HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:07 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope12839 View Post
So, which is the best motor to use on the V911... the Solo Pro motor, the Bravo SX motor, or the Hobbyzone Champ motor?

I am looking for a motor that has good power and 6-8 minute flight time with the stock 120mah battery.

This question is open to everyone on this thread.
Considering that Champ owners frequently installed a Solo Pro or Bravo SX motor to get longer motor life, more power, yet lower power consumption and paying less for a replacement motor, it seems obvious the Champ motor would not offer much advantage over the stock V911 motor, if any.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 29, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:09 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcFault View Post
Ken, cool hack with those proto blades, that's dedication right there. I'm wondering if you can do me a favor and measure the distance between the balls on those blades, outside to outside with them assembled. I'm getting the beginnings of what I think is an idea over here.

As far as that shudder is concerned, I too am curious about your original head. I have two stock heads and both of them have a slight and almost invisible bend in them and my heli shudders with both.
ArcFault,

Ok here's your measuement: 21.44mm
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
I dont know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
If you already have a Flysky 9x, why would you need a Turnigy? Couldn't you bind the v911 to your Tx?
I dont know ? [ Binding ]

But was wondering which X9 Banggood was going to possibly stock , and can any V911 be bound to Skyfly ?
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Maybe I spoke too soon, small shudder has reappeared

Well, I just don't know at this point.
I'm starting to see some small shuddering again, when I accelerate forward or come out of a quick 180 degree turn... I see some small amount of shuddering. This is with my new head.

Oh well, I may have to live with it... as long as it doesn't get any worse then it is now.

* Flight time was only 4 min 40 seconds. Seems like when I first got the V911 (and trimmed out) I was getting around 6 1/2 to 7 Minutes flight time. Maybe this will be my new research project. *

Ken
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,099 Posts
Hi Aaron, welcome back.
Another vote for mode 2 as the most popular. However, there are quite a few mode 1 fliers about, so I think it best that either buyers be able to specify which mode when purchasing, or find an easy way to switch modes on the transmitter.
Changing the subject, I notice a lot are now exchanging their motors for the Solo-Pro one.
Seems like most were delivered with faulty motors, so perhaps that is something you would like to address?

Cheers

Borderlord
Border Lord is online now Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:45 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
I'm starting to see some small shuddering again, when I accelerate forward or come out of a quick 180 degree turn... I see some small amount of shuddering. This is with my new head.

Oh well, I may have to live with it... as long as it doesn't get any worse then it is now.

* Flight time was only 4 min 40 seconds. Seems like when I first got the V911 (and trimmed out) I was getting around 6 1/2 to 7 Minutes flight time. Maybe this will be my new research project. *

Ken
I sense you are experiencing what I went thru. My first v911 was fine for the first 20 flights or so. The shuddering problem came and eventually, flight time went from 6min to about less than 3min. Seems like the main motors just died slowly. And no, batteries were fine as it gave me about 6min on my 2nd v911.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:33 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
I sense you are experiencing what I went thru. My first v911 was fine for the first 20 flights or so. The shuddering problem came and eventually, flight time went from 6min to about less than 3min. Seems like the main motors just died slowly. And no, batteries were fine as it gave me about 6min on my 2nd v911.
Sounds like they might have saved on quality of some parts. The receiver seems pretty solid, at least I don't hear many complaining about that. Is the receiver compatible with the Solo Pro frame?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
You are right, I didn't try it on my V911, I tried the camera on a Syma S107G and a HCW537, neither could lift it.
im not very happy with my keychain cam right now.
its been setting in a drawer for like 2 years, i dug it out last night after commenting on your post.
it charged up fine, and it works as it did from day one. BUT i can not for the life of me get the stupid day/time stamp to take.
i did the [Date] 2012/01/29 and time then was 12:47:00 just like i did the first time i set it years back, but it will not work now.

maybe i am not doing something right, but im thinking the time/date setting isnt a big concern for me anymore LoL.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:49 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,204 Posts
Quote:

Ken
Ken, there might be another possibility. I've been wondering all along if the head replacement actually cures the shuddering problem you've been seeing. I've been silent about it because you have invested good money on swash and head and seemed to be getting results. But I was urging you to now try using the original head. If the shuddering immediately reappears after switching back to the old head, then we could safely say that it was a head problem. But if it doesn't then the problem lies elsewhere. It's a intermittent problem that comes and goes, and I hate those. But since you're now getting the shuddering even with the new head, it causes me to rethink this problem.

When I watched you video and the violent shuddering, I didn't believe that it was caused by the head. It had to be badly out of alignment to cause that much of shuddering, and it won't be very intermittent. Therefore, I'm thinking about your servo. A jittery servo, pulsing back and forth could certainly cause that much shuddering. And I keep going back to the picture of the Rx you posted. Do you notice how poorly the servos were soldered on to the Rx? Just look at those soldering pads. They are still holes to me. That could be the source of your problem.

It's a long shot, a very long shot. But I would certainly re-flow those solder points to take any uncertainty out. You may want to wait just a little before you try that, because you are at the point of determining whether the head is the issue. So, play with that and get more data, but keep this idea in the back of your head. At some point, re-flow the solder and see if a good connection doesn't solve your shuddering problem once and for all.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Ken, there might be another possibility. I've been wondering all along if the head replacement actually cures the shuddering problem you've been seeing....... But if it doesn't then the problem lies elsewhere. It's a intermittent problem that comes and goes, and I hate those. But since you're now getting the shuddering even with the new head, it causes me to rethink this problem.
The shuddering I'm seeing now is minimal and I'm not sure everyone would even notice it. If it gets worse then I'll be concerned and will certainly try to pinpoint it again. I'm more concerned with the reduced flight times and it's always possible the two are connected.

Quote:
When I watched you video and the violent shuddering, I didn't believe that it was caused by the head. It had to be badly out of alignment to cause that much of shuddering, and it won't be very intermittent.
The violent shuddering I purposely caused (exaggerated) by tightening the screw that secures the flybar. It just made it easier for others to see... once I loosened that screw then the shuddering was not nearly as violent.

Quote:
Therefore, I'm thinking about your servo. A jittery servo, pulsing back and forth could certainly cause that much shuddering.
a jittery servo does make sense, I will see a little shudder when I give it just a little forward thrust and when I slow down for turn (reducing the forward thrust). So maybe it's just when the right stick is slightly engaged?

Quote:
And I keep going back to the picture of the Rx you posted. Do you notice how poorly the servos were soldered on to the Rx? Just look at those soldering pads. They are still holes to me. That could be the source of your problem.
Interesting observation... Heli Pad, you keep exposing more and more stuff that I don't have knowledge about
First Helis, then transmitters now solder joints.... you are killing me guy
When I look at those solder joints (assuming I'm looking in the right place, they look normal to a hack like me
If you continue to expose me for what I DON'T know, I'm not going to be your friend

Quote:
It's a long shot, a very long shot. But I would certainly re-flow those solder points to take any uncertainty out. You may want to wait just a little before you try that, because you are at the point of determining whether the head is the issue. So, play with that and get more data, but keep this idea in the back of your head. At some point, re-flow the solder and see if a good connection doesn't solve your shuddering problem once and for all.
Yea, me trying to touch up some poor solder joints that I can't identify will be something to delay trying for now. For sure until I can buy one of the soon-to-be-available $24.99 BNF V911 (are you listening Aaron?). Then I can really be unafraid of the changes (damages) I can do with my first V911.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Flight Times Crashing

Using my 1st V911, I decided to record the flight times using my four different batteries to see how each one was performing, what I discovered is that I have different, more pressing issues. Here's the breakdown:

Flight #..........Flight Time.......... Battery Used
01---------- 4 min. 50 sec-------------- #3
02---------- 4 min. 25 sec-------------- #4
03---------- 4 min. 00 sec-------------- #1
04---------- 3 min. 30 sec-------------- #2
05---------- 2 min. 30 sec-------------- #3
06---------- 2 min. 05 sec-------------- #4
07---------- 2 min. 30 sec-------------- #1
=====================================

* Just to make sure all my batteries were not dying and that my charger was working, I placed battery #2 in my 2nd V911 and just got a 6 minute flight time, so it's not the batteries or the charger*
Last edited by cpuken; Jan 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
How is the motor temp, what kind of break are you giving it between uses?

Try again in 2-3 hours, let everything cool down and settle and see if the flight time goes up or sits at the same level as before.
Mike43110 is online now Find More Posts by Mike43110
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
i think i mentioned it could be a bad servo about 20 pages back.
by the looks of your time graph, the motor could be on its way out. this too could cause your shuttering heli, the head speed drops resulting in not enough blade speed.

a low head speed shows this alot in cp helis. i would imagine a fp heli would be more acceptable to this sense it relies souly on head speed for lift, where as a cp also relies on blade pitch for lift.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike43110 View Post
How is the motor temp, what kind of break are you giving it between uses?

Try again in 2-3 hours, let everything cool down and settle and see if the flight time goes up or sits at the same level as before.
Motor was not hot to the touch, not even warm as far as I could tell.
Rest time varied from 2-3 minutes on the short side to maybe 10 minutes on the longer side.
Yea, I'll try again in about 2 hours.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
i think i mentioned it could be a bad servo about 20 pages back.
by the looks of your time graph, the motor could be on its way out. this too could cause your shuttering heli, the head speed drops resulting in not enough blade speed.

a low head speed shows this alot in cp helis. i would imagine a fp heli would be more acceptable to this sense it relies souly on head speed for lift, where as a cp also relies on blade pitch for lift.
Thanks for the suggestions...
The low head speed sounds like a valid explanation.

Did you decide upon a price you will be selling your V911 for? I may be interested, depending on the price. Since Banggood will be soon offering a BNF, I guess I don't need a 3rd TX though.