HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
cpuken: nice mod adapting coaxial blades to get the heli flying again.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
As many of you know, I have 2 V911s. The 1st one has undergone many crashes and many mods.
<snip>
3) Currently using the Delrin head but any head designed for the Solo Pro has pivot pins that are smaller diameter than the stock V911 head. You can get it to work but I discovered that these smaller pivot pins lead to easily broken blades (right where it mounts to the head). I've broken 3 sets of blades using either the metal or Delrin Solo Pro heads). Went to the local hobby shop to find some Solo Pro blades... the closest they had were some Revell Proto CX blades (for a coaxial) but one set of these Revell blades were close enough for me to try. The only problem (see photo) is that the nub used to attach the mixing arm is way too long. I tried it without altering it but that didn't work so I cut some small metal tubing to slide over the mounting pin to hold the mixing arm in place then used some broken ball linkage pieces to snap on the ends and hold everything in place.

She flies but not sure how long I'll stay with this config because I'm losing some speed and some flight time but I was just happy to be airborne again. Didn't want to fly the #2 V911 and take the chance of breaking something I can't currently replace.
Wow cpuken, that is a mutant V911. It's cool that your hackjob to the mixers lets her fly! Altho entertaining for you to mod... I don't think swapping the stock head-out is really necessary on the V911.
The only thing I've noticed with the stock head is that it might go out-of-true from a crash, and produce a wobble/vibration to the heli. It is more easilly straightened bye removing the blades and flybar first.
If the blades are too loose, and need dampening... a metal or paper washer between blade-end and rotor should work.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
You could make her work with the following Solo Pro parts:

1. Motor (not really needed, but man I'm liking this motor in my V911)
2. Main gear
3. Metal swash plate
Interesting about the SP motor swapped into the V911 being more powerful, It might just be what a heavy V911 with an Alu. swash needs.
I forget if your V911 is heavier than stock... any flying impressions with the SP motor?
I just swapped a BravoSX motor into my SP... so I've got an extra SoloPro motor to play with. If more power is needed.... the BravoSX motor is beastly.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Wow cpuken, that is a mutant V911. It's cool that your hackjob to the mixers lets her fly! Altho entertaining for you to mod... I don't think swapping the stock head-out is really necessary on the V911.
The only thing I've noticed with the stock head is that it might go out-of-true from a crash, and produce a wobble/vibration to the heli. It is more easilly straightened bye removing the blades and flybar first.
If the blades are too loose, and need dampening... a metal or paper washer between blade-end and rotor should work.
The main reason I went to the Derlin Head was to fix my bad wobble problem.
At the time I didn't know that was what was causing it, I was just swapping out various parts to see if it went away. I first got it to go away when I installed the metal head... but the metal head and metal swash was a killer for flight times. After that I ordered the derlin head thinking that the lighter weight (lighter than stock) would be the perfect upgrade but then I was breaking blades (due to the smaller pivot pins). That lead to trying to find blades that fit these smaller pivot pins. I've ordered some Solo Pro blades so they should not only fit the smaller pivot pins but have the correct mounting for the mixer arms. My temp solution from the LHS was the Revell ProtoCX blades.
Yes, it's a mess but she flies.
Right after I got it assembled and tested, the postman delivered my 1st shipment of Real V911 parts. I had ordered misc parts several weeks ago not knowing what I might need in the future... I did order a new head. Now I'm debating when to install the new V911 head.
My original head looks fine but it does have the shudder (wobble) problem. It would be nice if I could visually see the defect but I really can't. Any suggestions on where i should be looking in order to see where my original head has a problem??
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Solo Pro/BravoSX Motor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
... so I've got an extra SoloPro motor to play with. If more power is needed.... the BravoSX motor is beastly.
Yea, I'd love to hear some real world comparisons of either the SoloPro motor or the BravoSX motor in the V911. Do you get faster flight speeds? Longer flight times?? If it is just a more reliable motor, that's not enough for me to swap out a working V911 motor but if there are other benefits... I'd be all over it. Maybe fly better outside in mild wind?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
The main reason I went to the Derlin Head was to fix my bad wobble problem. At the time I didn't know that was what was causing it, I was just swapping out various parts to see if it went away.
I've been storing my V911 like this to keep the flybar straight, and it seems to have helped cure the shudder issue on mine. The flybar seems to take a sag quite a bit from gravity if the heli is stored on the skids.

The shudder problem showed up on mine after I had it awhile, and after the flybar seemed to be sagging noticeably with time.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Jan 28, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:45 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,835 Posts
Ken, I know that you were chasing that shuddering problem that you post a video about. After all the changes you've tried, could you say that it is gone? If so, what do you think was the cause of it in the first place?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
211 Posts
delete.
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Last edited by gettinglucky; Jan 28, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Ken, I know that you were chasing that shuddering problem that you post a video about. After all the changes you've tried, could you say that it is gone? If so, what do you think was the cause of it in the first place?
I'm pretty sure it was my stock V911 head that was the root of my shudder problem. It was not there with the metal head, it was not there with the derlin head. I had also changed the linkage parts and flybar but that didn't fix it so, in my case, there was something wrong with my V911 head. Nothing obvious when you look at it. I'll install the new V911 head sometime soon and put all stock V911 parts back, except the swashplate.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,835 Posts
Yes, I would very much like to hear back from you and you have a chance to put the stock head back. I wonder if the shuddering problem will re-occur when you do that. Thanks, Ken.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:05 PM
Confused old phart
United States, TN, Savannah
Joined Jun 2011
30 Posts
I looked all through my rc parts and found a Hobbyzone Champ motor that was the exact same size as my bad v911 motor. I thought I would give it a try and guess what ...? It worked perfectly

My flight times went from 45 seconds to a little over 8 minutes Now who woulda thunk it?

Robert
Ruptured_Duck is offline Find More Posts by Ruptured_Duck
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruptured_Duck View Post
I looked all through my rc parts and found a Hobbyzone Champ motor that was the exact same size as my bad v911 motor. I thought I would give it a try and guess what ...? It worked perfectly

My flight times went from 45 seconds to a little over 8 minutes Now who woulda thunk it?

Robert
8 Minutes, that's great man!!!

Let us know if it is a consistent 8 minutes.. you might have a real winner there.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Testing my 808 #3 keychain camera

Ordered this a while back and I've had it for about a week now. Broke it out yesterday but actually forgot why I bought it. Tried connecting it to a couple of my Helis but was too heavy to fly with it attached... then I remembered... I wanted to attach it to a pair of glasses (velcro) so that I could video tape the flights of my heli without using a stationary camera. Works pretty good considering.

V911_Mutant_KeyCamVid2 (2 min 1 sec)
Last edited by cpuken; Jan 28, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruptured_Duck View Post

Robert
It's good to hear that a bad V911 is rescueable with the right part(s)... My V911 was like that too, worked for 45 seconds--- then no lift. I thought it was the battery gone bad...
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
It's good to hear that a bad V911 is rescueable with the right part(s)... My V911 was like that too, worked for 45 seconds--- then no lift. I thought it was the battery gone bad...
GettingLucky, what kind of flight times are you getting with the SoloPro Motor?