HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
mods

I just ordered one of these I was wondering if anybody has done or heard of any fly bar mods/weight removal, talking about the V911
last48 is offline Find More Posts by last48
Last edited by last48; Jan 21, 2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: off topic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
You're joking, right?

The GCP is a bad heli? Do you actually own one?

I own 2.

The only problem with the Genius is in 6X mode, and that problem is easily remedied by raising the RX slightly.

The heli is perfectly balanced, too, hence the reason no trim, weight, ETC.. needs to be added.

Besides, most of us fly in 3 axis mode and it flies flawlessly, apart from the slight drift which is again easily solved in the 2801/devo.

The Genius is leaps and bounds ahead of the v911. What's more, the GCP is a 3D hobby grade heli' (very agile) while the V911 is nothing much more than a disposable toy, and that's reflected by its price and poor workmanship.

I also own a v911 which was DOA, and have also flown one for a short duration (2 mins was more than enough), so I feel i'm qualified to offer good opinion on aesthetics and flight characteristics.
1. I seen the videos of the flips. 1 MiniCP = 4-6 GeniusCP's and I'm not talking about prices...

2. I wasn't comparing 3D CP to FP. I was comparing hobby grade 1st gen (Genius) to hobby grade 2nd gen (Mini)...
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Last edited by gettinglucky; Jan 21, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
I seen the videos of the flips. 1 MiniCP = 4-6 GeniusCP's and I'm not talking about prices...
As neither of us own a Mini CP, I think the best thing to do is wait for RCG members to provide some good old fashioned unbiased reviews.

I believe a couple of people have already got them, but i've not kept upto speed on the Mini CP as it's not on my wishlist, just yet.

The way I read #1746 was that you were indicating that the Genius is unbalanced in terms of weight distribution (which it most certainly isn't) as compared to the v911, then saying that the Mini CP has improved on this.

I know little about the Mini CP, apart from the telemetry aspect.

Anyway... I've been off topic for quite some time, so let's allow this thread to proceed on subject.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Last edited by Username>; Jan 21, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
So anyway....

Who sells these metal swash plates for the V911 ?
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
DrBen, Welcome to RCG. I read your post and took a good look at the picture, which helped explain a lot of things. First of all, the 2-3mm gap between the swash plate and the bottom of the head rotor is NORMAL. The really critical distance is the distance between to balls, connected by the links. Actually, your swash is not attached to the shaft. It is suspended by those links!

I agree with Daryoon. Looking at the picture, I think your swash plate has begun to separate. From the picture, the right side has a large gap than the left. So, you'd want to adjust that first.

And you're right, the guide pin of the swash is almost at the lowest point of the guide slot. Why? It's an indication that your swash plate is tilting backwards. And that, my friend, is the reason that your helicopter is sliding back.

You asked if you should add weight or adjust trim. I would always advice adjust trim, because adding weight takes a toll on the helicopter. You should adjust the trim, so that the swash is more level, and your helicopter doesn't slide backwards. You would want to shorten the right servo arm (in the picture). Although you have not complained about rolling right, from the looks of it, I would guess that shortening that left arm also. But your helicopter will tell you what it really needs. And when you get your helicopter trimmed, your guide pin would be right about center.
Thanks HeliPad - I appreciate the help! I've learned tons from this site now that I've got the bug I've double checked and my swash seems to be quite intact, the gap between the part w/ the bearing and the piece above (w/ 4 ball arms, attached to the shaft) is even all the way around. Out of the box the whole thing was tilted back severely, I have shortened the right hand arm so now the back right hand side is lowest and the front left highest, which accounts for the uneven gap in the photo. Sounds like I should shorten both until the swash is near level? You can see that quite a bit of thread on the metal rods is still showing, so I will screw in the black plastic heads on both sides.
drbenjamin is offline Find More Posts by drbenjamin
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,363 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=solo...w&ved=0CFMQrQQ

It does add some weight leading to decreased run times, but you get better cyclics. I'm going to try and retrofit an Align Trex 100 stock swash with integrated metal ball.

I wonder if there's a differnence other than color between the black one and the all aluminimum-colored one.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
@drbenjamin,
You need to put the trims on the transmitter back to center. Then mechanically trim your Heli by lengthening or shortening those servo arm linkages. You already got the right idea. Click on my name to read my blog post about that topic. It's important to do to all heli if you want hands off hover.
Thanks Daryoon! I'm on it!

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Update - you guys were right, my swash plate had separated. I disassembled the top end to get it off the shaft and clicked it back together. That gap was the reason I had to crank my servo arms so short, once it was gone I got the swash plate nicely centered. And what a difference! I can't believe how much more stable it is. Thanks loads for the help, it's a lot more fun to fly this now! We've been snowed in here in WA, so I've only flown it indoors. Can't wait to take it outside!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:10 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,703 Posts
DrBen, I'm sure that Daryoon feels the same way when I say this. We are very glad that you found and fixed the problem. The credit really goes back to you when you took that great picture which showed the problems. Daryoon and I were just having that conversation the other day. We love to help, but we need help from the owners, too. The more you could tell us, show us, the quicker we could get to the bottom of the problem. So, give yourself a pat on your back. Good job!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:18 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbenjamin View Post
Update - you guys were right, my swash plate had separated. I disassembled the top end to get it off the shaft and clicked it back together. That gap was the reason I had to crank my servo arms so short, once it was gone I got the swash plate nicely centered. And what a difference! I can't believe how much more stable it is. Thanks loads for the help, it's a lot more fun to fly this now! We've been snowed in here in WA, so I've only flown it indoors. Can't wait to take it outside!
My swash can be squeezed together without taking anything apart (I have thin fingers).

My v911 has been a godsend sence the Seattle snowstorm. Mine arrived the day before the snow, and work has been shutdown all week!!!!!
atkin is offline Find More Posts by atkin
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:33 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,818 Posts
CF Flybar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
spend the money on the xtreme carbon flybar. I still cant say enough how big of an improvement it makes.
I'm glad you like how the CF Flybar works on your V911.
My 1st one had to go to my downed SoloPro, kept on blowing-up flybars until I used the V911 flybar on it... works a treat! But the CF flybar is the real replacement! I installed it... and loved the stability of the large weights, alas one went richocheting away.... not to be found yet.
I was forced to use the small weights... and it was a little unsettling how whippy the Solo was with it. Now a day later... I really like the small weights! When flying FF in my room... I just have to think ahead of time and whip it 180 with aggression or she'll sweep into the wall with the wee weights on.
I can't wait to try my incoming CF flybar on my V911 with the metal swash on it. make 'er corner harder with more precision... i'd guess...

my battle-tested SoloPro...
If you notice on the second pic.. the Dirty Main Gear. I developed a new gear grind on my V911 and it had a dirty main gear with a couple of darker spots. The darker spots turned out to be crud from crashing into odd dusty spots.. Once cleaned back to whiteness... the gear-grind was gone. So, clean your dirty gear! lol
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:52 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
yep, i did it with my collective pitch 450`s all the time.
but a co-axial will hover a whole battery with only throttle input, you are not doing that with either a fixed or collective pitch heli.
key words you typed? 5 to 10 seconds. co-axial? the whole battery.
I'll see how long I can hover the V911 with just the throttle input when the trims are tuned. I'm sure it's way beyond 10 sec. Once the trims are set, it seems to hover in one spot pretty darn good.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:58 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
I see Hobby King is also selling the V911 ... but they call it the "Hobbyking FP100". The price is decent, but don't know what the shipping charge would be. I see it's currently on back order however.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...de_2_RTF_.html
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:08 AM
Croatia, County of Zagreb, Velika Gorica
Joined Dec 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
So anyway....

Who sells these metal swash plates for the V911 ?
I see here after a couple seconds on e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NE4210007-Ni...item2c60bcef98

http://stores.ebay.com/heliexpert/So...&_stpos=&gbr=1

but see here, couple posts before
nick007shadow is offline Find More Posts by nick007shadow
Last edited by nick007shadow; Jan 22, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:10 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
I've double checked and my swash seems to be quite intact, the gap between the part w/ the bearing and the piece above (w/ 4 ball arms, attached to the shaft) is even all the way around.
But was the collar with the 4 balls pushed all the way down into the swash plate bearing? When the collar is all the way down, there should about 0.5mm of gap between it and the swash housing.

Quote:
Out of the box the whole thing was tilted back severely ...
You can't really go by sight when the heli isn't in operation. When my V911 is just sitting there with no power, it looks like the swash plate is tilted backwards too, but it hovers just fine when flying.

Adjust you servo linkages by this technique.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542968