the Rattley-sound of a stock BravoSX. If I can gain access to the Front Window area, could probably quiet it down more efficiently.

P.S. I do have an Xtra V911 TX, if you're willing to pay shipping from Canada.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Hey Solo, I did try to quiet-down the BravoSX with the SD foam... but without taking the Body off there is limited access. I did manage to get a few strips into the rear-cabin, side of LiPo tray area.... and it did quiet it down a little. The sound now comes out of the Top rotor area, and is more of a Gear whine than the Rattley-sound of a stock BravoSX. If I can gain access to the Front Window area, could probably quiet it down more efficiently.

P.S. I do have an Xtra V911 TX, if you're willing to pay shipping from Canada.
It's not that hard to seperate the windshield halves. I've added a little write up about this in the SP/SX FAQ thread.

As for the TX, I was hoping for someone Europe based, but what would shipping to the Netherlands from Canada cost?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I apologize if this information is old news.

I remember some posters had good results and some not with this. I got mine and just installed it. The Xtreme flybar is thicker than the stock one so some sanding is required (not much, a minute worth of labor), once installed and lubed, I found it reduced the high frequency vibration noticably (hold heli in hand while revving up to see for yourself), and seems a little quieter now.

Tried all weight combinations. The 'stable' (both weights on) configuration produces an obvious wobble so don't use that. The large weight alone is similar to stock performance (with the aforementioned reduction in vibration), and the small weight does indeed make it more 'responsive' in the sense it feels lighter.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase, $7.20 plus shipping from Clubheli.com.
I'm glad you got your Xtreme flybar working well, I loved the flying characteristics too. I found that the Medium weights (xtra cost) were the best balance between being too stable or too whippy.

I have come to terms with my CF flybars, No more flying with them in a small obstacle filled room.... only for big open rooms or outdoors! (after a few Hits to the CF flybar.... it breaks @ the central hub area)

For those like me with broken Xtreme flybars.... MiracleMart does sell the CF ROD that breaks for under $3. So, It's like replacing a stock SoloPro flybar... cost-wise... and the "hardware" that came with the Xtreme flybar kit doesn't go to waste.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
Nederland
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
It's not that hard to seperate the windshield halves. I've added a little write up about this in the SP/SX FAQ thread.

As for the TX, I was hoping for someone Europe based, but what would shipping to the Netherlands from Canada cost?
Solo, I have a spare!
Windmolen is offline Find More Posts by Windmolen
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Sep 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi Aaron, welcome back.
Changing the subject, I notice a lot are now exchanging their motors for the Solo-Pro one.
Seems like most were delivered with faulty motors, so perhaps that is something you would like to address?

Cheers

Borderlord
"most" is a kind of strong word here. from following the forum, I would say "some", or "a few".

Flight testing before shipment sounds like a good QC idea (which is what myrcmart.com apparently did with mine).
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Sep 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Going from 3-ch co-axial to 4-ch fixed pitch (V911) wasn't a huge step for me - shouldn't be for anyone really.
You said 6-8 flights!
I guess I'm a slow learner
I have a coupld VMax 6020-1 and 6025-1 3ch.

With the V911, I'm still not able to handle the left/right side to side when it's not facing away from me (offset at 45 degrees).
Forward and back, I'm getting better, but as soon as it's facing away, my side to side goes out the window.

I guess that's where the 3ch (which have no side to side) didn't help me out at all.

Any suggestions to help me learn?
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; Jan 30, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Put the Delrin Head back on #1 V911, shudder gone again

I received some Solo Pro Blades in the mail today, ones I had ordered last week after breaking my 3rd set of V911 blades due to the smaller diameter pivot pins found on both the metal head and the Solo Pro head I had been trying.

I'm still having some flight time problems (barely 3 minutes or slightly more) but I still decided to put the Delrin head back on just for laughs. The new blades (as they should) fit perfectly on the Delrin head but I'm a little surprised that the slight shuddering I had been seeing (with my new V911 head) was not present. The slight shuddering may still reappear but the 1st flight with the Delrin head and new blades showed no signs of a shudder.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,177 Posts
Ken, I am NOT going to suggest putting the original head back to see if the shuddering persist, because you would stop treating me as your friend. I won't even hint that, or make mention of it in the forum, okay? So, good luck solving the flight time problem and don't worry about the original stock head that you first observed the shuddering. Just put it aside and don't think about it.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
...(after a few Hits to the CF flybar.... it breaks @ the central hub area)

Thanks for the reminder. Considering that the xtreme flybar is rigid, it is not surprising that it doesn't withstand crashes as readily as the rubber-made stock flybar. Looking on the bright side, it's extra incentive simply not to crash.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
Guys! Banggood.com is selling the V911 for $44.99 with free shipping! I had to order my 2nd V911!
Yeah, but are they done with New Year and shipping yet?

bob
steelgtr is online now Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:55 PM
Crash Dummy
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
You said 6-8 flights!

With the V911, I'm still not able to handle the left/right side to side when it's not facing away from me (offset at 45 degrees).
Forward and back, I'm getting better, but as soon as it's facing away, my side to side goes out the window.

I guess that's where the 3ch (which have no side to side) didn't help me out at all.

I feel like I was just in your shoes. It took me a little bit to un-learn the 3ch controls, but once you get the 4ch controls down you can switch between the two without a problem.

I went with a bit of a structured approach to learning the controls of the helicopter and more importantly orientation. I did a lot of research and this is a crash course (heh!) on what I did. It's not the most exciting but it will cement the basics in and provide a good foundation.

Find yourself the largest room in your house or a nice open grass field like the outfield of a baseball diamond or soccer field that's shielded from the wind a bit.

Start with the nose of the helicopter away from you and the tail towards you and get it into a hover (tail-in is what they call this btw), now make an H pattern using only the right stick. Once you're comfortable with that and are fairly accurate tracing the H with repeat-ability move on to an X pattern.

Once you have that down, get her into a hover again and do some tail-in circles with you in the middle. Do this by giving the heli some left or right roll, and adjust the left stick to give some pitch adjustment to keep the tail facing you. It will be more of a wobbly oval at first, but after a few dizzy spells you'll more or less get it down. Keep practicing until you get it down, then do the same thing in the opposite direction.

Keeping the tail facing towards you makes it easy to correct movements as they controller inputs don't need to be "flipped" if you were facing the helicopter head on or "nose in". The next part is what helped me a lot with that.

Get the heli into a hover and do the same circle as above but this time you're going to be outside of the circle. Keep at it and don't forget to switch directions once you get comfortable one way.

You should be fairly comfortable with the controls at this point, lets see what we can do about that.
We're going to do a circle with you in the middle again. Get your heli into a hover but this time point the front toward you. Give it some roll on the right stick and compensate with the pitch on the left stick to keep it in a circle. Once you get that down, switch directions of travel.

If your comfortable with that, try the same exercise while standing "ouside" of the circle. If you can do that in both directions you're in good shape at this point.

I have very limited fly time since I have a 2 year old at home, but practicing these exercises helps keep my orientation and 4ch controls fresh in my memory. It's nice that we can fly these indoors otherwise I'd rarely get a chance to fly. I'm not a good pilot by any means but I totally understand where you're coming from and these have helped me out quite a bit, If anyone can add to this please do! I'm also looking to improve my flying
r6_cannibal is offline Find More Posts by r6_cannibal
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC View Post
You said 6-8 flights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_cannibal View Post
I feel like I was just in your shoes. It took me a little bit to un-learn the 3ch controls, but once you get the 4ch controls down you can switch between the two without a problem.

I went with a bit of a structured approach to learning the controls of the helicopter and more importantly orientation. I did a lot of research and this is a crash course (heh!) on what I did. It's not the most exciting but it will cement the basics in and provide a good foundation.
Orientation shouldn't really be an issue if orientation was fully mastered with a 3-ch heli. I honed my orientation skills by imagining I'm sitting in the cockpit of the heli like I was flying it. To me, that helps while the brain is getting trained on orientation.

Stepping up from a 3-ch to a 4-ch is more about retraining your brain to synchronize with your thumbs to make the heli do what you want it to. Plus, throwing in the 4th channel (roll left or right) and putting yaw on the left stick with the throttle are the hurtles involved with the brain retrain. And also the new flight characteristics of the heli when you start mixing yaw and roll together ... but that's what makes the 4-ch heli much funner to fly than a 3-ch heli.

I'd recommend to the 3-ch guys to first just try to fly the 4-ch heli like it was a 3-ch. In other words, try NOT to use any left or right roll and just use throttle, yaw and fore/aft. Once you can get your brain to fly this way, then slowly experiment with left and right roll. Then start mixing roll and yaw together in very little moves to see how the heli behaves. This is basically what I did, and after about 6~8 flights my brain suddenly snapped into the 4-ch mode and I've been getting better with every flight.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Sep 2003
17 Posts
I don't know if anybody else is having the same problem with the pinion. My second heli is starting to TBE. I checked the pinion and its starting to wear quickly.
pmcbs is offline Find More Posts by pmcbs
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
Québec!
Canada, QC, Longueuil
Joined Jul 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcbs View Post
I don't know if anybody else is having the same problem with the pinion. My second heli is starting to TBE. I checked the pinion and its starting to wear quickly.
nice picture pmcbs. It really help to figure
alxlab is offline Find More Posts by alxlab
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
Québec!
Canada, QC, Longueuil
Joined Jul 2011
137 Posts
i use Esky Honey Bee 2 Parts - Paddle Balance Weight EK1-0269 (000238) and i just cut off the extremity weights on the Solo Pro flybar. also have the delrin head mounted. flying great
alxlab is offline Find More Posts by alxlab