SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
All that metal looks heavy. Has anyone weighed it?
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:48 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Shudder Issue Cause?

Has anyone tired the new spare set of blades to see it that cures the shudder? I'm wondering if a few nicks in the leading edge of the blades could disturb the airfoil and thereby cause a slightly different lift on each blade, and therefore cause the shutter issue. Seems a lot of people are seeing the shudder show up after some flight time, and no doubt some hard crashes.
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Jan 22, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:05 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,340 Posts
The Trex swash guide pin is really short. You'll have to extend that And relocate the swash pin guide on the frame so it's center.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,114 Posts
I was looking at my spare set of blades and noticed they are marked with 'A's on them, whereas my installed blades are marked with 'B'. I see no difference between the sets but thought it was weird they would mark them like this.

I have gotten the vibration you all are experienceing, and it was either due to a ball link binding or something out of balance. One thing I've gotten in the habit of is that when reinstalling parts on the shaft is alternating the screw heads so not all the screw heads are on the same side of the shaft.

Also I repaired my conopy from crashes but a piece broke off where the lower mount hole is and noticed that my canopy would occassionally get skewed as a result. I'm bonding a piece of lexan to repair that hole now as I noticed I would have to add extra trim whenever the canopy was askew.

From the Solo Pro thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337008

Q 12: I have a Bravo SX, and sometimes it wobbles during flight. What is wrong, and can I fix it?

Read that section. There's quite a bit of play. I went to Ace to find some small washers, but couldn't get anything to fit the bill. I'm thinking of using small O-rings or even cut some wire insulation to act as washers to take up this play. You'll see what I'm talking about if you hold your blades and move them in the direction of the feathering shaft. You'll see your linkages move as you do this.

Also from the Solo Pro thread:

"Important!: Should you decide to replace the main shaft, observe the position of the little collar beneath the swash. It should have the ridge facing down. Mounting it the wrong way will cause trim problems."
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Has anyone tired the new spare set of blades to see it that cures the shutter? I'm wondering if a few nicks in the leading edge of the blades could disturb the airfoil and thereby cause a slightly different lift on each blade, and therefore cause the shutter issue. Seems a lot of people are seeing the shutter show up after some flight time, and no doubt some hard crashes.
For me the new blades didn't have any effect. I had broken a blade (near the mount point) a day or so ago, so I've installed the spare blades and those are the ones in use for those two videos.

I put the metal swash back on and did the WD40 on the parts. One of the ball link parts broke so I also replaced that. It flew better but the shudder was still there.

I did notice there was NO SHUDDER when flying backwards or if there is, it is minimal. After I saw that, I went in disconnected the linkage from the servo responsible for Fowrard/Reverse flight and did about 2 turns to make that linkage longer just to see if there was a sweet spot coming from that servo... It gave it a backwards bias so I had to trim that out but it may actually have less shudder now. I'll have to try a few more flights to confirm this. It wasn't completely gone but I do think it was reduced.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I have gotten the vibration you all are experiencing, and it was either due to a ball link binding or something out of balance. One thing I've gotten in the habit of is that when reinstalling parts on the shaft is alternating the screw heads so not all the screw heads are on the same side of the shaft.
I did the screw head offset trick when I took my main head off to RTV glue my swash plate together. So the main head and main gear screw heads are aligned, and the collar below the swash screw head is 180 deg out. My V911 still has a slight shudder. Note - my V911 came out of the box with all 3 screw heads aligned, so not sure if offsetting them really makes much difference of not. Heck, could be it was designed to balance out with them all aligned (?).

I did notice all the axial play in the blades along their pivot axis, but that's been there the whole time and my V911 never really shuttered until lately.

cpuken - I did notice too when putting a hair reverse stick while hovering it seemed to calm the shutters down. Strange.

Although, if you find the "sweet spot" for the flybar pivot screw tightness, it does seem to have the most effect as you have demonstrated in you shudder videos..
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Jan 22, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I did the screw head offset trick when I took my main head off to RTV glue my swash plate together. So the man head and main gear screw heads are aligned, and the collar below the swash screw head is 180 deg out. My V911 still has the shudder.

I did notice all the axial play in the blades along their pivot axis, but that's been there the whole time and my V911 never really shuttered until lately.

cpuken - I did notice too when putting a hair reverse stick while hovering it seemed to calm the shutters down. Strange.

Although, if you find the "sweet spot" for the flybar pivot screw tightness, it does seem to have the most effect as you have demonstrated in you shudder videos..
WHAT is RTV glue???

Please enlighten me
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:22 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
WHAT is RTV glue???

Please enlighten me
Its' just black RTV silicon adhesive ... used mostly in the automotive world. Something I had laying around in the garage. It worked well for the swash plate glue job, but I'd think you could use any kind of glue for plastic. With the RTV, I could probably get it back apart easier though then if I used CA (superglue).

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._Sealant_b.htm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I was looking at my spare set of blades and noticed they are marked with 'A's on them, whereas my installed blades are marked with 'B'. I see no difference between the sets but thought it was weird they would mark them like this.
i`ll bet these blades were made originally for co-axial helis and when they started this little adventure into making these little fixed pitch helis, they found the most common blade at the cheapest cost they could.
But, on most co-axial helis, the A and B blades are actually different. the leading edges are on opposite sides sense we all know the upper and lower blades turn i opposite directions.

i still have many sets of co-axial blades laying around from over 4 years ago, maybe i already have some spare blades on hand for the v911 when it arrives at the end of next month.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:08 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx1326 View Post
Not to re-hash an old thread but does anyone know if these Xtreme upgrades for the TRex100 will fit the shaft of the v911? This would get the flybar beneath the main blades and from what I've read, the parts are pretty precise.

The swash looks pretty robust and with the drill outs on the arms, may be a bit less weight than the "clone" swashes.

Any thoughts or ideas? At the very least, would the TRex swash work with the standard v911 head and flybar?

Pictures included for your viewing enjoyment.

Thanks
No idea if thats gonna fly - but I can tell you you would have to "mess around" with the swash guide ... as you can see the pin for the TREX is in a different location than that for the Solo ...
... and the V911 has (stock) the same location as the Solo ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Metal Head & Metal Swash test flight

Since I have not been able to get rid of the shudder problem outlined earlier, I thought I'd install the metal head that came with the CNC Metal Kit that I had purchased. I had already installed the Metal Swash Plate and that appears to be a good upgrade but had no plans of installing the metal head because of the weight increase the heli would have to deal with.
But, since I've been trying to diagnose the shudder problem I thought I'd give it a shot. 1st, the post that the wings fit over are of a smaller diameter on the metal kit then the stock... wasn't sure how that would work, thought there might be too much play there but that wasn't an issue.

There was NO shuddering but of course as you might expect, with 2 metal parts now installed, the flight time was only around 3 minutes!!

So can I deduce that there is a problem with the stock head for this Heli??

Ken
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:18 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Thanks for the info, cpuken.
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
i still have many sets of co-axial blades laying around from over 4 years ago, maybe i already have some spare blades on hand for the v911 when it arrives at the end of next month.
I doubt it, as the blades on the V911 mount very differently than any co-axial heli blades I've seen.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
So can I deduce that there is a problem with the stock head for this Heli??

Ken
sounds very likely,
who knows, that head hub could have came from a bad injection molding run. instead of tossing the whole batch, they decided to just run it and see if they catch any flack over it.

do you have anyway to check its balance? it could have a little more plastic on one side compared to the other, it could be just enough to cause it to turn in-true.
heck, it could have a air pocket in it somewhere, so it has less plastic in that spot than the other side.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,552 Posts
How It All Works?

(Sorry for cross posting but I'm sure others would like to also know the mechanics of these 2 servo, flybar, FP Helis)

The swash, the flybar, the blades?

I'm trying to determine how much play I have in the linkage, swash, etc?

Depending on where the swash is rotated, cyclic has some to no effect on the blades themselves.

A primer on 4ch FP heli mechanics would really help me understand the theory behind these birds.

Do all of these; MSR, Solo, Solo Pro, VS911 operate the same way? (2 servo, 4 channels)?

Thanks, I really need to know if something is grossly wrong with my 9958 or if I really suck that bad!

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr